Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: High Praise for Bernard Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    I'm surprised we haven't seen that a few times. I'm sure no one would be prepared for that.
    Not sure it would work--the question is whether the deceptive aspects would outweigh the humongous relief of DBs who can come up to stuff the run without risking disappearing beneath the treads of the VL-44 heavy tank...

Rice had a down year compared to 2 years ago, but he still had decent year. As was said above, 2 RB's that can play is a great problem to have.

Blog Entries

From PFF: Ray Rice forced 42 missed tackles this year (inc playoffs). On 243 fewer touches Bernard Pierce has forced 33

4. Re: High Praise for Bernard Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    And SF cut Brandon Jacobs this year, who absolutely killed us.....I bet Harbaugh wishes he had Brandon now. :)
    In November 2008

Blog Entries

I've said it before and I will say it again. Ray Rice should be used as an extension of Joe Flacco in the passing offense, much like Marshal Faulk was used as an extension of Kurt Warner. Let Pierce be your power back.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    From PFF: Ray Rice forced 42 missed tackles this year (inc playoffs). On 243 fewer touches Bernard Pierce has forced 33
    Rice makes guys miss in the open field. Pierce seems to do a lot of that at the line. Both are good, but I like Rice in the passing game and Pierce in the run game this week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I've said it before and I will say it again. Ray Rice should be used as an extension of Joe Flacco in the passing offense, much like Marshal Faulk was used as an extension of Kurt Warner. Let Pierce be your power back.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Rice makes guys miss in the open field. Pierce seems to do a lot of that at the line. Both are good, but I like Rice in the passing game and Pierce in the run game this week.
    Agree with both posts. It doesn't play to Rice's strengths to lineup in I form and run dive plays. You put Rice next to Joe in shotgun and get the ball to Rice in space much like what Warner did with Faulk. I'm not saying Rice can't have success running in a 2 back set, but he's definitely been better in a 1 back set. If you wanna go power, put in Pierce.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    I love Pierce, and his play really makes me wish we didn't back the Brinks truck up to sign Rice. I think Rice is an awesome person, but just not a great power runner. He is great in open space, but is he millions of dollars better than Pierce? The RB position is much easier to plug and play with in today's NFL.
    It's the good thing we have both. We wouldn't be where we are w/o Rice. Before the POs teams keyed on stopping
    Rice, not Joe. That opened outside routes for Joe to Boldin in the POs.

I love PIerce too. He's been great back up and we'll have the best 1-2 RB punch in the game for years to come.

Also, as far as not paying Rice, we let Priest HOlmes go because we couldn't afford him and Jamal. Ravens kept
    Jamal who promptly led us to SB but Priest signed with KC where he became the greatest runner in NFL after
    Dick Vermeil changed the blocking schemes to accommodate his slashing style of running which is similar to Rice's.

I would hate to see same thing happen again by letting either Rice or Pierce go.

Simply put - NO RICE = NO SUPER BOWL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Putting Rice and Pierce on the field at the same time would allow exactly what you're describing.
    Is either one any good as a lead blocker?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Agree with both posts. It doesn't play to Rice's strengths to lineup in I form and run dive plays. You put Rice next to Joe in shotgun and get the ball to Rice in space much like what Warner did with Faulk. I'm not saying Rice can't have success running in a 2 back set, but he's definitely been better in a 1 back set. If you wanna go power, put in Pierce.
    I agree, sort of. Rice isn't terrible between the tackles. He's had some big runs and solid gains shoving it up the gut.

But he's even better being used similarly to Faulk with the Rams or Thurman Thomas with the Bills in their heyday.

I'm not sure what's changed with Rice but it just seems like holes are bigger when Pierce is in there. He takes the carry and he's off and it's like he just strides through to the next level. Even though Pierce is more of a pure/power runner Rice is money on the goal line. He rarely has a run for a loss and I think with all that meat on the goal line you don't know where he's going to cross at (look no further than his run in the AFCCG).

Blog Entries

Rice's TD run up the middle in Denver with Leach knocking his man out to spring Rice in was a thing of
    beauty. Denver couldn't even see Rice til it was too late and don't forget his receiving. He's a dangerous
    weapon catching the ball as we have seen in the play offs.