Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

49er Playcalling & the Alleged "Holding" Call (Merged)

Should be required reading for 49er fans still trying to unwad their panties.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pa...cost-the-49ers
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Blog Entries

Re: Kirwan dissects 49ers play calling

I love this quote

"When it comes to critical situations like the goal-line series for San Francisco I always remember what Marty Schottenheimer once said to me: "When you need a play, think of players not plays." I sure would have liked to have seen Frank Gore, Vernon Davis or even Colin Kaepernick get a shot for the end zone."

That was the common theme amongst Niner fans right after the game. More so than the 4th down alleged holding.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I love this quote

"When it comes to critical situations like the goal-line series for San Francisco I always remember what Marty Schottenheimer once said to me: "When you need a play, think of players not plays." I sure would have liked to have seen Frank Gore, Vernon Davis or even Colin Kaepernick get a shot for the end zone."
    still amazes me they just went to crabtree 3 times in a row. He made all his plays taking advantage of the deep middle of the field, in the red zone there isnt a deep middle.

I like his explanation of the final play too. seems a lot of analysts agree with that from what ive heard. at least NFL network directly after the game agreed you dont call that.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

playcalling was a headscratcher but I'm sure glad they flubbed it. Even Randy Moss - he made a career out of those leaping endzone grabs yet they go to Crabtree. Probably should've continued to run the ball.

Re: the alleged hold, Colin Cowherd played the SF announcer feed from that game and they basically said it was a terrible throw out of bounds, never mentioned any hold, etc.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Re: the alleged hold, Colin Cowherd played the SF announcer feed from that game and they basically said it was a terrible throw out of bounds, never mentioned any hold, etc.
    Drove 6 hours home from NOLA yesterday and listened to Sirius NFL Radio the whole way. The various analysts and host throughout the day were all in agreement it was a good non call.

The overwhelming majority of callers agreed as well and were more perplexed as to the horrible play calling.

I don't understand why people are killing Jim for that fourth down call. It seemed obvious to me that Kaep audibled to the hot read. In fact, Jimmy Smith said he saw the QB touch the back of his helmet, which tipped him off.

As for the other calls? Well, I'm happy with them.

Blog Entries

"1st and goal from the 7: San Francisco puts LaMichael James at the running back spot because Frank Gore just completed a 33-yard run to set up the first down. Keep in mind Ed Reed's touchdown-saving tackle at the 7-yard line or this drive never takes place. The 49ers elect to go with power personnel, putting two blockers in the backfield as well as Kaepernick in the 'pistol' and James behind him. The play choice is an inside I lead play at Ray Lewis which is quickly stuffed by defensive linemen Terrence Cody and DeAngelo Tyson."

Duly noted!!

I'm sure as time goes by, most football fans will agree that the play calling was terrible. One more run would have stopped the questions being ask about that series of plays. Jim H let the moment get to big for him and thought he could outcaoch his brother. Ravens defense were prepared for that series and played their asses off. Trevor pryce knows nothing about Ray Lewis. His defense came up nig and won the game against the great 9er offense with their pistol package. That's what the talking heads called them.

When the Niners were in the Pistol formation, they averaged 8 yards a play, according to Pat Kirwin yesterday.

The number of times they ran out of the Pistol on the goal line stand? Zero.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    When the Niners were in the Pistol formation, they averaged 8 yards a play, according to Pat Kirwin yesterday.

Question on that: was that their screw up or was it the zero blitz that deterred them?

I think you saw Kaepernick's inexperience on those last three plays. He had one read and either he didn't or couldn't look elsewhere. (Remimds me of Joe's pick six in the AFCCG in his first year. ) In a year or two, maybe he finds another option when he sees Crabtree covered.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

And remember, they were going to. It was either the second or third down play where they called the TO with 1 second left on the play clock. The ball was snapped and Kap rolled left on what looked like was going to be a designed run. After the TO, they came back with a different play.

Had they gotten that play set up faster and not had to call the T.O., who knows what would have happened.

Of course, there is no way we could ever attribute that to a rookie QB in the Super Bowl not having the presence of mind to get his team set, or not watching the play clock. No way. Look at that arm! Look how he runs! Check out those tats! Kapernick means ratings, we must never, ever blame him for anything.