Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bill Barnwell article post Super Bowl

Link

Good article IMHO.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Re: Bill Barnwell article post Super Bowl

Barnwell has disrespected us at just about every turn since he started writing for Grantland, but I have to commend him for owning up to it and eating crow...every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Barnwell has disrespected us at just about every turn since he started writing for Grantland, but I have to commend him for owning up to it and eating crow...every single time.
    He's disrespected us the whole way, and it's because he loves his stats. This Ravens team required a deeper look to understand what was happening, something that didn't show up in the stat sheet. Anyway, I generally like the guy, except when I read his articles that trash the Ravens. Gonna go read this one now and enjoy it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phacts View Post
    He's disrespected us the whole way, and it's because he loves his stats. This Ravens team required a deeper look to understand what was happening, something that didn't show up in the stat sheet. Anyway, I generally like the guy, except when I read his articles that trash the Ravens. Gonna go read this one now and enjoy it!
    yep. The 2012 Ravens drove these sabermetrics guys insane. You can't quantify a football team just by stats.

Quote Originally Posted by phacts View Post
    I guess I'm a bit biased towards the guy because I'm also into stats and I've been expecting the Ravens to regress for a few years myself (glad to be proven wrong!), but I don't think he has a bias against them or anything.

1) teams can change in season. replacing Cam wi Caldwell was a huge upgrade, tho it took a couple games to get going.
    2) I've seen plenty of games where the 'better' team lost cuz of one tipped pass, fumble, bad call. part of a Super Bowl run is to get a few breaks.

good observation on holding in the end zone = automatic safety. gonna give one anyway so...
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    I guess I'm a bit biased towards the guy because I'm also into stats and I've been expecting the Ravens to regress for a few years myself (glad to be proven wrong!), but I don't think he has a bias against them or anything.
    I don't think he has a bias against us either. I just think he loves being able to logically explain football, and once again it's been shown that in the modern era, breaking football down into quantifiable datapoints doesn't really work. That was the thesis of his article, as I interpreted it.

And you know, if Cam was still the OC, and our Oline didn't change, and all our hurt players didn't get healthy in time, then we would have stayed inconsistent, and faltered, and maybe not even win the division and been lucky to even get in the playoffs.
    Even though I look at stats too, because if the same players are on the field every game for a specific team, then looking at their stats can help to quantify them.

But, if you look at a team like this years' Ravens, then alot of those stats can be thrown out.
    So many players hurt along the way.
    Backups to backups playing sometimes in crucial moments of games this season.
    Young players thrown into early action...and they developed and learned and became battle harded, so to speak.
    Then players coming back at different times...
    Then OC being tossed out at the right time...
    And then becoming healthy enough and a game plan good enough to win the division against the Giants.
    The stats did not reveal how that game played out beforehand.

And everryone coming together, getting healthy (resting during last game of season), Caldwell being comfortable, emotional lift given by Ray, all the rookies and 2nd year players AND this years' acquired free agents gelling AND Oline shift...the stats do not account for all of these changes and what it means.

And that is why the "experts", looking at stats and earlier season performances came to wrong conclusions.
    The Ravens team that took to the fields during the post season didn't resemble the team that started the season or at anytime during it (well maybe the first game - vs. Bengals).
    And as I listened to the "experts" tell their conclusions, I knew they were wrong as soon as it came out of their mouths.
    They didn't do their homework.
    And they ARE bitter that the Ravens made them look stupid.
    And that's why I see all the negative press.