Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 98
  1. #25

    Re: Boldin says he will retire if released



    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Q's catches this year reminded me of all the O's 1 run wins last year.

    You just kept thinking "how long can this keep up"?

    And they just kept coming.

    Is it repeatable? I doubt it.

    I love Q as a player but he really doesn't separate, and is quite slow at this point. His hands are good, and his toughness and attack on the ball is unquestioned. But I could see the Ravens going more youth oriented. If they pay Joe what he wants, he is expected to perform with any WR. None of our young guys have seized a role, which is the concern.

    I really want to see if Streeter can contribute, and if Doss can turn things around. Jacoby can't be a #2 either. Despite his heroics, I still don't trust his hands.

    The question is always how long is too long with respect to older players. See Mason and Heap. It hurts to see them go but is a necessity in today's NFL cap world..
    I'd say Boldin has got two years left before he gets to wear Heap was when we cut him....
    Way Down South in New Orleans




  2. #26

    Re: Boldin says he will retire if released

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I love Q as a player but he really doesn't separate, and is quite slow at this point. His hands are good, and his toughness and attack on the ball is unquestioned. But I could see the Ravens going more youth oriented. If they pay Joe what he wants, he is expected to perform with any WR. None of our young guys have seized a role, which is the concern.
    Well, quite honestly, he does not have to seperate - Flacco just throws it up, and Q muscles it down, without dropping it! As long as he can still jump and out tough the opponent, keep him.....Streeter will just have to wait until he proves he is the better receiver!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton




  3. #27

    Re: Boldin says he will retire if released

    Here's what he says on PFT Live -

    “For me that’s not something that I worry about,” Boldin told Erik Kuselias of Pro Football Talk. “I think you go out and let your play speak for itself. You deal with that if you have to, but, I think for m — I know for me — Baltimore is the only place I want to play. It’s the last place that I will play. For me, I’ll retire a Raven, I’m not putting on any other uniform.”

    Boldin then reiterated the point.

    “I won’t play in another uniform,” Boldin said. “We have a saying, once a Raven, always a Raven, and I’ll always be a Raven.”
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cut-by-ravens/

    Not exactly "I'll retire if I'm released", but I would say it would definitely indicate a willingness to work something out and stay.

    EDIT: Although after rereading the piece on PFT, it's unclear if he was asked directly - "what would you do if cut?"

    Either way, I think it shows a real willingness to stay around.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  4. #28

    Re: Boldin says he will retire if released

    Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    I'd say Boldin has got two years left before he gets to wear Heap was when we cut him....
    I'd love it if that was the case. I know he had a knee issue at the end of last year, but generally seems in decent health. Had one of the weirdest injuries ever, but not to any part that matters in football.




  5. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Deep in the bowels of Maryland suburbia
    Posts
    1,785

    Re: Boldin says he will retire if released

    I know the FO has stated they don't want to repeat the mistakes of 2001 and do a lot of restructuring or extensions, and I certainly agree with that point of view.

    But ...if they can manage to make one exception to that rule, Anquan Boldin has to be that exception.




  6. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,217
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Boldin says he will retire if released

    I wish Ed Reed had that mindset...

    But still, you have to love Q. He, Ed, Suggs, Flacco and Birk were the guys I was most chuffed for when they won the SB




  7. #31

    Re: Boldin says he will retire if released

    Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    I know the FO has stated they don't want to repeat the mistakes of 2001 and do a lot of restructuring or extensions, and I certainly agree with that point of view.

    But ...if they can manage to make one exception to that rule, Anquan Boldin has to be that exception.
    I think they were more talking about restructuring deals like Ngata and Sizzle... as in simply converting salary to bonus money, to kick the can down the street. EXTENDING a player is a different story in my mind.




  8. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Deep in the bowels of Maryland suburbia
    Posts
    1,785

    Re: Boldin says he will retire if released

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I think they were more talking about restructuring deals like Ngata and Sizzle... as in simply converting salary to bonus money, to kick the can down the street. EXTENDING a player is a different story in my mind.
    You may well be right. But I guess my thinking is that under the status quo Boldin's contract ends at the end of the 2013 season. Even an extension means they would now have to allocate some cap money for him in 2014 and possibly beyond, right? And if he then retires anyway after 2013, wouldn't there be dead money to account for in 2014? Admittedly I don't have the best handle on these intricacies. I'm just assuming that even an extension isn't wholly without consequences.

    That said, I hope Boldin will be a Raven at least for 2013.




  9. #33

    Re: Boldin says he will retire if released

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I think they were more talking about restructuring deals like Ngata and Sizzle... as in simply converting salary to bonus money, to kick the can down the street. EXTENDING a player is a different story in my mind.
    Agreed.

    Totally different situation.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  10. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arbutus
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Boldin says he will retire if released

    Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Well, quite honestly, he does not have to seperate - Flacco just throws it up, and Q muscles it down, without dropping it! As long as he can still jump and out tough the opponent, keep him.....Streeter will just have to wait until he proves he is the better receiver!
    Seriously, dude took that corner from Indy's arm as a second trophy.....




  11. #35

    Re: Boldin says he will retire if released

    Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    I'd say Boldin has got two years left before he gets to wear Heap was when we cut him....
    I disagree. Boldin lights people up, Heap got lit up. Boldin is WAY stronger than Heap. Well Boldin might not "light" people up but he's definitely more physical than most CBs.

    These are the top five receivers from last year in terms of receptions: Megatron, Welker, Marshall, Andre Johnson, Reggie. Welker, Andre and Reggie will all be 32 or older starting next season.

    BTW those 5 guys were the only receivers with more than 100 receptions (and other than Marshall none of them had more than 6 TDs). With a new offensive philosophy next year I could see Boldin with a boat load of catches.




  12. #36

    Re: Boldin says he will retire if released

    As long as Boldin is being paid by the organization, unless he gets emotional over back to back Championships, he won't retire. At least, the front office would not expect that.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland