Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Re: Don't forget Upshaw - what a draft

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    But you said their pass rush improved and Ray had more tackles in the playoffs than JJ had during the entire
    season. There were a lot of comments on this board how JJ wasn't doing that well in SD.
    I said their D greatly improved their ability to stop the run. JJ doesn't have to tackle the back to help his team stop the run. Correctly setting the edge and turning a runner inside is the prime example. I honestly didn't watch mroe hten a few games of SD this season, but when I watched he was setting the edge on run downs jst as well as he always did here. What he does is always perform his responsibility on a given play. If everyone else maintains their gap responsibilities, that is a recipe for success in stopping the run.

Blog Entries

But they didn't. SD had two back to back games in November where 64 points were scored on them and then another game in December with another 30 points scored and another game in DEc where 20 points were scored on them.

That's over 100 points scored on them in 4 games alone and they finished 7-9. Doesn't sound like anyone on D stuffed anything.

And he did nothing to stop this. I'm sure everyone remembers this vs him.

"It was just total will," Rice said. "Once I made the first guy miss when I cut back across the grain, I actually saw the defense had to flip their hip and I kept eyeing the first down. I looked and said, 'Should I keep running to the sideline or should I just keep trying to get up field?' And that's what I did. I just kept getting up field.

Note the phrase "flip their hip" as Rice caught the entire D flat footed. And to think there are guys who
    want Pierce to start over Rice.

Say what you want, I'm just saying he didn't earn the money he signed for like so many others and wasn't as good as he was here.

Just my humble freaking opinion.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/rices...vens-16-13-win
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-10-2013 at 02:57 PM.

But they didn't. SD had two back to back games in November where 64 points were scored on them and then another game in December with another 30 points scored and another game in DEc where 20 points were scored on them.

That's over 100 points scored on them in 4 games alone and they finished 7-9. Doesn't sound like anyone on D stuffed anything.

And he did nothing to stop this. I'm sure everyone remembers this vs him.

"It was just total will," Rice said. "Once I made the first guy miss when I cut back across the grain, I actually saw the defense had to flip their hip and I kept eyeing the first down. I looked and said, 'Should I keep running to the sideline or should I just keep trying to get up field?' And that's what I did. I just kept getting up field.

Note the phrase "flip their hip" as Rice caught the entire D flat footed. And to think there are guys who
    want Pierce to start over Rice.

Say what you want, I'm just saying he didn't earn the money he signed for like so many others and wasn't as good as he was here.

Just my humble freaking opinion.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/rices...vens-16-13-win
    THis past year, SD had the 6th best team rush defense with 3.8 ypc and 96.4 ypg
    Last year they had the 20th best rush defense with 4.4 ypc and 122.2 ypg

Blog Entries

They still gave up all those points - over 100 in 4 games alone for a 7-9.

Hell, we had around the 22d ranke D and won the Super Bowl.

But since you're back to stats, JJ has 21.5 career sacks, all but 1.5 in Bmore, so again, he's another
    Raven who didn't pan out after leaving the nest. The parts of the sum don't mean squat if the sum
    adds up to squat which is the case here and Rice made him look really bad flat flooted and all.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-10-2013 at 05:25 PM.

They still gave up all those points - over 100 in 4 games alone for a 7-9.

Hell, we had around the 22d ranke D and won the Super Bowl.

But since you're back to stats, JJ has 21.5 career sacks, all but 1.5 in Bmore, so again, he's another
    Raven who didn't pan out after leaving the nest. The parts of the sum don't mean squat if the sum
    adds up to squat which is the case here.

The fans out there will say JJ flopped as a big FA signing but whatever.
    no offense, but blah, blah, blah, nothign related to what I'm saying.

I'm just saying, that their run D improved dramatically, and JJ is by far the biggest change they made. It's what he does. It doesn't show up on the stat sheet, it JUST IS. Ssan Diego's fans can think what they want,but JJ wasn't the flop they think he was, they jsut didn't know what to look for, or were expecting the wrong things from him. I'm sure the coaching staff knows and appreciates what he has done.

Blog Entries

You're the one who said stats don't mean everything.

SD fans were frustrated because PAGs brother kept blitzing him and nothing. He's also old and will
    become even more mediocre. This is what Ravens fans were saying the week before we played him.

Keep loving him as mediocre but they dont' out there.

Blog Entries

For what its worth, (and I wouldn't put all that much stock into pro football focus) but on the debate between Jarrett Johnson and Courtney Upshaw, PFF gave Jarrett Johnson a +1.0 run defense grading, while Upshaw received a whopping +20.1 grade, (good for best 3-4 OLB in run defense in the entire league.). Pretty damn good for a rookie.

You're the one who said stats don't mean everything.

SD fans were frustrated because PAGs brother kept blitzing him and nothing. He's also old and will
    become even more mediocre. This is what Ravens fans were saying the week before we played him.

Keep loving him as mediocre but they dont' out there.

NO, I said HE doesn't put up stats. Blitzing him isn't necissarily the sollution. If they wanted an upgrade in the pass rush dept, they acquired the wrong player. If they wanted to improve one of the worst run stopping D's in the league, they got everything they wanted and more.

Blog Entries

For the guys who are debating JJ and Upshaw, lets not forget how the football world works :
    (1) If Evans catches that pass, then JJ is in the 2011 Super Bowl.
    (2) If the Broncos Safety is in position to defend the Jacoby Jones pass, then the Ravens aren't in the 2012 Super Bowl.
    Things sometimes turn on one play, both of these guys are warriors. JJ got his $ in San Diego, while Upshaw got his ring in Baltimore. That's it to me... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    NO, I said HE doesn't put up stats. Blitzing him isn't necissarily the sollution. If they wanted an upgrade in the pass rush dept, they acquired the wrong player. If they wanted to improve one of the worst run stopping D's in the league, they got everything they wanted and more.

That's not what their fans are saying or ours. See quote above. Again, those little things don't justify
    the big contract he got and he won't get better at his age. Their fan above says that too.

Blog Entries

That's not what their fans are saying or ours. See quote above. Again, those little things don't justify
    the big contract he got and he won't get better at his age. Their fan above says that too.
    The vast majority of fans don't know shit. That's just the truth.