Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Just to prove a point

I love the now 'driping with sarcasm' icon. Now hopefully people will know when you are kidding or being sarcastic in a dry way.

A Mr T favorite?

for good measure:

Finally its good to see everyone playing nicely over here. I gave up posting alot on the other board due to the hostility. With the popularity of the boar I noticed a clear dumbing down over there.

I definitely agree that part of the problem at YBR was the fact that many of you people know each other personally, have partied together, drank together and Lord only knows what else together ;) and so you felt comfortable engaging in exchanges that people unfamiliar with your relationships didn't understand and took offense at. However, instead of staying the hell out of the argument they plunged in head first and made things worse. I always tried, not always successfully, to avoid the topics that tended to become "personal". The other issue for me was the people like OldMan, who frankly annoyed the hell out of me every place I encountered him, who only had one topic of discussion, one point of view, and kept repeating the same arguments ad nauseum. We are not stupid people for the most part, state your position once or twice and then move on to something else [B]we will figure out your position[B] we still may not agree but quit beating us over the head with the same points it's like the old saw about teaching a pig to dance ~ it frustrates you and annoys the pig. Personally, I really like a lot of the features that have been incorporated in this site, they will help keep things civil and if troublemakers are dealt with quickly it will serve as a reminder to all of us that just because we are here doesn't mean we can stay if we become problem children. I hope to be welcome to stay and want to stay here for a long time but we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG
    And I expect that some of us will take the person to the woodshed and remind him that this is not how we will act on this message board.

I left YBR totally. I logged off and I will never log back on there again so long as this forum exists. So, with all due respect to you and the other mods and the Admin, I think I speak for at least some of us that say we'll be DAMNED if we let this forum start rolling down that hill.

But we are asking for help. There has to be a standard for which users can join. If you see Old19fan here, given his history I think it's totally fair to whack him immediately and not even give him the chance to ruin this message board. Same for some of the other knuckleheads that we know are part of the problem at YBR. That's just IMO of course.
    I agree 100%. I have already spotted a couple of questionable names here. My advice: Totally avoid the use of the second person singular.

If you don't know what means, you're on shaky ground already. Go look it up.

Wink Re: Just to prove a point

many of you people know each other personally, have partied together, drank together and Lord only knows what else together
    I don't know "what else together" either, but I'm afraid that if it is too interesting, my wife will find out and I will be banned from these boards forever by a higher power than these other mods!

Blog Entries

I'm going to bore you all to death with his, and will insert it into many threads as we roll along: Don't forget your 'Report' and 'Ignore' features.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

The report and reputation systems are great letting the community help moderators. Another good feature from other boards are warnings. Letting people know what they can do and can't three or four strikes means ban.

The ignore function is not optimal, since it only blacks out the posts of poster you want to ignore, but if thread is more or less hijacked, it will be littered with quotes and respoenses to the ignored poster, making it hard to find the posts your looking for. It only works if most of the board agrees what posters to ignore, and banning is better for those cases imho.

Blog Entries

The warning feature is in ver. 3.6 which we are loading up in the next couple of weeks. I don't think we need it right now.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

And we also have the ability to ignore a poster system wide, so that no regular users see their stuff. As long as the moderators can control themselves from responding the poster will get no responses but can post away!

The warning feature is in ver. 3.6 which we are loading up in the next couple of weeks. I don't think we need it right now.
    No need for it now, I fully agree. But good to hear it is on the way since I think it is a very good feature.

And we also have the ability to ignore a poster system wide, so that no regular users see their stuff. As long as the moderators can control themselves from responding the poster will get no responses but can post away!
    I fantastic feature, much better than a ban, since banned posters have a way of showing up moments later with a new handle.

Maybe this subforum will get a little more lively after Boller falls over backwards a few times tonight.
    Actually, it got a little more lively after McNair did!

But as you can tell, lively didn't mean erupting into a smackfest. I'm telling you, we can debate this stuff like adults. If you look over at YBR today it's still getting worse. Our McNair tripping thread is merely a few of us talking about it and *gasp* respecting each other.

And it looks like one issue has already been dealt with, and my hats off to the mods for it.

This is why I'm here, and not at YBR.

I agree completely, I was just taking a shot at DRay for fun.