NOBODY on tv talkin bout stolen 3 points

Akers did a great acting job, but it was SO obvious(guess it wasn't).
    CMON MAN!!!!
    it wasnt just yardage, it cost us points!!!!!!
    Of course, nobody talking about that on tv

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Re: NOBODY on tv talkin bout stolen 3 points

I heard it mentioned on Around the Horn and whatever the name of the show is with the blond, Marcelus Wiley(sp?) and a live audience. They even chuckled that Akers basically went untouched by the Ravens on the play. Consider that the officials were "letting them play" and could (should?) have called a bunch of other stuff (some PI both ways and the hit on Flacco out of bounds jump to mind).

But I am one to let bygones be bygones, and suffer in the final game result until next season...:happyanim

The difference between winning and losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    I heard it mentioned on Around the Horn and whatever the name of the show is with the blond, Marcelus Wiley(sp?) and a live audience. They even chuckled that Akers basically went untouched by the Ravens on the play. Consider that the officials were "letting them play" and could (should?) have called a bunch of other stuff (some PI both ways and the hit on Flacco out of bounds jump to mind).

But I am one to let bygones be bygones, and suffer in the final game result until next season...:happyanim
    Sports Nation is the name of the show
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

5. Re: NOBODY on tv talkin bout stolen 3 points

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    I actually don't think you have to touch a kicker or punter to be called for a penalty. Similar to a kick returner, you have to give a player kicking the ball space to land, which Chykie clearly didn't. We can bitch about the call all we want, but I think it's more important to question what Chykie was doing.

EDIT: It seems that's actually the exact opposite of the rule:

"A member of the receiving team may not run into or rough a kicker who kicks from behind his line unless contact is:
    (b) Caused by kicker’s own motions."
    Last edited by organizedchaos21; 02-04-2013 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Actually read the rule book

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

CD-
    Thanks, I destroyed more than my share of brain cells yesterday! ;)

oc21--
    I found this link at nfl.com. At about the 8:15 mark or so, they show the play where Brown was penalized for "hitting" Akers. Granted they only show the play from the back, but even setting aside my bias, it appears to me that the punter had room to land, did land unscathed and started his roll much the same way an actor taking a "punch" to the face does to avoid real contact. It appeard to me that Brown's flight path was across the front of where Akers was, not into him, and Akers did a masterful acting job.

IMHO, the officials got taken on that one.

The funniest part was whining Jim Harbaugh wanting a 15 yard personal foul penalty. Just shows you how begging he is, really? You have to at least hit the guy.