Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

High Praise for Bernard Pierce

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...omery/1882631/

A little bit of a reach with the headline but Wilbert Montgomery is the man. This dude was on the field at the combine and picked out Pierce from the group and then Ozzie has enough faith to trade a couple picks to move up and grab him. Looking forward to an extend role for Pierce in the future.

Re: High Praise for Bernard Pierce

The YPC difference between Ray and Pierce this year is making it obvious that Pierce needs more touches. He could be the X factor for the game. I love Ray Rice and he's been a reliable and durable back, but Pierce has more upside running the ball. Ray would be better utilized as a third down back like LaDanianian Tomlinson. The difference is Tomlinson is making 1.1 million and Ray has a huge CAP hit. Ray has a big contract through 2017, it should be interesting to see if Pierce elevates his play clearly above Ray, how the team handles it.

And SF cut Brandon Jacobs this year, who absolutely killed us.....I bet Harbaugh wishes he had Brandon now. :)
    Way Down South in New Orleans

4. Re: High Praise for Bernard Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    And SF cut Brandon Jacobs this year, who absolutely killed us.....I bet Harbaugh wishes he had Brandon now. :)
    In November 2008

Blog Entries

I've said it before and I will say it again. Ray Rice should be used as an extension of Joe Flacco in the passing offense, much like Marshal Faulk was used as an extension of Kurt Warner. Let Pierce be your power back.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I love Pierce, and his play really makes me wish we didn't back the Brinks truck up to sign Rice. I think Rice is an awesome person, but just not a great power runner. He is great in open space, but is he millions of dollars better than Pierce? The RB position is much easier to plug and play with in today's NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    I love Pierce, and his play really makes me wish we didn't back the Brinks truck up to sign Rice. I think Rice is an awesome person, but just not a great power runner. He is great in open space, but is he millions of dollars better than Pierce? The RB position is much easier to plug and play with in today's NFL.
    I love pierce too I've been watching all through college where he was a workhorse back like rice was for Rutgers. Pierce was the offense. Qb play was awful

That said you need two backs in the NFL and at least his contract is front loaded. But pierce should, pending durability, cut into Rice's carries going into next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conviction View Post
    I love pierce too I've been watching all through college where he was a workhorse back like rice was for Rutgers. Pierce was the offense. Qb play was awful

That said you need two backs in the NFL and at least his contract is front loaded. But pierce should, pending durability, cut into Rice's carries going into next year.
    I watched a Temple game this year where their kicker just replaced Peirce as the schools all-time leading scorer.

We CANNOT fault the front office for locking up Rice long term. He is a top five running back in the NFL, and is a major focal point of our offense. Moreover, just because we traded up in the third round to snag Pierce does not mean the front office and coaches should have realized he'd be this good this quickly. Now having said all that, the next two seasons will be interesting to see how they handle BP moving forward. He HAS to see the field...a lot. Dude is a beast that runs just like Foster and AP: smooth and violent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    It's the good thing we have both. We wouldn't be where we are w/o Rice. Before the POs teams keyed on stopping
    Rice, not Joe. That opened outside routes for Joe to Boldin in the POs.

I love PIerce too. He's been great back up and we'll have the best 1-2 RB punch in the game for years to come.

Also, as far as not paying Rice, we let Priest HOlmes go because we couldn't afford him and Jamal. Ravens kept
    Jamal who promptly led us to SB but Priest signed with KC where he became the greatest runner in NFL after
    Dick Vermeil changed the blocking schemes to accommodate his slashing style of running which is similar to Rice's.

I would hate to see same thing happen again by letting either Rice or Pierce go.

Simply put - NO RICE = NO SUPER BOWL.

This is a great problem to have. We can worry about it later if ever Ray's performance to cost ratio starts to invert.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Lol. Tell me the nine other running backs who have been more productive than Ray since he entered the league.

Hell, tell me the five.

Rice is an elite talent. I can't believe this is even a discussion.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron