Thread: Lights Out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lights Out

With the 30+ minute lights delay - did the 9'ers make adjustments or did the Defense talk themselves into self doubt. D looked well on their way to continuing the ass wipping before the lights went out - afterwards the fire didn't seem to be there. ?????

Re: Lights Out

It was a momentum killer to be sure. An angry 9ers electrical worker I bet. - Gonz

I think Keyshawn Johnson hit the nail on the head, basically said after they gave up that kick off, it gave the 49ers a chance to settle down and clear their heads. It also gave their coaches an extra 34 minutes to work on ways to exploit what the D was giving them in the first half and discuss it with the players.

You are in a fight, beating the crap out of your quality opposition, about to knock them out, and the all of sudden the match is halted by a 30 minute delay......tell me what you think.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
    I think Keyshawn Johnson hit the nail on the head, basically said after they gave up that kick off, it gave the 49ers a chance to settle down and clear their heads. It also gave their coaches an extra 34 minutes to work on ways to exploit what the D was giving them in the first half and discuss it with the players.
    This. Apparently, another thing that pissed off John...Our headsets stopped working right away, but the 49ers headsets were working the whole time, and they were communicating with their coaches in the booth. They were supposed to have refrained from using it while ours were not working.

Basically, it gave them time to settle down without a play clock ticking down. And on our offense, they were about 90 minutes removed from being on the field from their final 1st half drive. So they weren't really in rhythm.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    This. Apparently, another thing that pissed off John...Our headsets stopped working right away, but the 49ers headsets were working the whole time, and they were communicating with their coaches in the booth. They were supposed to have refrained from using it while ours were not working.
    I think you've got your story wrong. Here is a report from SB Nation. It goes along with what I thought I heard Harbaugh say in one of his post game interviews:

One of the interesting happenings during the blackout was that Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh was flipping out. He was angry, and looked more like his brother, Jim Harbaugh, with the way he was going about things. It was unclear what was driving him mad, until a Tweet from Rachel Nichols cleared things up on Monday.

Nichols said that the NFL had initially ordered the Ravens to turn their headsets off to get play to resume, as power had not yet been restored to headsets on the 49ers' side. Harbaugh's outburst reportedly stemmed from the fact that the Ravens' coordinators coach from the upstairs box, and communication without the headsets would have been impossible.

John Harbaugh was mad because the 49ers coordinators coach from the sidelines, so it would have given the 49ers a huge advantage. Even so, the 49ers coordinators had 35 minutes to work with their offense and defense while the Ravens were cut off.

Both sides shared 3 and outs with a punt right after the blackout.

It's a media talking point. I don't think it effected either team as much as the press is saying.

Blog Entries

Disagree slightly...it was 3rd and 13 when the blackout occurred. San Fran didn't pick it up, punted to us. We did get one 1st down on a throw to Torrey, but then went 3 and out. Next drive was a long one to get their first TD. And THAT is where the problems started...

So technically they had a 3 and out after the blackout, but it was really just one long play they didn't get.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Both sides shared 3 and outs with a punt right after the blackout.

It's a media talking point. I don't think it effected either team as much as the press is saying.
    I think it did. At halftime I'm sure the niner's coaches talked them up and convinced them that the 21-6 deficit could be overcome just as the 17-0 deficit was overcome in Atlanta. After Jones returned the 2nd half kickoff 108 yards to put us up 28-6, I think it put all the doubt back on the niners that they could come back. Then, they get another "halftime" to get their heads right again. I really feel that if the lights didn't go out, it wouldn't have been a close game.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    I think it did. At halftime I'm sure the niner's coaches talked them up and convinced them that the 21-6 deficit could be overcome just as the 17-0 deficit was overcome in Atlanta. After Jones returned the 2nd half kickoff 108 yards to put us up 28-6, I think it put all the doubt back on the niners that they could come back. Then, they get another "halftime" to get their heads right again. I really feel that if the lights didn't go out, it wouldn't have been a close game.
    It would have been 35-6 in another minute......
    Way Down South in New Orleans