Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Re: What should Flacco's target for "elitism" be?

rla-
    I think ol' Skipper would need prior approval of his network!

BTW, how's Ron? Do you see him much lately? I haven't seen him posting here, but please give him my "Hey's!"

Blog Entries

The way I evaluate a QB is to assume they all played for the same team.

Simulate the QB on a team with no pass protection. Simulate that same QB with perfect protection. And what you'll find is that some of the QBs who rank highest under one scenario are actually worse in a different scenario.

For example, would you rather have prime Joe Montana or prime Michael Vick if you had no blocking? Probably Vick. But with perfect or even adequate blocking, Montana wins handily.

Then you look at regular season vs. post-season. One season is longer, gives you a bigger sample size and is the more popular metric for stats. The other is where only the best teams pariticipate, and for the largest stakes, which is lose and you're out.

You begin to fuse these different elements of the quarterback position together into one single unit, which you use to determine "elite."

By these metrics, Flacco is elite, but perhaps not 'the most elite.' He's decent during the regular season (but very volatile!), contrast that with an immaculate record of performance in the postseason, he's not the most mobile QB, but by contrast he chucks the deep ball with the best of 'em. He is VERY composed, which I have to believe is a calming force over his teammates in moments of duress.

I think had he not put on this incredible playoff run of 11 TDs/0 INTs, there's no way I'd pegged him elite. But he did. And he is.

For me, I just go by feeling.

Sting said, " It's 1:30 to go on the opponents 20, 2 time outs, down by 4. Do you put the ball in Joe's hands with the confidence he will score the game winning touchdown?"

At the start of that goal-line stand to win the Superbowl, I knew the game was ours because Joe would be getting the ball back with time on the clock. That's the kind of QB he is. Dilfer also won a Superbowl with the Ravens, but I had no faith in him when he dropped back to pass. On third-and-whatever, I now assume we'll be picking it up because Joe will make the correct read and a good throw.

I don't care to much about his stats. He probably won't be a first round pick in fantasy football because of the type of team we are. Rice and Pierce are going to run the heck out of the ball, and Joe'll make a few great throws down field. He doesn't have to put up 35 points a game because most teams aren't going to put up 30 on us.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I just want long term consistency.
    This. With the modifier of, "...at a superior level."

Joe's playoff stats speak for themselves, and maybe this is the beginning of the run of games/seasons that will FIRMLY establish Flacco in that "top tier" category. For me, there is a significant difference between "elite" and "best right now". The sample size is critical in making the determination.
    Is it the body of work for a career? For a two season stretch? For a six game run?
    QB's get hot at times, and even the pedestrian, (see Fitzpatrick, R. or Brunell, M.), can look like world beaters for a time. Do it over an extended period consistently, then talk "elite". (Man, I hate that word)
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    rla-
    I think ol' Skipper would need prior approval of his network!

BTW, how's Ron? Do you see him much lately? I haven't seen him posting here, but please give him my "Hey's!"

We moved to FL in June 2012 so I haven't seen Ron since the 2011 season. He still posts over on Sunspot

P.S. My current neighbor is a Steeler fan vacationing here for 3 months. This is what he sees when he wonders out on his balcony. Maybe this shortens his stay.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    It's 1:30 to go on the opponents 20, 2 time outs, down by 4. Do you put the ball in Joe's hands with the confidence he will score the game winning touchdown?
    It was 31-27 before the safety. A touchdown and extra point by the 49ers at that point would have made it 34-31, that's a 3 point deficit. I was thinking about that before we got the stop in the end zone. I think Joe gets us a chance at a field goal and overtime, a touchdown is possible.

In the 5 years Joe has been in the playoffs he's improved with this year being the best. It's not hard to see there's more upside to Joe. Playoff success is the cornerstone of Joe's accomplishments and the criteria to judging his eliteness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    In the 5 years Joe has been in the playoffs he's improved with this year being the best. It's not hard to see there's more upside to Joe. Playoff success is the cornerstone of Joe's accomplishments and the criteria to judging his eliteness.
    I agree. Elway's stats weren't eye-popping. Anyone who watched him play, OTOH, knew he was one of the best QB's in an era when there were several great ones. Montana and Marino were better QB's overall, imo, but I don't think either one could have led The Drive or The Drive II. I don't think either one could have come from 13 points down in Kansas City with barely two minutes on the clock as I saw him do in '92. Elway was elite, and in some aspects he was the best of his time. But just looking at the numbers doesn't tell you that.

Big fish, it was a hypothetical, not the situation in the Superbowl.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2