Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Re: High Praise for Bernard Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    And why wouldn't you?

I mean the way he can't supplant Fred Jackson as a starter, and that career high of 43 receptions this year, just screams out better back than Ray Rice.

Of course Spiller is "elite." And Ray isn't.
    Wow did you even watch CJ Spiller this year? The only reason he didn't start is their coach who by the way got fired. Anytime Spiller touched the ball, he was making big things happen.

From PFF
    As if there was any doubt, C.J. Spiller was the most elusive running back in 2012. In fact, Spiller is the most elusive running back to have been given any significant number of carries in the past five seasons. Peterson led the league in forced missed tackles with 71, but Spiller notched 66 on 138 fewer touches. The rate at which he forced misses was ridiculous for somebody given as many carries as he was given. Yet Chan Gailey couldn’t find a way to give him more touches and Buffalo at times seemed to be actively scheming ways to keep the ball out of his hands.
    Also...

Baltimore’s Bernard Pierce is another notable appearance inside the top five, with an ER score that tops that of Peterson in his limited number of touches.
    Though the Ravens starting running back, Ray Rice, remains the feature back, and is a better all-around player, it’s not a stretch to say Bernard Pierce has been the team’s best pure runner. Getting stronger as the season has gone on, he has grown quietly into one of the team’s most productive weapons on offense. Coming onto the field for a few series per game, his ability to make the most of every carry has been key throughout the year.

With just seven receptions in the regular season, Pierce still forced four missed tackles, averaging 6.9 yards after the catch per reception. It was as a runner where he did most of his damage however, forcing 21 missed tackles from 108 carries on his way to a 532-yard rookie season. Adding to this, he averaged 3.48 yards after contact per carry, with all of this combing to give him an Elusive Rating of 75.7 — the third-best mark among all running backs.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...lusive-rating/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Wow did you even watch CJ Spiller this year? The only reason he didn't start is their coach who by the way got fired. Anytime Spiller touched the ball, he was making big things happen.

From PFF

Also...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...lusive-rating/
    So Spiller's had half a season of great play?

Terrific.

I guess that negates the fact that Ray Rice has done it for 8 times as long.

BTW, I noticed even in the link provided, they concede that Rice is the better player than Pierce. Funny. How that's kinda my whole point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    So Spiller's had half a season of great play?

Terrific.

I guess that negates the fact that Ray Rice has done it for 8 times as long.

BTW, I noticed even in the link provided, they concede that Rice is the better player than Pierce. Funny. How that's kinda my whole point.
    Nowhere in my post did I say CJ Spiller was better than Rice. Don't attack me. Just putting the facts out there that Spiller has had an amazing year even when he didn't get as many touches as he should.

Blog Entries

The Packers won all those SBs and world titles because they had interchangeable parts - two of the best RBs in Jim Taylor
    and Paul HOrning. When they went down Elijah Pitts came in. There was no beating them. Hell, Shula never beat them but
    Weeb had the most success in the early 60s before he was fired. Even when Bart Starr went down, backup Zeke
    Bratkowski always came in and beat us.

Ozzie built the Ravens with the same interchangeable parts with Rice and Pierce and even Anthony Allen backing them
    up.

That's the way you build SB teams, not with just one part. It's the sum of all parts with one complimenting the other.
    Just go back and read Will MOntgomery's quotes.

I'm going to have to agree with those that think it's laughable that Pierce is a better overall player then Ray Rice at this moment in time.

Pure Runner?? that might have some merit, but that isn't Rice's strength, but it's the rest of his game where there are few if any RB's in history that rival Ray Rice's non-handoff game.(Marshall Faulk is the only obvious one).

Blog Entries
    Great to have Pierce here instead of a end of career backup. Hope he wins MVP

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!