Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Will Kaepernick Last?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...epernick-last-

Colin Kaepernick is the next Next. The NFL is always looking for that, especially on offense, even as most of its “innovations’’ are liberated from the colleges. If you want to see what NFL offenses are going to do tomorrow, go watch Nevada play today. Or, back a few years, Florida. Or, way back in the day, the University of Houston, where a coach named John Jenkins decided that using five wideouts all the time was a good idea. (cont.)

Blog Entries

Re: Will Kaepernick Last?

See, guys like Kaepernick and RG3 could last because, unlike some of the sick running QBs that came before them, they have a strong arm that can make those throws. Their speed is just another dimension. The thing about Mike Vick is, if you keep him in the pocket, he suddenly becomes very ordinary. RG3 and Kaepernick (maybe even Russell Wilson?) would still be fine in the pocket.

The hinge is going to be durability. As we saw with RG3, when a QB is running, he's fair game. And those hits take their toll. Then it gets tricky.

The pistol offense is hot right now, but I agree with Bruce Arians...given a full offseason, a good number of DCs are going to figure out how to contain that run option, leaving these teams to go back to more traditional passing offenses.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

The other thing that Kaepernick and RGIII have going for them is the fact that they both play for very good offensive coaches. RGIII is the perfect player for the full Shannahan system. Think back to what Shannahan did with Jake Plummer. That's what he will eventually put in for RGIII only RGIII is a lot more talented. I really want to see what that looks like in about 2 years from now.

Kaepernick plays for a guy who will completely adjust the entire offense to fit the talent of his players. Should Gore begin to slow down they're not going to try to fix the running game by running the QB more. Harbaugh is going to adjust the system to fit who he has.

These two guys have a big advantage over Wilson and Newton because of the coaching. I see both doing very well for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    See, guys like Kaepernick and RG3 could last because, unlike some of the sick running QBs that came before them, they have a strong arm that can make those throws. Their speed is just another dimension. The thing about Mike Vick is, if you keep him in the pocket, he suddenly becomes very ordinary. RG3 and Kaepernick (maybe even Russell Wilson?) would still be fine in the pocket.

The hinge is going to be durability. As we saw with RG3, when a QB is running, he's fair game. And those hits take their toll. Then it gets tricky.

The pistol offense is hot right now, but I agree with Bruce Arians...given a full offseason, a good number of DCs are going to figure out how to contain that run option, leaving these teams to go back to more traditional passing offenses.
    In total agreement. I would not call the pistol a gimmick but I do think that given an entire offseason DC's will be able to design schemes that will significantly decrease its effectiveness.

Also totally agree with you about the difference in throwing ability between a guy like Vick and RG3, Kaepernick and Wilson. The fact that these guys can throw very effectively will eventually lead to teams using the pistol situationally or as a change of pace offense (kinda like a no huddle). The NFL stands for Not For Long if you allow your QB to run around absorbing hits like that. These guys have to much value to allow that to occur IMO and adjustments will be made with that in mind
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

I just call to mind when the Wildcat started to gain popularity. There were a couple big games where Ronnie and Ricky just DESTROYED opposing D.

And then the Ravens played them. We were ALL over that scheme, and they lost 27-13. The Wildcat still rears it's head now and again, but if you play a discipline D against it, it's not really effective.

Although I do wish occasionally, we'd try to bring this play back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ6zcf6dpRI
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I don't think Jim Harbaugh is going to run much pistol tomorrow, but Kaepernick is lucky to remember the plays.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

I just call to mind when the Wildcat started to gain popularity. There were a couple big games where Ronnie and Ricky just DESTROYED opposing D.

And then the Ravens played them. We were ALL over that scheme, and they lost 27-13. The Wildcat still rears it's head now and again, but if you play a discipline D against it, it's not really effective.

Although I do wish occasionally, we'd try to bring this play back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ6zcf6dpRI
    lol yea classic :)

Think you bring up a good point. We have seen various offensive systems like the wildcat, run and gun etc come and go. Elements of them persist and are pulled out periodically.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

In the end of the day, it's still 11 on 11 with 1 football. Defenses will adjust to counter the pistol and the read-option. It just takes a little time for the defenses to catch up.

Kap will last, but the Pistol will not.

Only if the NFL comes up with new penalties to protect the Qb. No hitting the Qb in the leg area. No hitting the Qb hard. One tackler is only allowed to tackle Qb. Qb is not allowed to be pushed out of bounds. No hitting the Qb above the chest area.. No spitting or cussing at Qb, automatic ejection for player who does so.
    I'll wait and see how it works out next year. Surely great defense coaches will plan for it. Again, why hasn't nevada won the BCS championship with it. College coaches are smarter then NFL coaches.

I disagree about one thing. Mike Vick has a cannon for an arm. But Mike Vick did not invent the running QB. Steve Young and Randall Cunningham could run and throw. They were successful because they used their legs as a weapon, but did not rely on their legs exclusively when blitzed or when coverage breaks down. Whether or not Colin Kaepernick survives depends on his instincts when the pressure comes. If, when he drops back to pass and gets blitzed, his first instinct needs to be to find the uncovered receiver or back and get the ball to him. If he runs when he senses pressure all the time, he is going to take hits and he will get injured. It is just a matter of time. This is the Tim Tebow problem. When Tebow faces any kind of pressure he puts the ball down and runs. All his life this is what he has done and under pressure it is how he reacts. He makes a lot of plays but it leads to being shut down by disciplined defenses and eventually to injury. Is Kaepernick the same way, I don't know. He seems to have the arm to be successful, but the sample size on him is really small.

This is also my issue with Russell Wilson. He is one hell of a talent but twice a year Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman are going to line up to take shots at him. All it takes is one mistake and your career is changed.

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    I disagree about one thing. Mike Vick has a cannon for an arm. But Mike Vick did not invent the running QB. Steve Young and Randall Cunningham could run and throw. They were successful because they used their legs as a weapon, but did not rely on their legs exclusively when blitzed or when coverage breaks down. Whether or not Colin Kaepernick survives depends on his instincts when the pressure comes. If, when he drops back to pass and gets blitzed, his first instinct needs to be to find the uncovered receiver or back and get the ball to him. If he runs when he senses pressure all the time, he is going to take hits and he will get injured. It is just a matter of time. This is the Tim Tebow problem. When Tebow faces any kind of pressure he puts the ball down and runs. All his life this is what he has done and under pressure it is how he reacts. He makes a lot of plays but it leads to being shut down by disciplined defenses and eventually to injury. Is Kaepernick the same way, I don't know. He seems to have the arm to be successful, but the sample size on him is really small.

This is also my issue with Russell Wilson. He is one hell of a talent but twice a year Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman are going to line up to take shots at him. All it takes is one mistake and your career is changed.
    Vick has a strong arm but I am not sure that he has ever been as accurate a passer (especially in his younger years) as RG3 and Russell Wilson. Kaepernick seems to have that potential also but as you said its a real small sample size.
    -Ray Lewis