Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who to keep

Re: Who to keep

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Ravens have little leverage with Q. Before the playoff run they could have extended him. Now he is probably not considered to be that over paid. He would probably take being cut versus an extension that reduces his pay this year.

I don't think this is correct at all. Boldin is due a $6 million salary this year. That's a lot of a money for a 33 year old WR. If the Ravens cut him, he isn't getting $6 million base salary anywhere else. He is likely going to get $9 million over 2 years with probably a $2 million signing bonus and a base salary of $3 million for year #1 of that contract.

There will be no Vincent Jackson like contract this upcoming year. Greg Jennings is 3 years younger than Boldin and he is projected to get about 4 years/$30 million in Free Agency this upcoming year, so to think Boldin would get the $6 million he's due in 2013 is a bit of a stretch.

Like I've been saying all along, offer Boldin an extension of $2.5 (probably $3.5 million due to his performance now) for 2014 with a $900k signing bonus. This would make his 2013 salary guaranteed. Then take $4.6 of his $6 million base salary for 2013 and convert it into a bonus. This would be a win/win for both teams.

The Ravens would be able to push $2.3 of Boldin's base salary for 2013 into 2014. His cap # now becomes $5.23 million instead of $7.53. His 2014 cap # would be around $5.8, which is high, but justifiable with the cap going up considerably.

For Boldin, it's a huge win. He gets $900k to pocket as part of his extension bonus and an additional $4.6 bonus as a reward for restructuring. That's $5.5 million he gets in his pocket before he even steps on a practice field for OTAs. When you reach age 33, your salary isn't nearly as important as the guaranteed money and bonus money that you can get up front, and Boldin would make out like a bandit here. There is no way he'd get a $5.5 bonus on the free agent market right now.

I'm probably a little bit off, but here is my best salary cap estimate as it stands right now.

Assuming we:

1) Cut Bobbie Williams
    2) Cut Birk or let him retire
    3) Re-sign Joe Flacco with a 2013 cap # around $9.5 (reasonable estimate)

That puts us at roughly $117.8 in terms of our cap #. When you factor in our rookie upgrades to the "Rule of 51", I think the best estimate is $118.5 to $119 million. The rookie salary upgrades should be minimal since we are drafting 32nd and 62nd. Barring any additional trading up for picks, only these two picks should be noticeable in altering our cap, and the impact should be minimal.

If we assume the Ravens cap will be around $122m, counting our carryover money from last year, that would leave us $3-3.5 million to spend on Free Agents. Obviously that's not much. However, it might be enough to cover the first year of a guy like Ellerbe.

Keep in mind that my projected $118.5-$119 assumes that every player currently under contract for 2013 except for Birk, B. Williams, and Lewis is back. This doesn't factor in any restructures or cuts to Leach, Jacoby, Boldin, or Jameel. Suggs and Koch are also good candidates for restructures. Oher might be a nice option for a re-sign/re-structure as well.

In theory, we could get Ellerbe back, let McKinnie/Kruger/Reed/C. Williams walk and keep the rest of our roster intact, while trying to upgrade through the draft everywhere else. If we can find a way of trimming $8-10 off the roster by restructures or maybe 1-2 cuts, we can have the room for Kruger, Ellerbe, and maybe Mckinnie or another veteran LT.

This will be the most challenging offseason of Ozzie's tenure, but things aren't as dire as they seem.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    he said I wonder how many
    times we can keep bringing you these trophies.
    ....and still keep a chip on your shoulder" was the exact quote.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    All we'd need to do to keep Dickson is offer him a ROD tender and he will be back in 2013 for about $1.3 million. Nobody is giving up their 3rd round pick to sign Dickson. If they did, even better. The odds of Dickson being back are about 99%
    If this is the only (or the biggest) quibble you have with that post, I consider myself flattered. ;)

Ed had a couple of nice catches in the Bowel & I wouldn't be surprised if some team thought his combination of speed & size was worth a 3rd--especially if this draft is as thin on offensive skill players as speculation has it.

Blog Entries

I think people are totally underestimating the team we have right now, we just won the freaking SB for christ sake, this is Ozzie we are talking about. Some cap issues aren't going to keep us from competing for another SB title. We will bring back two key UFAs (excluding Flacco who is just going to be signed anyway), and sign 1 or 2 unheralded FAs, the rest of the roster improvements will come from the draft, and with 11 picks and Ozzie drafting, I like our chances. We are just going to be going in with a slightly different team that is younger than usual. Ultimately, on paper it wont be the best team we've had in the Harbaugh era, but it will still be a play off calibre team that will still IMO be favorites to win the AFCN again.

This is NOTHING like 2001 or 2002, we actually have a franchise QB, and a good all around offense. We wont be having to clean house at all.

Blog Entries

I'd like to resign Boldin and Jacoby Jones to more cap friendly contracts for 2013. Let's not be fooled by players like Doss or Deonte Thompson or Streeter replacing them at this point. Also would like to see Ray's and Birk's (I think he will retire) and Ed Reed's (retire or ugh release) contract$ go towards building the next generation of Ravens. I believe Kruger has played his last game in a Ravens uni, but perhaps Ozzie will attempt to resign Ellerbe. In any case, Upshaw, KO, Pierce, GG (our new starting Center), plus the 2013 draft, will keep this team solidified. Let's not forget Ozzie's knack for signing UDFAs either. I see the 2013 Ravens making the playoffs again, ho hum... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'd like to resign Boldin and Jacoby Jones to more cap friendly contracts for 2013. Let's not be fooled by players like Doss or Deonte Thompson or Streeter replacing them at this point. Also would like to see Ray's and Birk's (I think he will retire) and Ed Reed's (retire or ugh release) contract$ go towards building the next generation of Ravens. I believe Kruger has played his last game in a Ravens uni, but perhaps Ozzie will attempt to resign Ellerbe. In any case, Upshaw, KO, Pierce, GG (our new starting Center), plus the 2013 draft, will keep this team solidified. Let's not forget Ozzie's knack for signing UDFAs either. I see the 2013 Ravens making the playoffs again, ho hum... Bc
    Always enjoy your insight BC, good post.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think people are totally underestimating the team we have right now, we just won the freaking SB for christ sake, this is Ozzie we are talking about. Some cap issues aren't going to keep us from competing for another SB title. We will bring back two key UFAs (excluding Flacco who is just going to be signed anyway), and sign 1 or 2 unheralded FAs, the rest of the roster improvements will come from the draft, and with 11 picks and Ozzie drafting, I like our chances. We are just going to be going in with a slightly different team that is younger than usual. Ultimately, on paper it wont be the best team we've had in the Harbaugh era, but it will still be a play off calibre team that will still IMO be favorites to win the AFCN again.

This is NOTHING like 2001 or 2002, we actually have a franchise QB, and a good all around offense. We wont be having to clean house at all.
    Exactly.

Oz has put a contending roster out there every year since about 99. Some seasons the wheels fell off due to injury or sub par QB play catching up to eventually, but how many times has he he turned the roster over already?

Teams like NE, Indy and Pittsburgh have been able to be perennial contenders once they got the franchis QB in place. The Ravens were able to nearly the same level of consistant winning while waitng for Flacco to come along and acend to that top tier QB level.

In my opinion, this is the begining of a new raven dynasty, despite the influx of talent in the NFL at the QB position. This should now be a franchise that is able to attract the top assistant coaches, vet free agent fixes, and there is no reason to think the FO will start to slip in terms of drafting and development.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post

Ed had a couple of nice catches in the Bowel & I wouldn't be surprised if some team thought his combination of speed & size was worth a 3rd--especially if this draft is as thin on offensive skill players as speculation has it.
    Well, we can hope. Personally, I don't think anyone would give up a 3rd for him.

Q and Jones are going to surely get extended. I can't see Ozzie cutting them.

We will probably lose Kruger, Williams, Reed, maybe McKinnie. Birk, Lewis, are retiring.

It's not nearly as dire as some may think, there is a lot of room for restructuring down the line.

The best thing is the AFCN is still our division to win. The Steelers are a mediocre team that is in much worse cap shape, the Browns are still a ways away, and the Bengals are ok, but not quite in our league.

Sounds good in theory. His stock is very high right now. He may want to roll the dice that he gets a new three year deal with more guaranteed.

I'm not as concerned with the offense. Birk retires and Gradkowski steps in. Resign McKinney and we have the same line next year with the exception of Birk. LT is my biggest concern and my worst nightmare is Oher going back there. Restructure Boldin and Jones if possible. We'll see about Dickson but if we lose him I'm not going to panic. Leech is a luxury at this point.

The defense will lose starters. Ray, probably Ed and Williams too. Lose Ellerbe and we're up to 4 starters and have to fill in both inside LB positions, I'm hoping they keep him. I agree with most, although Krueger is our best pass rusher they probably are not going to be able to keep him. Upshaw should be ready by next year but not as effective as a pass rusher. Art Jones is a RFA too. I wasn't impressed with the NT play and we were vulnerable for much of the year against the run. Cornerback we'll be fine at without Williams with Webb returning and hopefully Smith improving. My biggest concerns are ILB, FS and line.