Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: No ring for Cam!

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    My stance makes sense to you, your only gripe is "What purpose does it serve, moving forward, to not give him a ring?"
    Not quite.

I agree with those that say that even though Cam had to go, he contributed a lot to the team, this year and in year's past. He deserves his share of the credit.

And moving forward, it serves no purpose with potential coaches and players, to make your organization look like a dick (as put perfectly by GOTA).

We disagree...you can have the last word.

Not to mention if it were me, I wouldn't want a ring from a team that fired me for thinking I wasn't good enough.
    Cam thinks he was fired just to put pressure on everybody else, not because of performance. He believes he was the sacrificial virgin being thrown into the volcano.

Whoa. That's a disturbing visual.

He will get a ring. Maybe they can sneak an asterisk into the design of his.

I've been as anti-Cam as anyone over the past year. And one can certainly make the argument that he'd done more harm than good during the 2012 season.

But this isn't like your run-of-the-mill firing in the corporate world. This is equal parts "doing the right thing" (due to Cam's position, tenure and loyal service) and burnishing the team's public image (because image has a very real impact when other potential players/coaches consider whether they want to come work for the Ravens). Therefore, offering Cam a ring only makes sense. There is absolutely no upside to snubbing him in this matter, apart from satisfying unnecessary feelings of schadenfreude among some of us in the fanbase.

There's an argument either way.

No ring to anyone not part of the organization when they win the Super Bowl.

Give a ring to everyone who contributed during the season.

If I were making the call, give him a ring would be the high road good karma thing to do. No hard feelings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Not quite.

I agree with those that say that even though Cam had to go, he contributed a lot to the team, this year and in year's past. He deserves his share of the credit.

And moving forward, it serves no purpose with potential coaches and players, to make your organization look like a dick (as put perfectly by GOTA).

We disagree...you can have the last word.
    So is it because he contributed to the team or because not giving him one would make you look like a dick?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Cam thinks he was fired just to put pressure on everybody else, not because of performance. He believes he was the sacrificial virgin being thrown into the volcano.

Whoa. That's a disturbing visual.

He will get a ring. Maybe they can sneak an asterisk into the design of his.
    Deal!

To me, that'd be like giving a Christmas bonus to a sales guy you fired for not hitting his goals.

Not to mention if it were me, I wouldn't want a ring from a team that fired me for thinking I wasn't good enough.
    That's a really bad comparison.

So is it because he contributed to the team or because not giving him one would make you look like a dick?
    Well, since you asked: Both.

For all I know, he tried his best and it just didn't work out. This isn't Jim Fassell e-mailing his resume and making calls to prospective teams while supposedly working on the game plan for Sunday.

And he didn't take a cheap shot at the organization when he had the chance after getting fired. He handled it with class.

What goes around, comes around...
    Last edited by JohnBKistler; 02-05-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Well, since you asked: Both.

For all I know, he tried his best and it just didn't work out. This isn't Jim Fassell e-mailing his resume and making calls to prospective teams while supposedly working on the gameplane for Sunday.

And he didn't take a cheap shot at the organization when he had the chance after getting fired. He handled it with class.

What goes around, comes around...
    I don't disagree on the karma aspect. But I mentioned it earlier, I wouldn't want a ring if I was Cam. Would you (seriously)?

I don't disagree on the karma aspect. But I mentioned it earlier, I wouldn't want a ring if I was Cam. Would you (seriously)?
    That's a different question...not sure how to answer it without actually having been in that position. (seriously..not dodging your question)

To me, that'd be like giving a Christmas bonus to a sales guy you fired for not hitting his goals.

If you want to use a corporate comparison, then think of the ring as a severance package when someone that has been around and contributed to the corporation for awhile gets laid off for whatever reason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreraventerp View Post
    If you want to use a corporate comparison, then think of the ring as a severance package when someone that has been around and contributed to the corporation for awhile gets laid off for whatever reason.
    I disagree with that because he still got paid.

Maybe the comparison should have been. If a sales guy is involved in a large sale as part of a team, and is fired for holding it back, should he get some of the commission when it closes?

BTW - That doesn't happen. You get commission for what you close when you are there, not for what closes after your gone.