Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who to keep

Blog Entries

Re: Who to keep

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    All we'd need to do to keep Dickson is offer him a ROD tender and he will be back in 2013 for about $1.3 million. Nobody is giving up their 3rd round pick to sign Dickson. If they did, even better. The odds of Dickson being back are about 99%
    If this is the only (or the biggest) quibble you have with that post, I consider myself flattered.

Ed had a couple of nice catches in the Bowel & I wouldn't be surprised if some team thought his combination of speed & size was worth a 3rd--especially if this draft is as thin on offensive skill players as speculation has it.

Blog Entries

I think people are totally underestimating the team we have right now, we just won the freaking SB for christ sake, this is Ozzie we are talking about. Some cap issues aren't going to keep us from competing for another SB title. We will bring back two key UFAs (excluding Flacco who is just going to be signed anyway), and sign 1 or 2 unheralded FAs, the rest of the roster improvements will come from the draft, and with 11 picks and Ozzie drafting, I like our chances. We are just going to be going in with a slightly different team that is younger than usual. Ultimately, on paper it wont be the best team we've had in the Harbaugh era, but it will still be a play off calibre team that will still IMO be favorites to win the AFCN again.

This is NOTHING like 2001 or 2002, we actually have a franchise QB, and a good all around offense. We wont be having to clean house at all.

Blog Entries

I'd like to resign Boldin and Jacoby Jones to more cap friendly contracts for 2013. Let's not be fooled by players like Doss or Deonte Thompson or Streeter replacing them at this point. Also would like to see Ray's and Birk's (I think he will retire) and Ed Reed's (retire or ugh release) contract$ go towards building the next generation of Ravens. I believe Kruger has played his last game in a Ravens uni, but perhaps Ozzie will attempt to resign Ellerbe. In any case, Upshaw, KO, Pierce, GG (our new starting Center), plus the 2013 draft, will keep this team solidified. Let's not forget Ozzie's knack for signing UDFAs either. I see the 2013 Ravens making the playoffs again, ho hum... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'd like to resign Boldin and Jacoby Jones to more cap friendly contracts for 2013. Let's not be fooled by players like Doss or Deonte Thompson or Streeter replacing them at this point. Also would like to see Ray's and Birk's (I think he will retire) and Ed Reed's (retire or ugh release) contract$ go towards building the next generation of Ravens. I believe Kruger has played his last game in a Ravens uni, but perhaps Ozzie will attempt to resign Ellerbe. In any case, Upshaw, KO, Pierce, GG (our new starting Center), plus the 2013 draft, will keep this team solidified. Let's not forget Ozzie's knack for signing UDFAs either. I see the 2013 Ravens making the playoffs again, ho hum... Bc
    Always enjoy your insight BC, good post.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think people are totally underestimating the team we have right now, we just won the freaking SB for christ sake, this is Ozzie we are talking about. Some cap issues aren't going to keep us from competing for another SB title. We will bring back two key UFAs (excluding Flacco who is just going to be signed anyway), and sign 1 or 2 unheralded FAs, the rest of the roster improvements will come from the draft, and with 11 picks and Ozzie drafting, I like our chances. We are just going to be going in with a slightly different team that is younger than usual. Ultimately, on paper it wont be the best team we've had in the Harbaugh era, but it will still be a play off calibre team that will still IMO be favorites to win the AFCN again.

This is NOTHING like 2001 or 2002, we actually have a franchise QB, and a good all around offense. We wont be having to clean house at all.
    Exactly.

Oz has put a contending roster out there every year since about 99. Some seasons the wheels fell off due to injury or sub par QB play catching up to eventually, but how many times has he he turned the roster over already?

Teams like NE, Indy and Pittsburgh have been able to be perennial contenders once they got the franchis QB in place. The Ravens were able to nearly the same level of consistant winning while waitng for Flacco to come along and acend to that top tier QB level.

In my opinion, this is the begining of a new raven dynasty, despite the influx of talent in the NFL at the QB position. This should now be a franchise that is able to attract the top assistant coaches, vet free agent fixes, and there is no reason to think the FO will start to slip in terms of drafting and development.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post

Ed had a couple of nice catches in the Bowel & I wouldn't be surprised if some team thought his combination of speed & size was worth a 3rd--especially if this draft is as thin on offensive skill players as speculation has it.
    Well, we can hope. Personally, I don't think anyone would give up a 3rd for him.

Blog Entries

Q and Jones are going to surely get extended. I can't see Ozzie cutting them.

We will probably lose Kruger, Williams, Reed, maybe McKinnie. Birk, Lewis, are retiring.

It's not nearly as dire as some may think, there is a lot of room for restructuring down the line.

The best thing is the AFCN is still our division to win. The Steelers are a mediocre team that is in much worse cap shape, the Browns are still a ways away, and the Bengals are ok, but not quite in our league.

Sounds good in theory. His stock is very high right now. He may want to roll the dice that he gets a new three year deal with more guaranteed.

I'm not as concerned with the offense. Birk retires and Gradkowski steps in. Resign McKinney and we have the same line next year with the exception of Birk. LT is my biggest concern and my worst nightmare is Oher going back there. Restructure Boldin and Jones if possible. We'll see about Dickson but if we lose him I'm not going to panic. Leech is a luxury at this point.

The defense will lose starters. Ray, probably Ed and Williams too. Lose Ellerbe and we're up to 4 starters and have to fill in both inside LB positions, I'm hoping they keep him. I agree with most, although Krueger is our best pass rusher they probably are not going to be able to keep him. Upshaw should be ready by next year but not as effective as a pass rusher. Art Jones is a RFA too. I wasn't impressed with the NT play and we were vulnerable for much of the year against the run. Cornerback we'll be fine at without Williams with Webb returning and hopefully Smith improving. My biggest concerns are ILB, FS and line.

Blog Entries
    Watching the SB, Ed Reed covered up several mistakes by linebackers and DBs. Hope we can keep him around another year
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I think they need to do everything they can to extend Boldin//Jones/Mckinnie(seriously). Ravens made this SB on the strength of their receivers and they need to keep this group together for the next 2-3 years. Even if it means key losses on defense. This is Joe's team now. They have to surround him with the best talent they can and rebuild the defense through the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I think they need to do everything they can to extend Boldin//Jones/Mckinnie(seriously). Ravens made this SB on the strength of their receivers and they need to keep this group together for the next 2-3 years. Even if it means key losses on defense. This is Joe's team now. They have to surround him with the best talent they can and rebuild the defense through the draft.
    It's a tall order to fill 2 ILB positions, a FS, a pass rusher and a weak NT position through the draft in one year. I want to get Ed back too, but I'm afraid what they'll offer him may insult him.

After Joe I feel the priorities are as follows:

Find a way to resign Kruger and Ellerbee
    Find a way to retain both Boldin and Jacoby by restructuring their contacts, I don't think Doss, Thompson or Streeter are ready to step up
    I'm confident our FO will do what's necessary to reload and continue to be a legitimate contender. It should be interesting to see how the Ravens respond to the huge leadership vacuum Ray Lewis leaves behind.

A few thoughts...

I think Ed Reed comes back, based off what Harbaugh alluded to a few times in regards to their conversation on the way back on the bus. Plus what Ed said today, it's clear his heart in stitched onto this city. I also think losing him and Ray at once is too much of a leadership loss for this defense that is filled with many young players.

We need to extend Flacco and avoid the franchise tag.

Re-signing Ellerbe is a no-brainer.

Keep Kruger if we can, if not, whatever.

Peace Cary Williams.

To those saying not to tender Ed Dickson, couldn't disagree more. He is the most talented tight end on the team, and once Cam got fired, we started to see how effective he can be once again.

Re-structure/extend Boldin, Suggs, and Jacoby.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    It's a tall order to fill 2 ILB positions, a FS, a pass rusher and a weak NT position through the draft in one year. I want to get Ed back too, but I'm afraid what they'll offer him may insult him.
    I was thinking more along the lines of rebuilding over the next couple years. Even if it means taking a major step back on that side of the ball. If Joe and those receivers can put up 30 per game, I think we can still contend. We need to get used to the defense taking a back seat to the offense now, IMO.