Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Re: Sorry to do this guys, but a Depressing Picture

I can NOT imagine #52 being worn here by anyone else anymore. Even if it's "unofficial" it'll surely in essence be retired. Unless there's someone I'm forgetting #75 hasn't been reissued yet so there's some precedent here. And as said upthread numbers are still often officially retired. I believe the only team that doesn't do that is the Raiders.

I would be absolutely shocked if they did not retire it.

It would also not suprise me if it was relatively quick compared to other teams that have done so. Although, if the Colts have retired 18 already, it seems to be pretty fast.

they glassed off dan marinos locker in miami. they actually retired his locker.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Who's gonna be the Michael Phelps ( I mean cocky douchebag) that puts on 52 if the team doesn't retire it?
    This is funny because it's true.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    It will be a weird moment on 9/5 when the Ravens walk out of the tunnel without Lewis and likely without Reed. This organization is in great hands with Harbaugh, Haloti, Ngata, Webb, Pollard, Flacco, Rice, Torrey, Pitta, Yanda, and (hopefully) Boldin.

Lewis will be the gold standard of team leadership for as long as the NFL has games. Let's not forget that as a player though, he was losing it rapidly. He was probably our worst starter on the field for us on Sunday. Not trying to kill the moment by saying it, but he was a liability for sure. I think when we see our next Lewis (hopefully Teo or Minter) lining up in Ray's old spot (hopefully next to Ellerbe) in 7 months, we will find a new source of energy for our Ravens. The first time we see Ray's replacement run sideline-to-sideline to make a tackle, reminiscent of the player Ray was years ago, we can finally feel better about not having him here anymore.

That's the beauty of our franchise. The peaks are high and the valleys rarely low. I'll have tears in my eyes when someone other than Ray runs out of the tunnel on Sundays, but whoever that is will give us new great memories.
    Please not Teo. He would not fit in.

Do the Ravens have any retired numbers already?even unofficial? For exemple, is #19 retired?

I have to believe that they will retire #52
    His locker may be empty but you can bet that Ray will be around
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Enough. Enough of this. Seriously he's gotten tons of attention and respect this just needs to end. He's not a saint he didn't save the world. It's almost getting creepy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corvo View Post
    Do the Ravens have any retired numbers already?even unofficial? For exemple, is #19 retired?
    Technically yes, though Scott Mitchell did use it (with Unitas' permission). Since Mitchell, no one else has had that number.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenNation620 View Post
    Enough. Enough of this. Seriously he's gotten tons of attention and respect this just needs to end. He's not a saint he didn't save the world. It's almost getting creepy.
    You can like or dislike him, but he's obviously the face of the franchise right now. This is like Cal Ripken leaving the Orioles, or John Elway retiring from the Broncos.

If you needed more proof, look at his teammates. They CONSTANTLY spoke about a desire to get Ray back to the Super Bowl, and do things for Ray. He is a major influence on ALL of them.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

No one will ever wear 52 in Baltimore again. Linebackers all over the league wear 52 to pay homage to him much like corners covet 21 because of Dieon Sanders.

I think they should retire the locker, make it a display for the other players who follow. The Texas Rangers retired the locker Cal Ripken used at their stadium out of respect.

John Harbaugh has said that no one was allowed to wear #57 for OJ its unofficially retired by him, So i can see John Harbaugh not letting anyone wear #52.