Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Will JO be inducted into the Hall of Fame Tomorrow?

JO should get in tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Art Model is in, no doubt. Bet the Ranch on it. JO also makes it.
    Art's not getting in this year.

I've said for 17 years, Art would one day be in the HOF - his accompishments are too great to keep him out forever. But his "punishment" for moving the team would be that he wouldn't live to see that day come.

I still believe it happens, but maybe not for another 5 years or so. Look, if you took every HOF voter, held their feet to the fire and forced them to tell the truth, I think you'd easily find 75% who would say yes, he deserves to be voted in. But that doesn't mean they WANT to. And given the top-heavy slate of candidates this year, it's just way too easy for them to avoid the controversy altogether, and vote instead for other guys they also feel are deserving. If a worthy candidate's going to get left out, it might as well be the one with a "stain" on their record, right?

Read what John Clayton had to say about the situation recently: In the same article in which he praises Art Modell as "mostly a model owner", he also stated this:

"A majority of people in the HOF room -- including me -- never felt comfortable enough to vote him in. Canton is too close to Cleveland. It just didn't feel right."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/83...wner-many-ways

Really John?! So if the HOF was in, say, New York, rather than Ohio, you'd vote for him? I personally think that's a cowardly position to take. But if that's what Art is up against - not just the Tony Grossi's, but also voters like John Clayton, whom I believe understands intellectually that he deserves to be in, but is basically looking for an excuse not to vote for him - then he's still got a long climb ahead to make it in.

I hope I'm completely wrong.
    Last edited by MarkS; 02-01-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Parcells should be #1 in the entire class. I was never a fan of ANY of his teams, but he was a hell of a coach and talent evaluator.

Blog Entries

The list of five that GOTA came up with, of who 'should' get in, I agree with.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The list of five that GOTA came up with, of who 'should' get in, I agree with.
    3 olinemen might be tough, that's part of why I have Sapp over Shields.

It's hard to tell but I think JO is a no brainer. I also think Parcells is the most likely of the non-players. That leaves three spots. Many people say that Larry Allen is the best O lineman of all time. He makes three. The three wide receivers are all worthy but one gets in at best. I think it is Carter. Finally, I think it is a toss-up between Haley & Strahan. I'm guessing Haley. Overall, I think Sapp, Strahan, Shields, Greene, Reed, Brown, and Modell (plus maybe Debartalo) are all worthy. One interesting point is that I hear Marvin Harrison is eligible next year? That messes up the WR eligibles.

Ryan
    Last edited by rjslomo; 02-01-2013 at 11:52 PM. Reason: missed info

If JO isn't a first ballot HOFer then I don't know who is. A decade long career as the universally acknowledged best left tackle in his conference and top two in the league (with a strong case for best league wide as well) should make this an easy EASY decision.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    If JO isn't a first ballot HOFer then I don't know who is. A decade long career as the universally acknowledged best left tackle in his conference and top two in the league (with a strong case for best league wide as well) should make this an easy EASY decision.
    :word

If JO is not a first ballot HOFer than the voters just do not appreciate the value of OL play. That said I think he gets in with no prob
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    If JO is not a first ballot HOFer than the voters just do not appreciate the value of OL play.
    Not true...they only have 5 selections, and there are 3 very deserving OL in Ogden, Shields, and Allen. Not likely they put all 3 in, and all 3 are guys who should be in the Hall at some point.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

In the past decade the only offensive lineman to go in the HOF on the 1st ballot was Bruce Matthews. JO made 11 Pro Bowls and 4 All Pro teams. Matthews was a 14 time Pro Bowler and 7 time All Pro.

From what I've heard Pro Bowls and All Pros mean more to offensive lineman because the voters just don't have too many stats they can look at. They really need to have seen these guys play week in and week out and unless they cover that team it doesn't happen. It's going to come down to reputation, awards and how well JO is pushed by the local voters.

The fact that Tim Brown isn't in yet is a bit ridiculous. Does anyone here even consider his HOF qualifications borderline?

Excluding Rich Gannon for 2-3 years, the guy had a bunch of noodle-armed bozos throwing him the football and he still is 5th all-time in catches, 5th in receiving yards, 7th in receiving TDs. That makes him a slam dunk right there. Even if it wasn't enough, he is also 5th in punt return yards and all-purpose yards. He was a magnificent receiver and one of the best punt returners in NFL history.

Yet, Richard Dent and Russ Grimm get in ahead of him? Cmon man

Blog Entries

Was it him who also doubled as a CB?

Maybe I'm thinking of TROY Brown?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!