Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
Trying to say that because Rice is only very good as a pure runner instead of great, without acknowledging that he is great as a receiver is totally missing the point.

In his 4 years as a starter Rice has amassed 7500 yards from scrimmage, including 2 seasons of over 2000 yards from scrimmage. That's absurd. No one not named Marshall Faulk has ever accomplished that feat twice in their careers and Ray is only entering his prime years. He's also never had a season where he amassed less than 100 yards from scrimmage per start. I don't think I could find another back with the kind of production NOT in the Hall of Fame if I tried.

Yes, there are guys who are better as pure runners. But playing halfback is not just about what you do after the handoff, it's about production and few players can hold a candle to Ray's.

The idea that you can swap 2 backs in and out to do two completely different things and not have defenses notice and key on defending those things is equally ludicrous.
Because of use, and a checkdown passing attack basically. Also a 16 game schedule, not a 14 or 12 game schedule. I think Rice is "good" back, not "elite".
In the Ravens history they have had a good RB since 2000 every year, no matter who carries the ball. Only Jamals 2000 yard season with an 8 man box front stands out. Rice is good, but not Canton bound by any means. Pierce is a "better" runner/ his pass catching abilities are YTD. Peirce might be a "great" or good receiving back, he hasnt been used in that capacity yet so we dont know. It's like basketball teams, someone is going to average 15-20 points a game on a bad team, doesnt mean he is a "elite" player. Points like yards are going to happen when given opportunities. Peirce, IMO has better RB skills. Just my opinion, only based on what I've observed. Rice is used exactly like Lydell was if you are old enough to remember. Rice is quality, no doubt.