Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Just to prove a point

You can actually have multiple threads in here :)

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Re: Just to prove a point

Eeeeek.One's opening a Pandora's box.Multiple discussions about the QB position.I think that's what got YBR forum in trouble.;)
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Greg said something about how he can merge threads. Sounds like a good idea for the mods to do if multiple threads show up.

BTW, last week's Ravens/Giants game is on right now on NFL Network.:)
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

The QB debate hasn't really started up again because everyone's walking on eggshells.

IMO, some people misunderstood the whole thing and took it way too seriously.
    For me, it was just a lot of fun. I'd roll through and bash Boller, make a few sarcastic remarks about the opinions of Stinger (or some other Hugger), Stinger would bash me back, and neither one of us took it all that seriously. As far as I'm concerned, those threads were Rants. Everyone who participated took a side, talked some smack, and threw a rew stats around...but those of us who knew what was going on and understood it walked away with no hard feelings.

I know that many hold a different view of the "Boller Wars."
    Nevertheless, that was the where I was coming from, at least.

Maybe this subforum will get a little more lively after Boller falls over backwards a few times tonight.
    It will take time for people to get comfortable on the new board, that's all.
    Last edited by RavenMad2099; 08-17-2006 at 05:57 PM.
    THE 2nd WAVE LOYAL™
    © 2007 DRayRaven Enterprises™. All rights reserved, patent pending.
    The contents of this post may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the express written consent
    of DRayRaven, ProFootball 24x7, the Baltimore Ravens, the National Football League, or related entities.

Everyone who participated took a side, talked some smack, and threw a rew stats around...but those of us who knew what was going on and understood it walked away with no hard feelings.
    That's pretty much the way I took it. The problem, which RM can attest to, is that other people took it WAY farther than that at times. And if you look, they still are over there. Over here it's not about being on eggshells. It's that the people who so far have come over can actually have this conversation without it turning into an old19fan rant.

But you have to admit you were stalking me just a little. :p

What do you expect, Stinger?
    After you posted your pictures the first time, I couldn't help myself. LOL
    THE 2nd WAVE LOYAL™
    The contents of this post may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the express written consent
    of DRayRaven, ProFootball 24x7, the Baltimore Ravens, the National Football League, or related entities.

That's why some of us came here and left YBR in the dust T. I can't imagine Oldfan wants to come here and make this the 4th forum he's gotten banned from.

Anyway, it's all about the Ravens. And I'm glad 24x7 did this.

The old board was not "undone" by the QB threads. It simply grew as time went on, attracting more and more members. As will happen with any growing community, the number of bad apples also started to increase. Rule enforcement, which had been lax to start with, became harder and harder to attain. YBR became a free-for-all...so much so that the occasional crackdown came across as authoritarianism, not responsibility.

For rules to work, they have to be consistently applied. It can't be personal, and it can't be sporadic...and one (or both) of those adjectives could be used often for YBR.

I'm not trying to lecture anyone. I'm not trying to bash, either. In the normal course of events, I would have kept remarks and opinions like this private...but if this new board is going to work as we all want it to, we have to understand previous mistakes to avoid repeating them. If you didn't like the QB threads, that's fine...but at least recognize they were only a symptom of the disease, not the cause.

I'm sure YBR was easier to control when it was small. That follows reason, doesn't it? This new place will be OK for awhile, too...until it really grows, and that's when the challenge begins.
    THE 2nd WAVE LOYAL™

Yeah...what RavenMad2099 said: consistency!

I agree about consistency. But consistency requires either smack or no smack. There can not be levels of "friend smack" or "good natured smack". This is a public forum and everyone who will read your smack won't know that it understood by the receiver. It then can and does elicit a harsh response from someone who does not understand and the free for all begins.

T was right. We actually did talk smack with each other and many who would hit each other hard would ultimately be very good friends and allies. However, there was something different about the Boller debate. It is a mystery to me but the Boller debates created such bad blood unseen outside the designated smack forum.

i fully expect this forum to soon lose its civility. However, we will not allow it to become personal.

I fully expect this forum to soon lose its civility. However, we will not allow it to become personal.
    It doesn't have to. There will be diagreements sure, but as long as an account at this board is treated like a priveledge, not a right, we will be fine. That means not letting people like the OldFans or BurghSouths of the world be members and casting out troublemakers quickly back to YBR hell.

This board is like a fraternity and the people who were invited here were considered the cream of the YBR crop. Everyone would do well to remember that. We use the neighborhood bar analogy a lot and it is a good fit. When I post I pretend like I'm talking to the person on the stool next to me. One of the undoings of YBR was people saying stuff they never would to a person in a face to face interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabruise
    consistency requires either smack or no smack. There can not be levels of "friend smack" or "good natured smack". This is a public forum and everyone who will read your smack won't know that it understood by the receiver. It then can and does elicit a harsh response from someone who does not understand and the free for all begins.
    I agree. It happened all the time.

T was right. We actually did talk smack with each other and many who would hit each other hard would ultimately be very good friends and allies. However, there was something different about the Boller debate. It is a mystery to me but the Boller debates created such bad blood unseen outside the designated smack forum.
    Keep in mind that those threads were often unmoderated. The QB is an integral part of the team, and both sides felt the other was being disloyal by either 1) refusing to support him, or 2) supporting him despite subpar performance.

A little consistency might have alleviated that whole situation before it got so out of hand that the mods gave up on it.

i fully expect this forum to soon lose its civility. However, we will not allow it to become personal.
    We'll see.
    Last edited by RavenMad2099; 08-18-2006 at 11:56 AM.
    THE 2nd WAVE LOYAL™