Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Congratulations and Props

Quote Originally Posted by cessnapilot513 View Post
    I appreciate the warm welcomes. On occasion it's good to get away from "my" forums...there's too much "dumb yinzer" talk sometimes. I just have two questions for you....1) Did Ray Lewis seem a bit slow, and not quite himself during the superbowl? and 2) Does Flacco get a new deal this year, or does he get a franchise tag?

One more question - Who's your most respected Steelers player? I give mad respect to Ed Reed. That guy is amazing. There are 31 other teams who would kill to have #20 on their defense.
    Roethlisberger. That bastard just gets out of sacks and kills you.

I don't know if Ray was slower or that was the plan on handling the 49ers. It was his least impact in the post-season as far as stats but it might have been the scheme. They had Suggs on Kaepernick the whole game, Ellerbe crashing the line and Ray was perhaps was assigned covering the middle on passes (and was just too slow for the speed of Davis) and othewise cleaning up on running plays downfield. The defense was attacking in some ways, like with Ellerbe crashing the line but some of it was dedicated to contain and I think that was Ray's assignment. Ed Reed didn't have a huge impact for much of the playoffs, like in Denver, but Manning never tried a deep pass because Reed did his job and took that away. I think it is a testament to both of them they did their assignments instead of going for stats (which Ed has had issues with in the past - gambled a lot and won a lot of them but when he lost it was always a big play).

I just have two questions for you....1) Did Ray Lewis seem a bit slow, and not quite himself during the superbowl?
    Yes...Ray's been slowing down a lot the last couple of years. He's been able to cover up some of it through experience. But he's definitely on his last legs. He's going out on top at the perfectly right time.

2) Does Flacco get a new deal this year, or does he get a franchise tag?
    To have a chance at repeating, the Ravens need to sign Flacco to a long-term deal. The alternative is to shred their current roster trying to fit a $20M exclusive rights tag under the cap. I think/hope that Flacco and his agent will be able to find middle ground with the Ravens. But at the end of the day, he's going nowhere. Some may not think he's "elite", but he's young, has proven he can win a Super Bowl, and solidifies the most important position on the field for the next decade. You sign him at all costs...

One more question - Who's your most respected Steelers player? I give mad respect to Ed Reed. That guy is amazing. There are 31 other teams who would kill to have #20 on their defense.
    Tough question. Before he retired, I would have side Hines Ward. Now? Probably Roethlisberger....as someone stated earlier, he just has an uncanny ability to make plays out of nothing and rip your heart out. In general though, I just have incredible respect for the Steelers' organization. They are never down for long and always field a tough, competitive team. It is a shame that the Ravens and them are in the same division, because I think they are easily both in the top-5 of organizations and often cancel each other out in terms of winning championships.

I appreciate the warm welcomes. On occasion it's good to get away from "my" forums...there's too much "dumb yinzer" talk sometimes. I just have two questions for you....1) Did Ray Lewis seem a bit slow, and not quite himself during the superbowl? and 2) Does Flacco get a new deal this year, or does he get a franchise tag?

1) Ray Lewis has lost a step, or two, no doubt - but the guy still brings it, as only Ray can; 2) imho, Joe gets extended - does not make sense to franchise him, given the ramifications on signing other key players; 3 ) Big Ben is the Steeler I respect the most.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

One more question - Who's your most respected Steelers player?
    Charlie Batch ;)

I've alway been a fan of Brent Keisel. He's a classic AFC north player who would have had a great career here. Solid locker room guy, great interview. If we could've had him and Ngata on the same line last year I think we finish with the number one D instead of you guys.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

I respect Furby (Troy Polamalu) and Big Ben. Both guys are playmakers and just an absolute PIA for the Ravens. Seeing the beating he has taken over the past few years just convinces me more than ever the Ravens first priority outside of a longterm deal for Flacco is LT. Easier said then done though.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Welcome, cessna.

For me, much like JBK said above, my respect is for the Pittsburgh organization as a whole. I don't have a "favorite" player, but rather I admit to grudging respect for the way the Steelers are run, the way they are coached, and the way they (most of them) play the game. Hard nosed, blue collar, resilient....much like the city itself.....Hey, sounds like another team we follow around here.
    (But for the love of God, LOSE THE 3 STOOGES BUMBLEBEE JERSEYS.)
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

I'd have to say either Heath Miller or Troy Palamalu. Both are great when healthy and never let up.

Blog Entries

The Rooney's, especially Art (may he rest in peace). How can you not love a cigar-smoking owner who won the money he used to buy his team at the track. Classy owners, great organization, love their city.

Pittsburgh is lucky to have them, just like we are lucky to have Steve B.

1) I would say Ray was EXACTLY himself as he has been the past couple years. A bit slow. Diagnosing well, making his share of tackles (but most of them 5-7 yards downfield) and being torched by any receiver he's asked to cover. For my money, I'm very glad he decided to play this year, and just as glad he decided not to play next year.
    2) Maybe I have too much faith in our front office and in Joe Flacco to not be a complete prima donna in these negotiations, but I think they will work it out by the start of free agency. I don't think there is more than a 10% chance of him playing under the tag next year.
    3) You said 'player', but I want to throw in that I respect your coach. I generally really like the way he handles his team, and doesn't make excuses in his post game comments. I hear he's gotten a lot of heat from the local folks though. (True?) My gut is that the Steelers have hard times ahead. Maybe slightly hard (a couple more years like this one -- the result of hanging on to some veterans for too long) or REALLY hard (depending on how quickly Ben's body completely breaks down, and who the next man up is.) Tomlin could end up paying the price for that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I respect Troy Polamalu. Great player, especially when healthy, but what I really respect is the way he conducts himself off the field. I also thought it was classy of Maurkice Pouncey to go against the grain and say he was cheering for the Ravens to win the Super Bowl.
    Brett Keisel said he thought the Ravens were gonna win.

Blog Entries

Geezypeezy, all the friendly feeling here...do I hafta remind yinz why the toothbrush could only have been invented in Pittsburgh? (Actually in its upscale SW suburb, but who's counting?) ;)

JK. On to the Flugzeugfuehrer's questions:

1. IIRC Ray did a lot of work last offseason (biking & running, losing some weight) trying to squeeze a little more speed out of that body to deal with the changing demands on an ILB. I conjecture that by the time he was injured he knew it hadn't helped (or helped enough) & was preparing himself for this last ride. The intangibles couldn't quite compensate (& by intangibles I mean not just field generalship, but the fact that he made everyone better because no one wanted to be the guy who let #52 down) but in the end they were enough--barely.

2. Flacco will get his deal. Joe is levelheaded enough to realize that (1) after the first $100M or so the marginal utility goes way down, & (2) if he's going to make a name for himself as the best in the business (which is what he really wants so long as he gets compensated well enough) he needs to keep going to the playoffs on a regular basis. He also knows that Oz & Co. are about as good as it gets at managing the roster to keep a team in the conversation year after year. He's not going to insist on a deal that hamstrings them. Unless he thinks he can put a mediocre team on his back & win multiple Lombardis. I noted some distressing signs earlier, but upon further review I think Joe's supreme confidence in his own abilities stops short of that level of arrogance.

3. "Most respected" Steeler? I respect Ben & Troy for what they can do on the field, but for my money Rottenburger is waaaay too much the drama queen, whereas Polymullet pegs the meter in the other direction--he has a bad tendency to come back too soon from injury & cost the team in the process. I have a lot of respect for Omar as a HC, but please--the next time he thinks of trotting out a quote from Gladiator yinz oughta pitch in buy him a dog, name it Hell, & point him toward the nearest pets-run-free park...

Basically I have a lot of respect for the organization as a whole, from the Rooneys on down. It's no accident that to the rest of the football world the Ravens & Steelers look like brothers (& fight like them) or that Oz's first task as GM was to put together a team that could beat yinz.