Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Did Jimmy Smith interfere on the 4th down play? Pereira opined...

And it was easy to see, throughout the playoffs it was "letting them play".
    Almost every Boldin catch was a contested, DB hanging on him.
    Look at all the TD catches and that great backshoulder catch on 3rd and short.
    They all had a DB, with his back to Flacco, hanging on Boldin, with an arm around his back and an arm on his chest or in his face.
    Boldin has learned over his seasons here, that 9 times out of 10, no flag will be thrown on the DB covering him.
    So, he knows he simply has to go and make the catch.
    Torrey Smith was being grabbed all day running down the field. One flag all day...and that guy mugged him for over 10 yards and was still holding him when the pass flew by.

Crabtree ran up and initiated the contact.
    They pointed it out over and over again.
    I believe Ellerbe came flying in at the snap and forced the early throw which was supposed to be a back shoulder fade...but was off target because of Ellerbe's pressure.
    Crabtree actually put his hand on Smith's helmet and pushed off him as he separated, and Smith fell to the ground.
    It could easily have been called offensive pass interference.

Frankly, the playcalling by the Niners at 2nd and goal from the 5 and on, was terrible.
    Without Ngata inside, it was absolutely STUPID not to try to run at least one more time.

Re: Kirwan dissects 49ers play calling

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    FWIW Pat and Tim were big on Kapernick and were very confident that the 9ers would win this game. To the point of poking fun at callers who might suggest the Ravens could win it. Not sure why they were so biased.
    Whatever the reason, they are jocking the Ravens now. Both cannot say enough about hos well this team played on Sunday.

Blog Entries

IMO it (the non-call) was a good call. Let's give Jimmy Smith, who has been getting some negative feed-back for a 1st round draft choice, credit here for the 3rd and 4th down passes thrown in his direction... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    IMO it (the non-call) was a good call. Let's give Jimmy Smith, who has been getting some negative feed-back for a 1st round draft choice, credit here for the 3rd and 4th down passes thrown in his direction... Bc
    Yep, he definitely manned up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoom View Post
    More importantly, the call was consistent with the rest of the game. There was a lot of contact in the secondary, and ONE pi penalty all game.

Right call. No diggity, no doubt.
    Exactly, the Refs were letting them play the way the game was meant to be played.

Billick was on Mike and Mike this morning as saying it was a penalty and complaining about no flag on the safety even though it was a safety anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenray View Post
    Billick was on Mike and Mike this morning as saying it was a penalty and complaining about no flag on the safety even though it was a safety anyway.
    Was he still contemplating whether the Seahawks would go for it on 4th down and 5, with 44 seconds left, at the Atlanta 27, down by 6 points or whether they would "kick the FG and try for an onsides kick?"

When I heard him say that, all my suspicions were instantly confirmed. What you are saying here (about him and the holding on the safety) is just extra evidence of an already proven point.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Whatever the reason, they are jocking the Ravens now. Both cannot say enough about hos well this team played on Sunday.
    Well...better late than never, I guess.

I was surprised, and said so before the game, with how much confidence people had in a rookie QB playing in the biggest game of his very, very young career. Don't get me wrong, I like Kaepernick, and think he's going to be good for a long time, but I didn't see anyone even mentioning the fact that he may get a little overwhelmed by the moment. Which he did on several occasions.

Peter King is having quite the twitter battle right now.

Niner fans are inundating him with tweets, saying it was holding. He's behind the no call 100% and points out another wrinkle.

Once the ball was in the air, the refs could have only called PI, not holding. Looking at the replay, Crabtree makes contact first (within 5 yards, I might add) and then shoves Smith in the face. Yes, Smith crabbed a handful of jersey, but that was after Crabtree's initial contact, thus legal.

They are delusional is they think that should have been a PI call. The fact Jim Harbaugh was calling for a hold shows poor awareness of the rules on his part.

And that he's a total cry baby.

Niner fans are inundating him with tweets, saying it was holding.
    I am sure fans in Atlanta would find that very entertaining.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenray View Post
    Billick was ... complaining about no flag on the safety even though it was a safety anyway.
    Given that there's no provision for putting time back onto the clock when there's a penalty on the punting team, a flag would have been pointless. You'd think Brainy Brian would have understood that. I think he's just pissed that Harbs was smart enough to think of & call the mug-'em-all maneuver & the punt team was smart & disciplined enough to execute it to perfection.

Now I do think that during the offseason the rules will be changed to keep any other team's goose from being Koched in like fashion, e.g.: When a penalty is committed by the kicking team during the kick (not the runback) & accepted by the receiving team, the game clock is reset to the time when the ball was snapped (or maybe when the ball was spotted by the officials prior to the snap) and time is called.

Blog Entries

Niner fans are inundating him with tweets, saying it was holding. He's behind the no call 100% and points out another wrinkle.

Once the ball was in the air, the refs could have only called PI, not holding. Looking at the replay, Crabtree makes contact first (within 5 yards, I might add) and then shoves Smith in the face. Yes, Smith crabbed a handful of jersey, but that was after Crabtree's initial contact, thus legal.

They are delusional is they think that should have been a PI call. The fact Jim Harbaugh was calling for a hold shows poor awareness of the rules on his part.

And that he's a total cry baby.
    I heard a similar analysis - holding wasn't an option there. Slightly OT but the way Jim gets so emotion, throws things, screams, etc. it just seems to me he can't be doing a great job of situational coaching. He's not thinking about options and making decisions, he's whining.

BTW, Colin Cowherd was killing the 9ers fans today that suggest there was any 'fix'

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!