Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

A couple big things: the power outage and the 4th & Goal no-holding call

A couple other lines of thought from this game that are worth exploring ...

Re: the power outage: What the hell was up with this? I've never seen anything like it in my life. If we had lost you can BET it would have been a "thing" to wonder if we'd lost because the outage zapped ALL our momentum. As it happened live I thought it would short-term help us (since SF was coming back to 3rd & 13), not realizing it might long-term hurt us. I mean, damn. Whoever dropped the ball on that failed MISERABLY.

Re: the no-call on us on SF's fourth down at the end, I think it was a good call 1) it looked to be within the first five yards of the LOS, 2) the refs had been letting guys play pretty much all game, and 3) the ball landed five yards OOB, so it was uncatchable anyway. Funny how SF is getting pissy about this when they had the EXACT SAME PLAY benefit them against Atlanta two weeks ago (and when they're saying NOTHING about the amateurish power outage that benefitted them hugely).

Go Ravens!
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Re: A couple big things: the power outage and the 4th & Goal no-holding call

Sorry, just noticed Excellector has a thread on the outage. Mods, feel free to change the title of the thread to just being about the 4th & Goal.

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Sorry, just noticed Excellector has a thread on the outage.
    No apologies necessary from you - you're the author, BRAFootball - of one of the baddest blogs out there ;)

RAVENS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    What bothers me is that there were no back up generators available? How does that happen? That shot is events support 101.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I said it in another thread, but I think it was Steve Young who said you don't bail out a team with a questionable call on a bad play. If anyone from San Francisco wants to complain about the loss, blame it on Jim Harbaugh for some really strange calls on those last four plays.

Blog Entries

Re: the Power Loss...I don't think it was a conspiracy, but I think it gifted the 49ers. They were REELING, and it gave them time to clear their heads, clear their slates, and end up getting hot again.

Re: 4th and Goal. The hold was really within the 5 yard chuck zone to start, he falls off a bit in yards 6 and 7, but still has a piece of him. In the end, there WAS a pushoff from the WR too...So if people are going to cry foul about the hold, it would've been offsetting penalties and a replay of the down. I think in the speed of the game, no call made the most sense.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I said it in another thread, but I think it was Steve Young who said you don't bail out a team with a questionable call on a bad play. If anyone from San Francisco wants to complain about the loss, blame it on Jim Harbaugh for some really strange calls on those last four plays.
    Exactly. We were not in a TERRIBLE position there anyway. It was actually to our benefit how quickly SF got down there. We had all three of our time-outs, and they had four shots to get it done, with each incompletion stopping the clock.

It is really, REALLY ironic that SF is doing this after the Atlanta game where many said they got away with a no-call on Atlanta's fourth down. I defended THE NINERS even then by saying it was within the first five yards. I'm sure they expected to win coming in, and thought they'd win at the end.

Blog Entries

They were letting that contact go from the beginning. There were plays throughout that would have worked in our favor earlier had they called it tight. Plus like you said, he wasn't catching that anyway. Kap just chucked it up there. Play never had a chance. Would have been a f**king gift from the heavens if the refs had called that for them. No way. I call shitty throw rule on that one. That rule being, if there's a shitty throw, then eff the offense. Shouldn't get to benefit, no matter what.

I don't know what was up with that power outage, but between that and the extended halftime, it was like 90 minutes since the defense had a chance to play and it was clear that they were gassed at the end.

As far as the 4th down play, the refs were letting them play all game. Very few penalties called in the game. Torrey could have benefited from a DPI earlier in the game and could have been called for OPI a little later as well. On the play itself, 1) the first 5 yards he's allowed to do be physical as long as the ball isn't in the air, 2) the receiver stiff armed Smith to the ground, 3) it was uncatchable.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    They were letting that contact go from the beginning. There were plays throughout that would have worked in our favor earlier had they called it tight. Plus like you said, he wasn't catching that anyway. Kap just chucked it up there. Play never had a chance. Would have been a f**king gift from the heavens if the refs had called that for them. No way. I call shitty throw rule on that one. That rule being, if there's a shitty throw, then eff the offense. Shouldn't get to benefit, no matter what.
    I agree with this post. Smith pushed down was interesting. But what was interesting was Joe throwing the ball near the sideline and then getting shoved out of bounds. Brady, peyton get that call for roughing the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    But what was interesting was Joe throwing the ball near the sideline and then getting shoved out of bounds. Brady, peyton get that call for roughing the QB.
    We were all yelling at the tv on that one as well. Clearly out of bounds when he was hit.

Blog Entries

Jim Harbaugh and the SF offense choked in that goal line stand. You may not have realized it yet, but this will go down as one the biggest chokes in SB history. And they still had the gall to whine about the refs in the press conference.

If they want to complain about the refs, how about the hit out of bounds on Flacco that would have extended the drive. How about the flop by Akers. Whining about the zebras is the refuge of losers, especially after you were being blown out in the SB and were saved by a very strange power outage.