Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Ladariu Webb...

Webb is a cornerstone of the defense short and long-term, but I wonder how effective he'll be in 2013. ACLs are just so hard sometimes, it often takes a full year or more to really get back to 100%, mentally even moreso than physically, but at least he knows what he's up against having gone through it before.

I won't spend too many words rehashing an issue we've discussed so much in the past, but if Webb's recovery speed/flexibility/etc. aren't 100% for 2013, does it make sense to move him to free safety for a year? We know he can likely play the position at a very high level, and it would give a draft pick or Christian Thompson another year to develop as the starter in 2014... just a thought, and I reiterate temporary only!

Full disclosure, I still think with his skillset Webb is a near-shutdown/Pro Bowl level cornerback, but an All-Pro/top 3 in the league level free safety.

I'm pretty confident that Webb can return to form. He went to that wizard Dr. Andrews who put Peterson within 9 yards of the record and Webb knows what it takes to rehab an ACL. They say it's hard to tear it again (unless your RG3 I guess). He's also a very cerebral player who watches as much film as anyone and has tried to absorb all the knowledge he can from Reed.

Blog Entries

He's solid in corner blitz too. Hope he has a full recovery

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    The key with Jacoby is that he costs us about 4 mil against the cap. That's a significant portion when we're looking at places to get cap relief.

What I'd like to see, but it may be overkill, is extending both Jacoby and Boldin to lower their cap numbers. Boldin probably is more likely than Jacoby.
    I'd have no problem giving them both 2 year deals. Especially Jacoby since he's younger. Hell, give him a 4 year deal as he's been a key cog for this team just from his special teams plays, regardless of his abilities as a WR.

Questions about Cary Williams' return, and LWebb coming off injury, plus the unknown development of Asa Jackson, could very well result in the Ravens adding a CB in free agency or the draft. It's almost impossible to have too many good CBs in a pass-happy league and long season. And if the investment in depth isn't costly (cheap FA or draft pick), it wouldn't be a bad move.

Blog Entries

Maybe not this off season because the cap is too tight but...

Is there any benefit in putting osemele on a new contract? He has been a beast which will in 3 or 4 seasons warrant a ridiculous contract. Any sense in even thinking about this to tie him down long term and save some cap in the coming years?

Thoughts?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by londonraven View Post
    Maybe not this off season because the cap is too tight but...

Is there any benefit in putting osemele on a new contract? He has been a beast which will in 3 or 4 seasons warrant a ridiculous contract. Any sense in even thinking about this to tie him down long term and save some cap in the coming years?

Thoughts?
    That's a stretch. He's playing on a nice, cheap rookie contract. You re-up him now, his agent will (smartly) demand more money. You'd end up paying him more now, and really only add about a year or two to his deal.

Ozzie's MO is usually not to do a deal until RFA or UFA hits.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

That's a stretch. He's playing on a nice, cheap rookie contract. You re-up him now, his agent will (smartly) demand more money. You'd end up paying him more now, and really only add about a year or two to his deal.

Ozzie's MO is usually not to do a deal until RFA or UFA hits.
    "A Rookie Contract for a Drafted Rookie may not be renegotiated, amended or altered in any way until after the final regular season game of the player's third contract year."

I'm amazed that people still suggest dumping Jacoby. His returns and plays downfield won us so many games. You can't be sure you'll replicate that. He is just stupid fast.

Just another compliment to this team...we won most of our games without our best CB. Arguably, our best defender.

Corey Graham goes down as a MAJOR homerun this year. His play, along with Cary Williams, and a little bit Chykie Brown, kept our secondary good enough to win the Super Bowl.
    Um no. Webb was part of 50% of our regular season wins. We were 5-1 with him and he was a HUGE part of it. He would have been in consideration for DPOY the way he started the season. Our CBs got picked on during the playoffs, sometimes they stood up, but for stretches they were the weak link. Webb is a shutdown corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    Um no. Webb was part of 50% of our regular season wins. We were 5-1 with him and he was a HUGE part of it. He would have been in consideration for DPOY the way he started the season. Our CBs got picked on during the playoffs, sometimes they stood up, but for stretches they were the weak link. Webb is a shutdown corner.
    Add playoffs and that equals most of our wins without him.

Not discounting Webb, but as Scally was saying, it's a testament to the strength of our team.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Lardarius Webb...

We can't count on Webb (or Suggs) making full recoveries. Not worried -- we have Oz. But let's stay realistic.

Boldin - definitely. Jacoby -- "nice to have."