Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: Will JO be inducted into the Hall of Fame Tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenDavey View Post
    Congrats to JO!!!!

...and thank you Ozzie! Your first two draft picks will live forever in Raven Nation!
    Indeed. Two 1st ballot Hall of Famers to open up the franchise's draft record. Totally incredible and against all odds.

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedPurple2127 View Post
    The voters were talking about how it isn't fair how they have to compare players vs coaches/owners and suggested they have a separate yes/no ballet for non players. I kind of agree...how do you measure a stud wide receiver like a Carter or Reed vs an Art Moddell or Debartolo.

Anyways...congrats to JO!!!
    On that note....

Prior to him making the finals, has ANYONE on this board even HEARD OF Curly Culp? Or the Robinson dude? The veterans comittee getting 2 automatics every year has certainly run it's course when these are the types of peopel they come up with. I think the Vet committee should come up with 2 names that get combined with non-players and then 2 of THAT LIST should get in each year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    On that note....

Prior to him making the finals, has ANYONE on this board even HEARD OF Curly Culp? Or the Robinson dude? The veterans comittee getting 2 automatics every year has certainly run it's course when these are the types of peopel they come up with. I think the Vet committee should come up with 2 names that get combined with non-players and then 2 of THAT LIST should get in each year.
    Eh, MLB does the same thing. It's a safe guard for older time players/coaches, who may not have had superb numbers but had other lasting impacts on the game, to get in.

I hope it doesn't come to this, but Art Modell may one day be a Senior inductee.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Yeah, My opinion is that Larry Allen is BY FAR the best finalist... He is IMO the best Olinemen of all-time and one of the top 10 players in NFL history t any position.
    Allen is up there, but the best O-lineman of All-time is Anthony Munoz. I would put Allen and Ogden in the top 5 O-linemen of all-time.

Speaking of Allen (again)...check out this clip of him chasing down an LB to prevent a pick-six. Looks almost fake considering his size/weight.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Eh, MLB does the same thing. It's a safe guard for older time players/coaches, who may not have had superb numbers but had other lasting impacts on the game, to get in.

I hope it doesn't come to this, but Art Modell may one day be a Senior inductee.

I understand that when the hall first opened, Football had been played for a while, this the first dozen or so classes had some catching up to do. The players getting in now, simply shows me they concept has fulfilled it's obligation and therefore should be altered.

And Allen vs Munoz... I can see the argument, but Larry Allen was just SO DOMINANT that players set to play opposite seemd to fake injuries on a regular basis so as not to embarrass tjemselves. He was the driving force of Emmitt owning the career rushing record. Munoz is before my time so I didn't watch him play in a real-time basis, and therefore may be biased, but since I began watching football inthe mid 80's I've never seen an Olineman dominate like Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Speaking of Allen (again)...check out this clip of him chasing down an LB to prevent a pick-six. Looks almost fake considering his size/weight.

I remember during the combine or draft, whn Larry Allen came to the NFL, how they were talking about how this 6'3" 330# Olineman could dunk a basketball, easily. That's crazy athleticism. They also spoke of his unmeasurable Leg Press, how he would have several teammates ride on the biggest machine they could find already maxed out with 45# plates.... again, without breaking a sweat.

On that note....

The vets committee is really hit or miss.

Off the top of my head, I can think of only four veteran committee inductees that I thought were clear Hall of Famers: Bob Hayes, Chris Hanburger, Dick Lebeau, and Emmitt Thomas.

I had no problem with Jack Butler (even though he was a friggin Steeler) . He played on some awful Steeler teams, which might have kept him out of the HOF based on playing in the days when team success seemed to be more of a prerequesite than individual success.

Pollard and Friedman were really wayyyyy to old to say one way or the other. Since they were from the pioneer days of the game, I think I'm okay with them going in.

I definitely did not think Les Richter was a HOFer from everything I've read.

I also didn't like the Buoniconti's selection.

Floyd Little is just not a Hall of Famer in any way possible IMO.

I'm conflicted on Charlie Sanders, because he made seven Pro Bowls. Yet his 10 year average as a pro was 33-480-3. I realize the game was different then, but those just aren't HOF #s in the most generous light, so I'd say no to him.

I think Culp is a slight stretch as a HOFer. He made six Pro Bowls and 1 first team all pro. PFR ranks him as the 330th best player of all-time. His AV high was 15 and he only had one year of having an AV over 11, despite playing for some very good Chief defenses (by comparison, Haloti Ngata has had five straight years over 11 including seasons of 16,17, and 18). Being a part of those late 60s/early 70s KC teams probably gets him in, and while I think that's a bit generous, I don't think it's an awful selection.

My major problem with Dave Robinson's induction is that there are already TEN 1960s era Green Bay Packer Hall of Famers already in Canton.

Bart Starr
    Jim Taylor
    Paul Hornung (joke)
    Jim Ringo
    Forrest Gregg
    Willie Davis
    Henry Jordan
    Ray Nitschke
    Willie Wood
    Herb Adderley

9 of those guys are legit HOFers, with Paul Hornung being probably the least-deserving player in Canton. He got in because he was a high-profile Heisman guy at Notre Dame and had a lot of success as a role player on those Packer dynasty teams. Hornung never topped 700 yards in a single season and only topped 500 rushing yards three times. He had 3700 career rushing yards and 1400 receiving yards in 10 seasons.

If there were to be a 10th HOFer off those Packer teams, Robinson is colossally more deserving than Hornung. However, I don't know why they need an 11th on a team that is already heavily represented. Even then, if the NFL wanted to an #11, why not Jerry Kramer? He IMO continues to be one of the top 3 HOF snubs out there (along with Isaiah Robertson and Ken Anderson).

Blog Entries

I understand that when the hall first opened, Football had been played for a while, this the first dozen or so classes had some catching up to do. The players getting in now, simply shows me they concept has fulfilled it's obligation and therefore should be altered.

And Allen vs Munoz... I can see the argument, but Larry Allen was just SO DOMINANT that players set to play opposite seemd to fake injuries on a regular basis so as not to embarrass tjemselves. He was the driving force of Emmitt owning the career rushing record. Munoz is before my time so I didn't watch him play in a real-time basis, and therefore may be biased, but since I began watching football inthe mid 80's I've never seen an Olineman dominate like Allen.
    Munoz had a season where he allowed 1 1/2 sacks. That's not a misprint. And it wasn't like the Bengals had great lineman playing next to him. He had the best technique of any Tackle ever and he was very strong. Munoz was never above 280 pounds either so it wasn't like he was some sort of physical freak. The guy just knew how to play the position better than anyone ever has.

10. Re: Will JO be inducted into the Hall of Fame Tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    I have to agree about the split ballot. There is no way to compare the accomplishments of players and non-players - they can only be compared against their own kind. Congrats to JO and once again Mr. Model gets jobbed.
    :word +1

There's already enough of a logjam with deserving candidates like Cris Carter, Andre Reed, Tim Brown, Cortez Kennedy, Dermontti Dawson, etc... waiting far too long for their induction (Yes, Dawson, Kennedy & Carter are now in, but it took way longer than it should have)

And that logjam is about to get worse with more deserving candidates being added into the mix over the next few years.

They're going to have to make some kind of changes to the election process to alleviate this problem, or it's only going to get worse.

Congrats and thank you to Ogden who deserved to be a first ballot HoF'er.

Want to hear a stat that puts Ogden's absolute dominance into perspective:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter King
    What I really appreciated about Ogden was his, for lack of a better phrase, clean play. He had 13 false starts in his career and 13 holding penalties.
    Holy. Crap.

That's insane for a guy who played as long as he did. Truly the greatest ever.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron