Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What will Caldwell do now he has a full offseason to prepare?

I know, it's quite a speculative question. But, I don't think it's really been asked yet.

That said, Caldwell was 'constrained' (not exactly the best word considering there's another Lombardi to adorn the corridors of Owings Mills) by the playbook and systems brought in by Cam. It was largely Air Coryell with a few tweaks.

Now, he has a full offseason to plan. He knows he's OC here. He also has knowledge that the vast majority of the stars are going to remain the same. Flacco's going to get his contract, one way or another. The RBs are still here. Boldin's not going anywhere you'd think and the TEs are RFAs so will also likely remain. The only lingering question is over LT (like every year) and maybe a question over what to do with Leach. Guessing from what Ozzie said, and while there's always the chance for smoke and mirrors, it's going to be heavily weighted to the other side of the ball. However, considering this is today's NFL, that's quite a nice luxury to have - you know what personnel you'll have, more or less.

Does he keep with the same sort of O that won the SB even though it's a very high risk/high reward scheme? Does he massively alter it to fit more of a style he's coached in the past and risk starting the season slow? Or perhaps go with some sort of hybrid or a diluted scheme?

What do you think he will do or what do you want him to do?

Blog Entries

Re: What will Caldwell do now he has a full offseason to prepare?

I bet Caldwell has all sorts of ideas. He's going to put in his offense. He and Joe have a real connection. They're going to be even better next season.

Blog Entries

I am hoping Caldwell can help Joe with his timing on short passes. To often Joe's passes are just a bit to late. Also don't think we are going to be able to keep Jim more than one year.

We've already seen wrinkles in the playbook. Did anyone else notice Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce in the same backfield during the SB? In the Denver game, it was noted that one of the touchdown plays was an old Peyton Manning/Colts staple play.

Caldwell has definitely modified the playbook and installed some of his own stuff. From everything I've read, he's incredibly intelligent. I'm willing to bet we see his own modified version of Cam's playbook in which he uses the same concepts but puts his own mad scientist spin on it.

Remember that Juan Castillo will be there "coordinating the run game". Yeah right, he'll be the psuedo line coach if he isn't already. I have a feeling that Leach will be a cap casualty and we'll be running a ton of 3 WR sets. Who do you cover when you've got speed on the outside w/ Smith and Jones, and Pitta and Boldin working the middle/seams. Then you've got to worry about Ray Rice or Pierce getting a handoff on top of that? The offense has the potential to be scary good.

He is going to spend a ton of time with Flacco. Joe will be a monster this year...

Attachment 1491

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    Remember that Juan Castillo will be there "coordinating the run game". Yeah right, he'll be the psuedo line coach if he isn't already.
    Ozzie even mentioned that Castillo was great at developing young linemen in the press conference, so you know he'll basically be the OL coach.

I really have no idea what to expect with Caldwell, but I'm sure it will be something great.

Could you imagine if we were to retain McKinnie and draft Barrett Jones? Under the guidance of Castillo that could be a dominating offensive line.

I would like to see Caldwelll implement more plays that have Pierce and Rice in the backfield at the same time, with Flacco in the shotgun during those formations. That would seriously throw off the opposing defense. I will say this: with a full offseason with Caldwell as OC and the majority of our playmakers coming back next year, we should be a freakin' dominant offense next year. Top ten, even.

Blog Entries

Get rid of the huddle all together. Why even huddle; just line up and let Joe survey the field. It's a big advantage and it keeps defense substitution to a minimum.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

If you watch the very first offensive play, the Ravens got Aldon Smith in coverage and eventually checked down to Leach. I later heard Simms say on inside the nfl that it was a formation the Ravens had never used before. Caldwell makes the Ravens dangerous.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CRZA938 View Post
    If you watch the very first offensive play, the Ravens got Aldon Smith in coverage and eventually checked down to Leach. I later heard Simms say on inside the nfl that it was a formation the Ravens had never used before. Caldwell makes the Ravens dangerous.
    They came out in 2 backs 0 te's and 3 wide. Flacco motions Rice out of the backfield. Then, Leach comes out of the backfield with nobody within 5 yards of him. Flacco hits him for a gain of 8 yards. It looks like Leach was the primary target on the play. It was a great drive starter.