Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: High Praise for Bernard Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Putting Rice and Pierce on the field at the same time would allow exactly what you're describing.
    I agree. Maybe that could be a wrinkle the offense throws out Sunday?

Pierce has been outstanding as of late, but let's not get carried away. Raves Offense runs (no pun intended) through Ray Rice. He'll need ~20 touches for the Ravens to bring this Lombardi back to B-More. RR getting his carries will open up that passing game and let Flacco be Flacco.

However, I can see this SB with Rice/Pierce playing out like the Colts/Bears SB a few years back - where for the Colts, Dominic Roads (sp?) out gained Joseph Addai on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    From PFF: Ray Rice forced 42 missed tackles this year (inc playoffs). On 243 fewer touches Bernard Pierce has forced 33
    I think that Pierce is the better RB period. He will also be a good receiver given the opportunity. Pierce is stronger, more patient,and has a more deceptive running style. He exlodes a little faster through the hole. I wouldnt be SHOCKED to see Rice traded at some point in the future. Love to see both in the backfeild at the sametime, maybe in the SB!!! Pierce's vision and patience is great. He sees a hole and hits it hard, he doesnt see one he waits a split second with good footwork. HE WAS TEMPLE'S OFFENSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambla View Post
    I'm not sure what's changed with Rice but it just seems like holes are bigger when Pierce is in there. He takes the carry and he's off and it's like he just strides through to the next level. Even though Pierce is more of a pure/power runner Rice is money on the goal line. He rarely has a run for a loss and I think with all that meat on the goal line you don't know where he's going to cross at (look no further than his run in the AFCCG).

Its instinct and patience. Cant be taught. Thats why the holes look bigger. He bolts when he sees it, and waits for one to open with a move to create one.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    I think that Pierce is the better RB period. He will also be a good receiver given the opportunity. Pierce is stronger, more patient,and has a more deceptive running style. He exlodes a little faster through the hole. I wouldnt be SHOCKED to see Rice traded at some point in the future. Love to see both in the backfeild at the sametime, maybe in the SB!!! Pierce's vision and patience is great. He sees a hole and hits it hard, he doesnt see one he waits a split second with good footwork. HE WAS TEMPLE'S OFFENSE.
    Ozzie said if Pierce went back to Temple for one more year, he would have been drafted in the 1st round in next years draft.

That's pretty high praise and great value for a 3rd RD RB. Nicely done by the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by MD Boy View Post
    Ozzie said if Pierce went back to Temple for one more year, he would have been drafted in the 1st round in next years draft.

That's pretty high praise and great value for a 3rd RD RB. Nicely done by the Ravens.
    Sounds about right.

Pierce will extend Ray Rice's shelf life. The pairing reminds me somewhat of LaDanian Tomlinson and Micheal Turner in S.D only Rice is more solidly in his prime than LT was when Turner arrived.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    I'm sorry but that is wildly premature. Like insanely so.

Over the last 4 years Rice has been one of the 2-3 best backs in the NFL. Pierce has a lot of promise but he's a long way from ever reproducing that kind of performance.

It's easy to look good when you can handle the ball 10 times a game and the defense isn't keying on you. It's a whole nother story to carry the offense on your back as Rice has done for years here.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    I'm sorry but that is wildly premature. Like insanely so.

Over the last 4 years Rice has been one of the 2-3 best backs in the NFL. Pierce has a lot of promise but he's a long way from ever reproducing that kind of performance.

It's easy to look good when you can handle the ball 10 times a game and the defense isn't keying on you. It's a whole nother story to carry the offense on your back as Rice has done for years here.
    Excellent point. I do think though that Pierce can be an effective starter should Rice suffer an injury. His greatest value though is that if used properly he will insure that the Ravens get the maximum value from the money the Ravens invested in Rice over the term of his contract
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

I'm very confident that Pierce could run the ball 20-25 times and be very effective. I'm not dogging Rice at all. It's just that Pierce is that talented. Just watching how great his vision is to find holes and how quick and powerful he is. He's very hard to tackle. The Ravens are in very good shape at RB for the next few years.

I'm very confident that Pierce could run the ball 20-25 times and be very effective. I'm not dogging Rice at all. It's just that Pierce is that talented. Just watching how great his vision is to find holes and how quick and powerful he is. He's very hard to tackle. The Ravens are in very good shape at RB for the next few years.
    This is why I laugh at Browns and Bengal fans who predict the imminent demise of the post Lewis/Reed Ravens. We pretty much have QB and RB covered and in today's NFL if you have playmakers at those positions and your GM is competent (which we all know ours is) enough to build around that, your in a good position to be a winning team.
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

And I'm not dogging Pierce. The kid is talented.

But to say he's a better back than Rice is, like I said, borderline insane.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    This is why I laugh at Browns and Bengal fans who predict the imminent demise of the post Lewis/Reed Ravens. We pretty much have QB and RB covered and in today's NFL if you have playmakers at those positions and your GM is competent (which we all know ours is) enough to build around that, your in a good position to be a winning team.
    Yep. It's pretty funny. We got the pieces you need to be successful in place. The rest are interchangeable.

And I'm not dogging Pierce. The kid is talented.

But to say he's a better back than Rice is, like I said, borderline insane.
    Yeah, I agree. It's premature to make that call. I'm glad we got both. It makes it tough on the D.