Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Boldin says he will retire if released

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    You may well be right. But I guess my thinking is that under the status quo Boldin's contract ends at the end of the 2013 season. Even an extension means they would now have to allocate some cap money for him in 2014 and possibly beyond, right? And if he then retires anyway after 2013, wouldn't there be dead money to account for in 2014? Admittedly I don't have the best handle on these intricacies. I'm just assuming that even an extension isn't wholly without consequences.

That said, I hope Boldin will be a Raven at least for 2013.
    Basically everything you said was correct. An extenstion that lowers his cap number involves a bonus. You use a bonus to push cap dollars into the future.

I just think we could give him 3 years(including the upcoming year) and at worst be left with 1/3 of the bonus we give him this year, assuming he plays two more years. that's acceptable if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    You may well be right. But I guess my thinking is that under the status quo Boldin's contract ends at the end of the 2013 season. Even an extension means they would now have to allocate some cap money for him in 2014 and possibly beyond, right?
    I would assume they would structure it so that they would be able to afford him from a Cap perspective for the next 2 years. After that, in 2015, the Cap should jump substancially and they can much more easily afford to deal wtih any dead money then.

A 3 year/$15M deal with a $6M bonus (and base salaries of $1M, $3M, $5M) makes sense to me. It give Boldin $7M next year, instead of the $6M he's presently set to make - which should be enticing to him - and would reduce his 2013 Cap hit by $3M.

His 2014 Cap number would be a reasonable $5M.

The 3rd year would just be fluff and he could be released with only $2M in dead money that could much more easily be dealt with at that point.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I love Anquan Boldin... hope he retires as a Raven after getting at least another Lombardi! .oO(am a greedy bitch arent I?)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    I would assume they would structure it so that they would be able to afford him from a Cap perspective for the next 2 years. After that, in 2015, the Cap should jump substancially and they can much more easily afford to deal wtih any dead money then.

A 3 year/$15M deal with a $6M bonus (and base salaries of $1M, $3M, $5M) makes sense to me. It give Boldin $7M next year, instead of the $6M he's presently set to make - which should be enticing to him - and would reduce his 2013 Cap hit by $3M.

The 3rd year would just be fluff and he could be released with only $2M in dead money that could much more easily be dealt with.
    You are the man Ravor. You are this close to being called Ravor Ramon.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post

The 3rd year would just be fluff and he could be released with only $2M in dead money that could much more easily be dealt with at that point.
    Thanks for the info and the example, Ravor. Scenario seems quite plausible; I'd be all for it.

Blog Entries

Not only is Boldin a popular presence in Baltimore, but Ozzie also really loves Boldin and always has. I have to think they'll do everything they can to extend him. Everyone on the team loves him, with Ray Lewis gone, we need leaders like Boldin in the locker room.

I love this guy

Good news, sounds like he is very flexible reguarding an extension.

Blog Entries

Btw two questions.

1. Does Boldin go into the ring of honor when he retires a Raven, after probably two more productive seasons (under Caldwell he will go over 1k in at least one year, you heard it here first)

2. Assuming that happens, is he HOF worthy?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Q's catches this year reminded me of all the O's 1 run wins last year.

You just kept thinking "how long can this keep up"?

And they just kept coming.

Is it repeatable? I doubt it.

I love Q as a player but he really doesn't separate, and is quite slow at this point. His hands are good, and his toughness and attack on the ball is unquestioned. But I could see the Ravens going more youth oriented. If they pay Joe what he wants, he is expected to perform with any WR. None of our young guys have seized a role, which is the concern.

I really want to see if Streeter can contribute, and if Doss can turn things around. Jacoby can't be a #2 either. Despite his heroics, I still don't trust his hands.

The question is always how long is too long with respect to older players. See Mason and Heap. It hurts to see them go but is a necessity in today's NFL cap world..
    boldin's game has never been built on speed, when he is one on one he is open. Now that they are finally using him out of the slot he is dominating. I'd like to see him extended through 2015. Ozzie loves Boldin, he isn't going anywhere. We got great production from Mason well into his 30's. I would expect even better from Boldin.

BOLDIN ON PFT -- NBC SPORTS after commercial!!

ON NOW!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!

We really need to extend him.

He really loves this team.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Btw two questions.

1. Does Boldin go into the ring of honor when he retires a Raven, after probably two more productive seasons (under Caldwell he will go over 1k in at least one year, you heard it here first)

2. Assuming that happens, is he HOF worthy?
    1. Not so sure about that...

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...-receiving.htm

Boldin is currently 7th in both receptions and yards in Ravens history. Needs a little over 3000 yards and a little under 300 receptions to best Mason, who is tops in both. And Mason seems to frequently be not ROH worthy...

Don't get me wrong, I think Boldin's impact to the team was much more than Mason's, but in terms of where he sits in the franchise's history, I think you'd have to put in Heap and Mason before Boldin can get in. Hell, he's still behind TRAVIS TAYLOR right now (He'll bust that up in 2013 easily).

2 is possible, he's already over 10000 receiving yards, and has 772 receptions. So three more years might get him to 1000 career catches, and hopefully up near 13000 yards. Still, it'll be a tough call, because he's not even tops in the active NFL for those categories (7th in yards, #6 is Fitzgerald...Tied for 4th in catches, if you take out TEs)

In comparison, here's a name...Henry Ellard. 814 catches, 13777 yards, 65 TDs. Retired since 1998. Not a HOF finalist.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!