Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Should Ravens consider trading Ray Rice?

I know, I know. Blasphemy. But hear me out...we could likely get at least and 1st and a 2nd rounder for Ray Rice. Unload his contract and free up big cap space. It seems to me that Bernard Pierce could absolutely handle the number one running back duties...and we could use those extra draft picks to find replacements for McKinnie, Reed, Ray, etc...and the extra salary cap space to re-sign some of our guys. This wouldn't be a very ozzie-like move and Ray certainly is a big part of the clubhouse vibe, but I think it's something that should be considered.

Blog Entries

Re: Should Ravens consider trading Ray Rice?

Hes pretty much untradeable 1 year into a 5 year deal. Maybe somebody far better than I with cap implications can tell it, but im sure wed be hit HARD.

Im not sure Rice garners a 1st and 2nd either. RBs have little value which is why I wasnt a fan of spending big bucks on rice in the first place (marshawn Lynch averaged 4 ypc before being traded for a 4th rounder). The possibility he could be replaced by an adequate rookie is exactly where were at right now. Little question, imo, that Pierce didnt out play Rice in his limited reps these playoffs. I love Rice but I think after his contract is up here, this team may realize that spending big at RB is not a good way to stay cap friendly.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Nothing but trading a franchise QB is out of the question. But there is no way we'd get a 1st and 2nd round draft pick for Ray.

You's probably get a 2.

I like Ray as a player and person and so does the team, soI don't see them even thinking about. But for shits and giggles I'd trade him for a a guy like Sean Weatherspoon and a 3rd rounder.

Contract aside, Pierce was banged up (concussion and knee problems) in a limited role, I'm not sure with his running style if he could be counted on shouldering a full workload.

Blog Entries

Why does this keep coming up? You don't trade pro bowl players and take a 12 mill cap hit for a 3rd round pick, I'm glad some of you aren't even close to the Ravens FO, lol no offense.

You're talking about arguably one of the top 3 running backs in football and he's in the prime of his career and under contract for the next four seasons. You don't think we could get at least a first for him?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Why does this keep coming up? You don't trade pro bowl players and take a 12 mill cap hit for a 3rd round pick, I'm glad some of you aren't even close to the Ravens FO, lol no offense.
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    So how does the cap hit work when you trade players? The team assuming the contract doesn't just assume the entire cap hit?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Hes pretty much untradeable 1 year into a 5 year deal. Maybe somebody far better than I with cap implications can tell it, but im sure wed be hit HARD.

Im not sure Rice garners a 1st and 2nd either. RBs have little value which is why I wasnt a fan of spending big bucks on rice in the first place (marshawn Lynch averaged 4 ypc before being traded for a 4th rounder). The possibility he could be replaced by an adequate rookie is exactly where were at right now. Little question, imo, that Pierce didnt out play Rice in his limited reps these playoffs. I love Rice but I think after his contract is up here, this team may realize that spending big at RB is not a good way to stay cap friendly.
    Pierce may have looked better, but I wouldn't say he's as good as an all around player a Rice, until he proves he can put together 5 years of consecutive 1k yards without being hurt (totally the opposite if anything), and doing it while teams have film on you and are literally stacking the box with 8 and 9 players at times, with one of them as a designated spy, oh AND playing under a terrible inconsistent offensive coordinator, then maybe we can talk about comparing them as players.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlacco View Post
    You're talking about arguably one of the top 3 running backs in football and he's in the prime of his career and under contract for the next four seasons. You don't think we could get at least a first for him?
    No.

Maybe a late 1st...but if - IF - some team were going to trade for Rice, it would be a 2nd rounder paired with another pick. Possibly a 4th.

Secondly - you need two good RB's in this league. I think with improved OL play (Juan Castillo) and improved passing attack (Caldwell), Rice will be a lot more effective. It is easy to look at what Pierce has done and think that we could be ok without Rice. And you know, we probably would be ok...but Rice is a valuable member of this team and community. If they were going to trade him, they would have done it last year before the season started.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlacco View Post
    So how does the cap hit work when you trade players? The team assuming the contract doesn't just assume the entire cap hit?
    It doesn't have much to do with the cap, but whoever the trade partner is would have to either A) accept his current deal or B) get him to accept a new deal.

Every contract is team-specific...meaning, the construct of the contract is tailored for that team's specific salary implications. Sure, there are teams that could easily absorb Rice's current deal, but they may not want to.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quite disgusting that this is even being talked about. HORRIBLE idea