Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ozzie is 3 steps ahead working hard for repeat, says pieces are there

Man, this guy never sleeps. Great article here describing how hard Ozzie is working for a repeat. He says the pieces are there for another strong run.

Damn - he wants 3 rings before he retires-lol.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...ncy-super-bowl

Re: Ozzie is 3 steps ahead working hard for repeat, says pieces are there

As we know it's very, very difficult to repeat much less get back to the Superbowl. My expectations of the front office is that they continue to buid long term and field a competitive, contending team every year.

I like the emphasis on getting the new players on the field so that they can guage their long term potential halfway through their rookie contracts instead of in their final years of their contracts.

Blog Entries

He put alot of time into expanding the scouting department this offseason, I guess with 11 picks to cover. He hired about 5 extra position scouts to watch college and pro film and to cover all the pro days all over the country that happen on the same days. They aren't main territory scouts but assistent scouts than relying on outside scouting services. Other teams are doing the same thing, the Bears, Broncos and Chiefs have recently extended thier scouting departments also. With so many college teams using pro sets its hard to keep track of all these players that are more NFL ready than before. Plus, the college game is working its way into the pro game now and it use to be the other way around. Teams with the most good scouts will win out in the longrun. If anyone has the dreams of joining a scouting department this is the time to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Great article here describing how hard Ozzie is working for a repeat. He says the pieces are there for another strong run.
    Did you notice who the author is?

Mike Preston? Sporting News? Positive article on Ravens' chances of repeating? WTF?

We do know that Mike is a big Ozzie fan, so I guess it adds up.

Not exactly anything new or groundbreaking in this article. We already know Flacco is priority #1 and biggest needs are the middle of the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    He put alot of time into expanding the scouting department this offseason, I guess with 11 picks to cover. He hired about 5 extra position scouts to watch college and pro film and to cover all the pro days all over the country that happen on the same days. They aren't main territory scouts but assistent scouts than relying on outside scouting services. Other teams are doing the same thing, the Bears, Broncos and Chiefs have recently extended thier scouting departments also. With so many college teams using pro sets its hard to keep track of all these players that are more NFL ready than before. Plus, the college game is working its way into the pro game now and it use to be the other way around. Teams with the most good scouts will win out in the longrun. If anyone has the dreams of joining a scouting department this is the time to get started.
    I hadn't heard they added scouts. I did know at one time the Ravens were one of only five teams who didn't rely at all on one of the two scouting services, National Scouting Services and Blesto, and instead did all their own scouting (Indy, New England, Oakland...can't recall the last one).

Agent Jack Betcha wrote a nice piece for National Football Post a couple years ago where he wondered why teams don't spend more on scouting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Our own Boulder Colorado just left the forum because he got a scouting job with an NFL team if you believe it.

I didn't know Ozzie added all those scouts. I posted on another thread that Ozzie and Bellicheat decided back in their Cleveland days when both were babes in their jobs that they wouldn't join the scouting combines. They wanted their own reports. It would mean harder work and longer hours and they would have to hire more scouts. That's when they moved Phil Savage from a line coach to the scouting dept.

I didn't know they were still adding scouts. Phil had all his scouts at the Barn for Nasty's show the day after the Dwan Edwards draft. I talked to an old scout that came over from Cleveland with them. His name was Marciniak-sp. I said Ravens lost to Tenn in the playoffs because they ran over an undersized line. He said youre right and gave me his card and said to call him. I never did.

You're right Has, it adds up for Mikie. EVen a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-26-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I hadn't heard they added scouts. I did know at one time the Ravens were one of only five teams who didn't rely at all on one of the two scouting services, National Scouting Services and Blesto, and instead did all their own scouting (Indy, New England, Oakland...can't recall the last one).

Agent Jack Betcha wrote a nice piece for National Football Post a couple years ago where he wondered why teams don't spend more on scouting.
    Yes, they have added scouts as well as alot of other teams this season. Not your typical MAIN territorial scouts, but more personel assistents types who do all the film gathering and watching, background interviews and go to pro days with stop watches and cam corder grunt work type stuff. Way to many players now a days with small schools added in. Alot of gems get lost, teams want to leave no stone unturned these days. No way your main territory scouts can handle this anymore. It's a good way to break in the business if you got some credentials in your past...ie football background (college or pro...or have been a coach at some level.) Most pro days all on the same days and way to many schools. Give it a shot. I doubt the pay is high of course. Scout might be a generous term, more like grunt is probably more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    As we know it's very, very difficult to repeat much less get back to the Superbowl. My expectations of the front office is that they continue to buid long term and field a competitive, contending team every year.

I like the emphasis on getting the new players on the field so that they can guage their long term potential halfway through their rookie contracts instead of in their final years of their contracts.
    I agree, getting production early from rookie contracts is a key. You can't afford a team full of veteran contracts. KO, Upshaw and Piece were all great pick ups last year. Krueger is the worst case scenario. Production at the end of his rookie contract ensures he won't be here next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    I agree, getting production early from rookie contracts is a key. You can't afford a team full of veteran contracts. KO, Upshaw and Piece were all great pick ups last year. Krueger is the worst case scenario. Production at the end of his rookie contract ensures he won't be here next year.
    Exactly.

Get Joe signed, Ozzie!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    After the superbowl Ozzie and John mentioned that one of the keys to their success was having split training camps between the rookies and veterans. Rookies practiced on one end of the field and the veterans on the other. This way the rookies were getting more reps. Funny how subtle moves like this really pays dividends.