Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question "Seven Nation" chant & Ravens: is this our intangible "cheesehead", our "terrible towel"?

I recognize Baltimore didn't invent this chant, it goes back to Italian soccer fans. But in America, it is associated with one team - at least it is now.

Before the Super Bowl, people in Baltimore knew "Seven Nation Army" was a popular local chant.

AFTER the Super Bowl - the most watched program in American television history - the entire country now identifies the Ravens with the "Seven Nation Army" chant. From the random pregame show chants all the way to the eruptions inside the Superdome, it's a Ravens thing now.

The larger question is: is this part of our identity as Ravens fans now, or just a fad that will pass?

Re: "Seven Nation" chant & Ravens: is this our intangible "cheesehead", our "terrible towel"?

I think college teams use it also

Re: "Seven Nation" chant & Ravens: is this our intangible "cheesehead", our "terrible towel"?

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    I think college teams use it also
    This is correct. While we have come to terms with it in the NFL, it's still a "Meh" for me since others use it. But it does get hype though!

I think it's our Thing now. Other teams do use it, but those teams are in other sports like we've said (soccer, college football, etc.)

I recently had two new people move into my apartment from Germany and England. They are huge soccer fans and they root for the Ravens now--not only because the person who taught them American football was me (:D) but also because the chant is rowdy and recognizable, which are soccer qualities. When they were watching the SB and could hear it through the TV, they got really excited.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

I had never heard the Seven Nation Army chant before last years game against the Steelers (I believe), I never watch soccer and rarely watch college FB so because I'm so sheltered and all, I guess that chant will always mean Ravens to me. OT, a few times during and after the SB I heard the old Colts/ new Ravens Victory song and I ain't gonna lie I damn near cried. It's a tune that brings back so many memories and thoughts of people long gone that it gets to me every time.

Blog Entries

I've heard other NFL teams use it too. This season I heard it in KC and Seattle. No one seems as loud as the Ravens fans but when I hear it I can't think that it's a Ravens thing because it's in other places.

Blog Entries

I've seen people wanting to retire that chant and I came out swinging on that. But here is my issue with it...

So, in the stadium on gameday, it is a great rally cry when we make a big stop, or are rolling on offense. It's a very easy thing for people to jump in with, and you are LOOKING for that goosebump inducing roar of the crowd singing over top of the song. So there, we should still use it.

But that has become the goto for like EVERYTHING....and folks, when people do that without a large crowd or music there, it JUST SOUNDS STUPID. Our thing is "OOOOO, ooo, OO, oo, oo, ooooo, oooooo...."? I mean, it fits with the Orioles stuff, but...

What I'd prefer there, is that when you're trying to fire up a crowd outside the stadium, or anything like that, use the "What's Our Name? RAVENS" chant. I got that on film at the stadium, and it's awesome to hear the roar of the crowd screaming "RAVENS". And it doesn't sound stupid on it's own.

Rant over.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I have to admit, I was getting a little sick of it by Monday.

And if we want to be uber technical, Michigan State deserves the credit for starting it. They've been doing it since the song came out in '03.

Blog Entries

Atlanta fans were doing the chant pretty loudly in the NFCC. No it's not the Ravens thing but if the fans want to do it, what the heck

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I like the chant. It's easy for everyone to join in. Somewhat if the Ravens weren't the first team to use it. The Steelers sure as hell wasn't the first to use a towel.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I have to admit, I was getting a little sick of it by Monday.
    :word

If we want to be known for something as a fan-base, let's be known for having the best home record in football and (continue) to show up in massive numbers on the road.

12. Re: "Seven Nation" chant & Ravens: is this our intangible "cheesehead", our "terrible towel"?

I was down on bourbon street before kickoff. Two niners fans were talking smack to our group. Our drunk asses did the squirrel dance right in front of their face and it pissed them off to no end. We finished off with the Ravens chant and the whole street seemed to join in, hundreds maybe even thousands in purple. The niners fans weren't mad anymore they were intimidated and scared. You could see them asking themselves, "Who are these crazy people?" I love the chant and hope it's here to stay.