Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: Apparently shocking incident in the sections near Gate A

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I didn't have any issues either...but you have seen the insanity that went on, right? If there were a couple bad sections, that is STILL a problem. If it'd happened in your section, you'd be pissed, right?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4950978745814

Watching that video, and seeing that once a couple made it up the fence, a THRONG joined them...And you hear people screaming "OPEN THE GATES!!!!!". It didn't turn into a mob scene, but it could've very quickly....
    Yup. Pretty crazy. But it doesn't ruin the whole day, doesn't make Baltimore look bad, and it's not the end of the world lol.

-10,000 people scared the shit out of the Baltimore Colts team in 1958 when they surrounded and rocked their bus on the tarmac at Friendship (now BWI) airport.
    http://baberuthbirthplacefdn.blogspo...off-games.html

- Hundreds of Baltimore Fans stormed the field and ripped down the goal posts on a couple of occassions.

- A drunk dude ran out on the field nd was hit so hard by LB Mike Curtis he had to go to the hospital.

These scenes are no different then the youths climbing the fence.

Now the jerks trampling the people in 119 should have been brought up on charges, but worse fights happen at every FB game. It's a bad thing, but it doesn't ruin a terrific day, or condemn a City.
    Last edited by Real Fan Dan; 02-07-2013 at 12:19 AM.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Also a young man and his mom were trampled outside. Kid was unconscious and taken to hospital, mom is doing better. Young dude was in neck brace in hospital. I hope is doing ok.go to wmar on fb...recent posts by others.its from Shay Jackson...i dont know how to post it to here.very sad

Link to the story about the kid being trampled ....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...,5257430.story

The team will not hold free events anymore unless free tickets are handed out ahead if time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Link to the story about the kid being trampled ....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...,5257430.story

The team will not hold free events anymore unless free tickets are handed out ahead if time.
    Yup, that's what Cass said yesterday.

Makes sense now, just glad I got to experience it once (If it's a lottery, I'll never win it. I suck at winning things). My hope there is that for people who congregate outside the stadium or at City Hall, they put up video screens or something like it so fans can watch the ceremony without having to run back and find a TV.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Yup, that's what Cass said yesterday.

Makes sense now, just glad I got to experience it once (If it's a lottery, I'll never win it. I suck at winning things). My hope there is that for people who congregate outside the stadium or at City Hall, they put up video screens or something like it so fans can watch the ceremony without having to run back and find a TV.
    You will still be able to go but not for free.
    Now those with free tickets are gonna sell the tickets on Craigslist for a fee...
    its unfortunate-
    Hopefully they will keep the Ravens practice open without the ticketing.

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    You will still be able to go but not for free.
    Now those with free tickets are gonna sell the tickets on Craigslist for a fee...
    its unfortunate-
    Hopefully they will keep the Ravens practice open without the ticketing.
    I hear ya...but I don't know...it is sad the few incidents that did occur...but I think they are very, very lucky it was not much worse.

Ticketing the events is one way to control the crowd...more police/security (as if it was a regular game) would be another.

I would be shocked if the Ravens and/or the Maryland Stadium Authority don't get sued by the mother with the boy that got trampled...since they advertised the event and invited fans to come down to the stadium....and since they didn't offer the tickets, there was none of the standard "holder assumes all risk" clauses on the back of them.

This story bears watching, I think....
    Last edited by JohnBKistler; 02-08-2013 at 12:04 PM.

All in all, this parade was a glorious day for Baltimore. I doubt this city has ever seen an outpouring of love and affection like that. For all but a few, the vibe of whole scene was so positive and happy. 99% of the people left the event with memories to last a lifetime.

All that being said, the city, police, and stadium crew drastically underestimated the number of people who would show up. They were expecting a large event crowd, they got the largest amount of people ever in downtown Baltimore. (I know the estimates say 200K and other events were supposedly larger. Let not quibble over details)

It was extremely evident in the hour or so before the parade began that planners had drastically undersized their forces. There is not a doubt in my mind that the planners intended to let people watch the parade go by, then make their way down to the stadium ceremony. That was exactly what I, and everyone else there intended to do. Seeing facebook pics of the stadium filling hours before the parade let me know it was an impossiblilty.

We are very lucky that things worked out, for the most part. This was a situation that had all warning signs and potential to be a full scale riot. If it was later in the day (after people had been drinking), I think it may have been.

Comparatively, the incidents that did occur were few. They are extremely sad situations, but there was no way for the event to go totally unblemished. I'll remember the day as much for the great vibe, which was the sole reason the volatile situation never completely boiled over.