Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 101112

Thread: Who to keep

Re: Who to keep

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Okay, 3 years/ $2.2 million. You get my point though. I don't think the Free Agent market for long snappers is much of anything. If Cox can get employment for 2013 at the league minimum, that's probably enough to entice him back.
    I get your point and fully agree. You don't spend more than a small fraction above the minimum (if at all) for your long snapper, imo, no matter how good he is.

I actually was somewhat surprised by the league minimum figure, when I checked. I haven't been keeping up with the slow upward adjustments over the years.

If they get Flacco done and say restructure or extend Boldin, Jones, Suggs and maybe Ngata then release Leach and Birk (if not retire) if I were the Ravens F.O my very next priority before I even consider bring back Ellerbe, Kruger, Williams or Reed is to address LT.

Bottom line is that if your investing 100 million in your franchise QB then you make damn sure he is protected and will have the time to be as effective as possible. That has to be priority number one. Whatever is left over you use to bring back who you can.It will be hard to move up high enough to get a guy like Fisher or Joeckel and I am not sure the Ravens trust McKinney to be effective over the course of a 16 game schedule and playoffs. His track record outside these playoffs has frankly kinda sucked. I have to believe they have seen enough of Oher to know he is not the answer there either. Way I see it you either have to be bold and make a big deal to move up and get one in the draft or sign one that you feel can hold it for a few years while you develop someone. The last thing you want is to have a revolving door of aging vets and project players protecting your franchise QB's blind side.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

I read Brendon Ayanbadejo is due $940,000. He is 36 and almost exclusively a special teamer.

Being so tight to the cap, I could see him being cut to save a few bucks.

Especially since he had that stupid Twitter outburst and his gay marriage stance. I don't care much for mixing football and politics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I read Brendon Ayanbadejo is due $940,000. He is 36 and almost exclusively a special teamer.

Being so tight to the cap, I could see him being cut to save a few bucks.

Especially since he had that stupid Twitter outburst and his gay marriage stance. I don't care much for mixing football and politics.
    Fortunately, all indications are that the Ravens make decisions based on a player's value on the field & in the locker room--not whether the organization (much less some of the fans) care for his freely-expressed personal political beliefs. Last fall BA said his piece supporting same-sex gay marriage, Birk published an op-ed in Minneapolis opposing it, & for all that it affected the team they might as well have been debating where to get the best steamed crabs in Bawlmer. (And "that stupid Twitter outburst" didn't seem to keep the team from handing the Pats their tukhises the following Sunday.)

IIRC the minimum NFL salary for 2013 is something like $715K. One might ask if at his age & with his skill set Dejo is worth the extra quarter-mil, but let's be realistic--letting him go wouldn't make much dent in the cap. Maybe not any, since a serviceable replacement might cost as much, or more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Fortunately, all indications are that the Ravens make decisions based on a player's value on the field & in the locker room--not whether the organization (much less some of the fans) care for his freely-expressed personal political beliefs. Last fall BA said his piece supporting same-sex gay marriage, Birk published an op-ed in Minneapolis opposing it, & for all that it affected the team they might as well have been debating where to get the best steamed crabs in Bawlmer. (And "that stupid Twitter outburst" didn't seem to keep the team from handing the Pats their tukhises the following Sunday.)

IIRC the minimum NFL salary for 2013 is something like $715K. One might ask if at his age & with his skill set Dejo is worth the extra quarter-mil, but let's be realistic--letting him go wouldn't make much dent in the cap. Maybe not any, since a serviceable replacement might cost as much, or more.
    Cutting BA would save roughly 400 k in total if you replace him with a rookie. Worth it? Probably not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Cutting BA would save roughly 400 k in total if you replace him with a rookie. Worth it? Probably not.
    $400k this year will matter much more than in year's past.

All of the talk about Ray Lewis' age...BA is right behind him. Dude is straight chiseled though.

I would hope the special team's unit wouldn't fall apart without him. He could easily return, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him released.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    Here's how I see the priorities:

1) Flacco (show him the money)
    2) Ellerbe (we lack depth at ILB - draft ILB in rounds 1 - 3)
    3) Boldin (I predict a contract extension)
    4) Reed (need that leadership in the defense now that Ray is gone - but needs to be a reasonable deal)
    5) Jacoby (Another contract extension)
    6) McKinnie (1 - 2 year deal - draft replacement LT)

Gone:

1) Kruger
    2) Cary Williams
    3) Bobby Williams (cut)
    4) Birk (retirement)
    5) Leach (really hate to see him go but too much money for a FB - hopefully, he takes a cut)
    That's really how I see it. I have a feeling Reed might just hang it up though. He says he wants to play now, but you never know with Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    Here's how I see the priorities:

1) Flacco (show him the money)
    2) Ellerbe (we lack depth at ILB - draft ILB in rounds 1 - 3)
    3) Boldin (I predict a contract extension)
    4) Reed (need that leadership in the defense now that Ray is gone - but needs to be a reasonable deal)
    5) Jacoby (Another contract extension)
    6) McKinnie (1 - 2 year deal - draft replacement LT)

Gone:

1) Kruger
    2) Cary Williams
    3) Bobby Williams (cut)
    4) Birk (retirement)
    5) Leach (really hate to see him go but too much money for a FB - hopefully, he takes a cut)
    Mannnn, I hope this is how things go... I have a hunch that either Jacoby or Boldin is gone though. I think the FO likes what they see in Doss and so do I.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game