Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

jimmy smith's place in baltimore's history

3rd and Lombardi: Crabtree beats Graham and pulls in the catch at the 3 and turns for the EZ only to have Smith knock the ball loose with an exceptional hit.

4th and Lombardi: the niners get Crabtree (#1 wr) in a one on one matchup with Smith (#3 cb). Its the matchup they wanted but Smith does what he was drafted by the Ravens to do, plays physical man to man coverage, jamming Crabtree up, and not allowing him to get a release and make a play on the EZ fade.

BALLGAME!

The goal line stand will go down in history, and the hero of it, IMO, was Jimmy Smith.

Blog Entries

Re: jimmy smith's place in baltimore's history

If he can stay healthy, you know what you can have on your hands.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

We were all calling him the second coming of McAllister when we drafted him, not saying that yet, but he sure showed up clutch and physical.

Blog Entries

I tried telling people, the dude is legit. Last year he played huge against the Patriots. His ceiling is high.

If he does bust, it'll be interesting to see how Ravens fan view him. Would his ending to the Super Bowl outweigh his otherwise failed career? I'm leaning toward yes.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    If he does bust, it'll be interesting to see how Ravens fan view him. Would his ending to the Super Bowl outweigh his otherwise failed career? I'm leaning toward yes.
    I will say yes. Winning a Superbowl is worth it.

Blog Entries

I agree, he has a high ceiling and I would like to see if our DC will use him more in press coverage; he seems to thrive in that style of defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I agree, he has a high ceiling and I would like to see if our DC will use him more in press coverage; he seems to thrive in that style of defense.
    Hopefully he stays healthy because it is probably his health issues that have held back his development.

His play helps with being recognized as someone not to throw against. Or with a touchy feely referee he could be a DPI kind of guy. Refs let a lot of holding and pushing and shoving go without throwing a flag. Made it a good game, hope other refs take notice. I guess since the big teams didn't make it to the SB, the NFL said let them play.Wasn't a chance the NFL could have the refs decide the outcome of this SB.

The guy has amazing talent. He is top 10 pick talent wise, but he just can't stay healthy. He didnt have that problem in college. He needs to play consistently and get reps if he is going to reach his potential. Next year will be big for him. Next year Graham and Webb are your likely starters with him and Chykie Brown in nickel and dime packages.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I tried telling people, the dude is legit. Last year he played huge against the Patriots. His ceiling is high.
    I think he simply hasnt had enough PT. We judge players way too soon around here, and when it comes to letting vets go and trusting them people flip out. Then they end being adequate players or even stars themselves and its back to "in Ozzie we trust". Ill sooner just say "in ozzie we trust" and skip the early judgement. Kid has the tools and last night gave him some confidence/swagger. At CB thats a really important thing which also explains why Cary acts like he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I would have laughed at it before, but with all the talent at corner maybe they do consider moving Webb to FS if Reed leaves, in order to go easier on his knee as he comes back off of injury.
    Hes still our best CB and although i expect him to struggle some like he did before his first year back, hell still be a solid corner that well need. Moving him to safety doesnt make sense financially long term. Hes making way too much to be there.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Jimmy Smith should never have to pay for a drink in Baltimore again! Even if he never hits his high ceiling, he was worth it. Saving the Super Bowl on two consecutive plays is worth everything we spent to get him on our team and more.