Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Apparently shocking incident in the sections near Gate A

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Small correction, only one person died.
    I'm going off of a friend's word, but I was told that the other has since died.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Um, looting?!?!? Nothing on the Sun site about any looting. Link?

FTR the violence appears to have had nothing to do with the parade--personal dispute a few blocks away from the parade route.
    A 7/11 in Fells Point was looted Sunday Night. It was overly enthusiastic fans. It was thugs taking advantage of cops with their hands full. That 7/11 sits next to a XXX theater. It is not in the bar and tourist part of Fells.

I grew up not far from the Vault in a rough and poor neighborhood (aka the Hood), and I had a maternal grandmother living in the area. At risk of sounding insensitive, it is what it is. Frankly, it is expected. To be honest, it does not surprise me one bit especially when you have 200,000+ at the event today (according to the Sun). Baltimore is not a big city; obviously, it is a nightmare in a making. Although the logistics were faulty, I applauded the city for doing a fabulous job. It could have been worst. Shit, I am glad this is not Chicago or should I say Chiraq?

As one poster pointed out, this would have happened elsewhere. This is especially true when you have a popular sporting team in a city. With the gentrification going on, this might change in a few years to a generation away.

Here's the article ....

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/0...he-super-bowl/

I don't think it matters that it was in Upper Fells. It's still shameful.

And I'm not buying the police spin on this stabbing. This city has a long, sordid history of juking the stats. Look at the location of the stabbing. It's ON the route and right at the time of the parade.

The fact that it happened in Upper Fells just shows that it wasn't revelers leaving the bars. It was thugs taking advantage of the police having their hands full down there. I agree that the stabbing wouldn't have taken place if it wasn't for the parade. When you looked at the chopper shots of the parade it looked like the trailer for "World War Z"

I don't buy the comparisons to Chicago. Yes, they have more murders, but they also have a lot more residents. Their rate is lower than ours. Also the downtown area of Chicago is immaculate, and relatively crime free. Baltimore needs to get a handle on the bad neighborhoods creeping closer to downtown.

Honestly I love the Ravens because they are my home town team. Doesn't mean I love the thugs, crackheads, and low lifes that are a big part of Bmore once you get a block or 2 away from the stadiums. No different than any other urban city. Moved out to the county years ago to get away from the filth.

I had a great time at the beginning of the parade with my nephew. We got to touch the trophy.
    I don't think that they should have had Ray in the last car. Had he been in the front and followed by others trucks they would have been able to control the jumpers who followed his tanker.
    I think when we have the parade next year, the barriers and police presence will be greater. In 2000 there were tons of police along the route.
    Ray turning from Pratt to Howard looked dangerous with all of those loose people running behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    The fact that it happened in Upper Fells just shows that it wasn't revelers leaving the bars. It was thugs taking advantage of the police having their hands full down there. I agree that the stabbing wouldn't have taken place if it wasn't for the parade. When you looked at the chopper shots of the parade it looked like the trailer for "World War Z"

I don't buy the comparisons to Chicago. Yes, they have more murders, but they also have a lot more residents. Their rate is lower than ours. Also the downtown area of Chicago is immaculate, and relatively crime free. Baltimore needs to get a handle on the bad neighborhoods creeping closer to downtown.
    Bad neighborhoods have always been there... Shit, there are blocks full of strip joints and sleazy bars not far from the Inner Harbor (I believe that that area is a part of downtown).

With the gentrification going on, Baltimore will definitely change. It is like DC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Look at the location of the stabbing. It's ON the route and right at the time of the parade.
    When was the last time you were in Baltimore, HR?

CBS Local gives the location of the stabbing as Howard & Fayette.

Bleacherreport gives the parade route as "City Hall, Commerce Street, Pratt Street, Howard Street, M&T Bank Stadium". IOW the parade route turned south onto Howard St. from Pratt St. Pratt is 3 long blocks south of Fayette.

Sorry, but 3 blocks away is not "on the route."

Especially in Baltimore where 3 blocks is the difference between Somalia and a tourist trap.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by mrfactoid View Post
    Honestly I love the Ravens because they are my home town team. Doesn't mean I love the thugs, crackheads, and low lifes that are a big part of Bmore once you get a block or 2 away from the stadiums. No different than any other urban city. Moved out to the county years ago to get away from the filth.
    There are bad places in the "County" as well... Howard, Harford, Anne Arundel, and Baltimore...

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Especially in Baltimore where 3 blocks is the difference between Somalia and a tourist trap.
    LMFAO
    LMFAO

hilarious, yet true....