Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Just to prove a point

I fully expect this forum to soon lose its civility. However, we will not allow it to become personal.
    It doesn't have to. There will be diagreements sure, but as long as an account at this board is treated like a priveledge, not a right, we will be fine. That means not letting people like the OldFans or BurghSouths of the world be members and casting out troublemakers quickly back to YBR hell.

This board is like a fraternity and the people who were invited here were considered the cream of the YBR crop. Everyone would do well to remember that. We use the neighborhood bar analogy a lot and it is a good fit. When I post I pretend like I'm talking to the person on the stool next to me. One of the undoings of YBR was people saying stuff they never would to a person in a face to face interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabruise
    consistency requires either smack or no smack. There can not be levels of "friend smack" or "good natured smack". This is a public forum and everyone who will read your smack won't know that it understood by the receiver. It then can and does elicit a harsh response from someone who does not understand and the free for all begins.
    I agree. It happened all the time.

T was right. We actually did talk smack with each other and many who would hit each other hard would ultimately be very good friends and allies. However, there was something different about the Boller debate. It is a mystery to me but the Boller debates created such bad blood unseen outside the designated smack forum.
    Keep in mind that those threads were often unmoderated. The QB is an integral part of the team, and both sides felt the other was being disloyal by either 1) refusing to support him, or 2) supporting him despite subpar performance.

A little consistency might have alleviated that whole situation before it got so out of hand that the mods gave up on it.

i fully expect this forum to soon lose its civility. However, we will not allow it to become personal.
    We'll see.
    Last edited by RavenMad2099; 08-18-2006 at 11:56 AM.
    THE 2nd WAVE LOYAL™
    © 2007 DRayRaven Enterprises™. All rights reserved, patent pending.
    The contents of this post may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the express written consent
    of DRayRaven, ProFootball 24x7, the Baltimore Ravens, the National Football League, or related entities.

Sorry, but it is the nature of message boards to evolve in both positive and negative directions. There is no avoiding it. I think t hat fact that smoe of you are on your 4th, 5th, and 6th Ravens board is all the evidence one needs.

Me? I am just here for the free Punch and Pie :179422:

Maybe it's time the forum members started keeping the forum civil
    That's what we've been begging for.

What I meant was that people have a tendancy to speak more harshly when its anonymous. We don't live in a particularly civil society anyway. I expect some posters to respond with "That was the most idiotic idea I've ever read"... That's uncivil. However, we will not accept "You have got to be the dumbest jackass that has ever posted" That's personal.

I expect some posters to respond with "That was the most idiotic idea I've ever read"...
    And I expect that some of us will take the person to the woodshed and remind him that this is not how we will act on this message board.

I left YBR totally. I logged off and I will never log back on there again so long as this forum exists. So, with all due respect to you and the other mods and the Admin, I think I speak for at least some of us that say we'll be DAMNED if we let this forum start rolling down that hill.

But we are asking for help. There has to be a standard for which users can join. If you see Old19fan here, given his history I think it's totally fair to whack him immediately and not even give him the chance to ruin this message board. Same for some of the other knuckleheads that we know are part of the problem at YBR. That's just IMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG
    And I expect that some of us will take the person to the woodshed and remind him that this is not how we will act on this message board.

I left YBR totally. I logged off and I will never log back on there again so long as this forum exists. So, with all due respect to you and the other mods and the Admin, I think I speak for at least some of us that say we'll be DAMNED if we let this forum start rolling down that hill.

But we are asking for help. There has to be a standard for which users can join. If you see Old19fan here, given his history I think it's totally fair to whack him immediately and not even give him the chance to ruin this message board. Same for some of the other knuckleheads that we know are part of the problem at YBR. That's just IMO of course.
    I was pretty much saying the same thing in a thread that BurghSouth started (and was subsequently whacked). I hope he was immediately banned and who ever invited him at the very least lost invitation priviledges. We can police ourselves by keeping our posts civil, but certain posters and especially posters with KNOWN agendas need to be dealt with at a moderator level. Dealt with quickly and firmly. As I said a couple of posts up, this board is a priviledge and not a right. If people are aware that disagreement is fine but being uncivil will get you cast out of our little Eden than they will learn to be civil.

Blog Entries

Maybe it's time the forum members started keeping the forum civil
    Ther is a triangular icon up near the post count in each message posted. Click it and it sends shock waves through the moderating team immediately and we can address the problem.

This should be common knowledge to all posters.

Try it.

Cool Re: Just to prove a point

Keep in mind that those threads were often unmoderated. The QB is an integral part of the team, and both sides felt the other was being disloyal by either 1) refusing to support him, or 2) supporting him despite subpar performance.

A little consistency in the moderating might have alleviated that whole situation before it got so out of hand that the mods gave up on it
    A QB controversy and a losing season will catapult a home town fan base into a tissy. That's why I feel consistency in moderating still won't alleviate the situation. People on both sides of the QB debate are passionate but there are some who can't stand that some people like to discuss the QB.

A forum dedicated to the QB is a step in the right direction but it appears that the Moderators here are the same ones from insider, so do they ignore this as they've done in the past and let it be a free for all? I enjoy talking about the QB but whats to stop this from being a smack forum too? I've always tried to be civil and I will try to continue to do the same in both places. When a forum or thread is left unmoderated justice is left in the hands of the participants of the thread, hopefully we can have some lively debates here with out undercutting one another.

Anyway IMO the only thing that will alleviate this mess is consistent play from our QBs

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

This forum has some excellent tools that will allow us and even the users like yourself to watch the posters who get into personal attacks. The reputation feature as well as the ignore and report features will help.

The reputation feature has some things about it that will prevent abuse or popularity to be more important than good takes. And no, it won't be public what those things are. LOL.

I enjoy talking about the QB but whats to stop this from being a smack forum too?
    That is going to be up to us. There is no reason to talk about the QB situation in such a way that illicit's the kind of downhill turn that struck YBR. You can talk for example about Boller without attacking other posters with a difference of opinion. You can have a debate that doesn't include childish remarks and things like that.

It's about forging the attitude of the forum at it's most basic level, ours.

There are people over there that still just can't be civil. Don't believe me? Keep reading the Boller is looking sick thread. You can almost anticipate the conversation. It's not a conversation we have to have here.

They can't rid of that...that's T's favorite emoticon!!!
    THE 2nd WAVE LOYAL™
    © 2007 DRayRaven Enterprises™. All rights reserved, patent pending.
    The contents of this post may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the express written consent
    of DRayRaven, ProFootball 24x7, the Baltimore Ravens, the National Football League, or related entities.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Like someone said on YBR a few times.Post a reply like you are talking to someone face to face.Not hiding behind a keyboard.

Here in the UK,all football fans are a family we respect each other for our common love for the great game.Upon being involved in a few smack forums
    I was corrupted giving AFCN fans abuse.

But to see Raven fan,going at Raven fan on YBR.Really made me feel sad and bewildered.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.