Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Koch

Koch

With all of Joe & Jacoby and the rest of the crews great play down the stretch it didn't get talked about much - but was it me or did Koch really struggle down the stretch? Not just the shanked punt in the Super Bowl, but he didn't seem to be himself for the last month or so. I know some games were in the cold, but the other punters punted fine in the same conditions.

Thoughts?

Re: Koch

Maybe he was hurt. He made some tackles on ST that could've banged him up. At this point, I'm not concerned at all.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

I think he has been off for 1.5 years or so. He puts a ton of those short field kicks in the endzone, a lot more than he used to. If it saves cap $$$ I'd have no problem moving on even though he has been above avg over the years.

I noticed. I thought it was his worst game punting as a pro. Perhaps, as esmd suggests, he was hurt, though I don't think he had a decent punt all game.

Maybe he needed to get it out of his system and he'll do better next time we get to the Big Dance.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

I'm glad you posted this; I was going to, but felt weird about complaining about ANYTHING at this wonderful time!

I've always been a HUGE fan of Koch, but he's been sub-par lately. Not only the bad punts, but the number of punts going into the end zone. He's hitting them dead center instead of angling toward the 5-10 yard line like he used to.

If he's not hurt, it may be time to go shopping.

(His QB rating is great, though :)

Blog Entries

I've noticed his issues too.

Not sure what it is, but he needs to clean it up.

Punting from the 40 yard line and getting a net of 20 yards because of a touchback is not good. The shanked punt was horrible, and I kind of knew he was going to do it.

Hopefully the Ravens staff has seen this stuff and correct it.

This year: 28 inside the 20, 7 touchbacks (20% touchbacks)
    Last year: 21 inside the 20, 9 touchbacks (30% touchbacks)

He actually improved during the regular season vs. 2011. His net and avg return were also much better, but that's because special teams were much better.

I didn't see a problem until playoff time.

With so many late rund picks(4 comp plus natural picks) I'm starting to cme around to cutting Koch and replacing him on the cheap(sae for Vonta). I like both players, but you gotta cut corners sometimes, and these seem like acceptable corners to cut.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    With so many late rund picks(4 comp plus natural picks) I'm starting to cme around to cutting Koch and replacing him on the cheap(sae for Vonta). I like both players, but you gotta cut corners sometimes, and these seem like acceptable corners to cut.
    Maybe. But I'd like to replace him with a good punter who's also a football player. I love Tucker to death for his foot, but if Koch is the guy with the ball on that fake FG (not that he could've been the way the play was designed, but hear me out) he bulls his way for the extra yard to get the first down.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    What are the cap implications? I don't remember seeing Koch referenced in Ravor's article....

edit: Here it is.

Sam Koch ($1.9M)

That $1.9M is his base salary. If he can be cut with no dead money, we can surely get a competent rookie for a significant savings. I'm sure the FO and coaching staff are more in tune with Koch's current capabilities than I am.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I agree that Sam should be analyzed, BUT his 60+ yard free kick to end the Super Bowl to Ginn was money !!!!! I was praying he wouldn't shank it and have the 49ers fair catch it to set up a long Akers field goal attempt...

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Not to stray too far OT, but in considering the comments about "short field" punts that hit the end zone for touchbacks, what in the wide world of sports ever happened to the sweet science of "coffin corner" kicks? I don't see enough games to know if I've just been living under a rock in a cave, but can somebody call David Lee and see if he's available? (if not for punting, then at least as a punter adviser! ;))