Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who to keep

Who to keep

Providing we sign the mvp to a long term deal which will help the cap., I think we should try to keep 2/3 of the team togther if possible. By 2/3 i mean offense and special teams. Extend Boldin and Jones 2-3 years each and Pitta for 3 years. Dickson I would let go. Jones fills a few areas, wide reciever and is a great return guy. Now you have Joe, Q, Smith,Pitta and Jones back for at least 2-3 more years together which should keep our offense in the top tier. Mckinnie I don't know about, I guess a contract laden with clauses but I don't trust he will live up to it. Defense wise I'd keep Ellerbe and let Krueger go and Cary go. Webb and Graham as corners and Jimmy and C Brown in our nickel with Pollard and maybe Ed if he gave a home town discount which I doubt he will do. Draft wise we need few spots filled obviously. I see very little dropoff if you can keep that together.

Blog Entries

Re: Who to keep

I don't see how the Ravens can keep both Q & Jacoby--they're both due big paydays & they won't both take a cut. Doss isn't Q & never will be but if he hits the weight room hard & can put on 10-12 lb in the upper body & work on catching, he might not be too much of a step down. Deonte Thompson &/or Tommy Streeter are the capstrapped-man's candidates for Jacoby's role.
    Dickson would be nice to keep but he doesn't seem to do the job as a blocker & someone will pay too much for him.

Ellerbe needs to be reupped to anchor the defensive interior. Kruger, much as I hate to say it, is going to walk--we can't afford him, Upshaw is going to be more of a 3-down player, & there are young guys like Adrian Hamilton that need a look as situational edge rushers. Kemo moves on but Tyson might be able to fill in. Can't see Ed Reeeeeed signing a cap-friendly extension & it's not clear there's anyone on the roster who could jump in (Christian Thompson?) I think they'll start the season with Ellerbe & McClain at ILB for lack of better alternatives--I don''t think they'd bite on Te'o unless he fell to the end of round 2 & maybe not then.

The huuuuuge problem is LOT. Oher plays a middling-to-poor LT & a pretty good RT, but he still thinks of himself as a LT & wants to be paid as such; the move to RT was in his mind temporary in order to get the best line on the field. If they find anyone else to play LT--& that specifically includes re-signing McKinnie--they are almost guaranteed to lose him when his contract expires; some team will almost certainly consider him an upgrade at LT & be willing to pay him. So even if they gamble some 2014 picks to move up & draft their LT of the future, they'll need a RT of the future the year after. I expect the Ravens to pencil Oher in at LT & draft a RT in round 1, trading up a few slots if necessary, then look for a FS in round 2.

I think this is the best they can reasonably expect to do for next season--& it may not even be good enough to get back to the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Dickson would be nice to keep but he doesn't seem to do the job as a blocker & someone will pay too much for him.
    All we'd need to do to keep Dickson is offer him a ROD tender and he will be back in 2013 for about $1.3 million. Nobody is giving up their 3rd round pick to sign Dickson. If they did, even better. The odds of Dickson being back are about 99%

I personally think the move is to...

Extend to a lower cap number:
    Leach, Boldin and Jacoby
    Cut
    Birk/Williams
    Non-Tender
    Dickson/David Reed/Harewood
    Tender RFA
    Art Jones, Pitta
    Allow to leave
    Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Kruger, Cary Williams
    Re-sign UFA
    Ellerbe, oops stopped early here... Big Mac and bviously Flacco
    Last edited by jonboy79; 02-06-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    All we'd need to do to keep Dickson is offer him a ROD tender and he will be back in 2013 for about $1.3 million. Nobody is giving up their 3rd round pick to sign Dickson. If they did, even better. The odds of Dickson being back are about 99%
    I still think $1.3m is a lot of money for Dickson, who isn't the best fit here.

Are you really ready to say this franchise is going to struggle to make the playoffs next year based on some potential salary cap problems? We are not nearly in as bad a shape as the Steelers were this time last year. It may take a lot of moves, but I fully expect Oz to produce a fully loaded roster capable of at least making the playoffs next year with a chance to defend the title.

I think Q gets an extention. Suggs has a huge cap number and even with all the injuries this year, I would not hesitate to extend him. There are always moves that can be made, and we should all trust Oz at this point to make the right ones.

Kruger will not be very easy to replace. He is exactly what we have needed ever since he was drafted, and I do not trust the draft to deliver another pass rusher. Even though Ellerbe plays more and is likely going to cost less, he may be the easier guy to find a replacement for.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I still think $1.3m is a lot of money for Dickson, who isn't the best fit here.
    The Ravens' history of RFA tenders says that you couldn't be more wrong. If they gave a $1.9 million 2nd round tender to Ellerbe last offseason after an awful 2011, they are going to go give $1.3 million to Dickson. $1.3 million to a veteran in his prime, even if he is a backup, is still a monumental bargain. Tendering him only increases our salary cap about $750-800k. That's peanuts.

Blog Entries

Release Jacoby Jones and continue to develop Deonte Thompson for that role
    Extend Boldin, one more year, to lower his 2013 cap figure by a few million.
    Resign Bryant McKinnie for $5 million or less. Otherwise, let him go.
    Draft a LT either way.
    Let Williams sign elsewhere.
    Kruger WILL sign elsewhere.
    Sign Reed for $4 or less. Otherwise, let him go to another team (Although it will be tough to see him leave).
    Give Birk time, I think he will announce his retirement.
    Resign Ellerbe, because ILB money is on the down right now.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Birk said when the season started he came back for one more shot at the SB, so he might go out like Ray now - a Champ!

It's gonna be hard to keep Jacoby and Boldin under the cap. Jacoby is still signed. Boldin isn't.

Me thinks Bisciotti's comments at the stadium today went over everyone's heads when he said I wonder how many
    times we can keep bringing you these trophies.

TRANSLATED: Once we pay Joe we gutt the entire team like we did in 01. It took us 11 years to get over that
    and win another trophhy.

Blog Entries

If it comes down to Boldin and Jones, the answer is Boldin.

I expect the league to prioritize who they want to keep.

At the top of that list is, undoubtedly, Joe Flacco. After that, it will either be Boldin or McKinnie. I think the team will concede Kruger, because they just won't be able to put in a high enough bid for him. Even if they were willing to.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post

It's gonna be hard to keep Jacoby and Boldin under the cap. Jacoby is still signed. Boldin isn't.

Incorrect.

I'm really not sure why this is so hard for so many to grasp. We've only gone over this like 659 times on this message board. Both are under contract. Jacoby Jones is due a $1 million roster bonus in the next few weeks + a base salary of $3 million. He also carries $900k in dead money if we cut him. Boldin is under contract for $7.53 million. That is a $6 million salary with $1.53 dead money if we cut him.

Also, there is absolutely nothing certain at all that we can't keep both players. In reality, we can indeed keep both players at their current salaries without going over the cap. However, it would basically eliminate the chance of bringing back Kruger or Ellerbe or any other UFA. A more likely scenario is that you tack on a year to each's contract, convert some of their 2013 base salary into a bonus, and still walk away with room to attack other areas of the roster.

Cut Leach. Need to move towards more of an h-back. With Joe getting a monster contract going offense is going to be QB driven. Joe clearly does better when not in the I. Would rather see someone like walker from SF who can be TE and FB.

Ravens have little leverage with Q. Before the playoff run they could have extended him. Now he is probably not considered to be that over paid. He would probably take being cut versus an extension that reduces his pay this year.

With Jones the Ravens need to see where Thompson is in regards to possible replacement. Would like to see McKinnie brought back on two yer deal for about 3m per. Ellerbe needs to be resigned.

If they can sign Joe I would like to see them franchise Kruger and potentially trade him.