Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    ESPN about to report on Culliver ...

Re: What is really with the national angst about the Ravens/Baltimore? (long)

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/ni...-49ers/page28/

Perspective must be everything. 9ers forum wuth an insane amount of posts on how they are disrespected.
    That's what I'm saying...its ALL about perspective.

The media does not play any favorites when it comes to what they report.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I've never met such a group of people who were so eager to talk about how badly they were disrespected as Raven fans on this message board. Get over it, guys and gals.

Where does this perpetual inferiority complex originate? I just don't get it. I lived in Baltimore for 8 years and, one of the observations I made while I was there was that there was a high proportion of Baltimore residents that were so focused on defending every little aspect of their city that it consumed them.

Does what some columnist from the Sacramento Bee says about the Ravens really matter? Does Amani Toomer insulting the Ravens and Ray Lewis over and over really make or break your day? If so, then I'd suggest you care a little too much about your own personal pride that you derive by osmosis from being a Raven fan.....and too little about the actual matter at hand...a football game.

It's just sad because so many people whining about disrespect from the media are missing out on a rare chance to enjoy something special. If you are turning on Sports Center to hear what Marcellus Wiley says about Ray Lewis, you are missing the beauty of the moment.

Who knows when our next Super Bowl will be. On average, it happens once every 16 years. Lordwilling, I'll be 50 in 16 years. There are a lot of 60 and 70-year-olds in Cleveland and Kansas City and Minnesota and in New York Jets gear that were 34 the last time their team was in a Super Bowl. Think they wouldn't give anything to be in the position we are in for the next 3-4 days? Do you think when they saw their team play for a championship 35-45 years ago, they were thinking it was the last time they'd ever witness it?

Personally, I'd feel awful if I spent the week of buildup to the biggest football game of my life mired in a pity party of perceived disrespect.

At the end of the day on Sunday, we will either feel awful or great. If we win and your focus is sticking it to everyone who has disrespected us, then I feel sorry for you. If we lose, then I will hate to see some of your reactions.

This is a great event in our lives. It's an event we've been agonizingly close to playing in on a handful of occasions. It's an event that many of us have waited for for a decade now. Shame on you if you can't take your eyes off of PFT and ESPN and just enjoy the build up. The anticipation for games like this is why we are sports fans in the first place. Don't let the internet age of half-assed journalism deter you from that simple, yet crucial fact.

That is all. I love you guys and let's kick some arse on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Personally, I'd feel awful if I spent the week of buildup to the biggest football game of my life mired in a pity party of perceived disrespect.
    Amen. This is our Mardi Gras. Laissez les bons temps rouler.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    This statement...

Is not based on any facts whatsoever.
    Not the statement I was referencing, and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    A ton of fair and positive questions being asked to Ray Lewis during his presser right now ....
    Florio does not like the ravens. Plain and simple.
    He's a steelerrs guy. Grew up in WV. It's understandable.

Couple that with his need for ratings/clicks since NBC purchased his website, he's just piling on to boost his numbers. He always writes stories specifically slanted toward his comments section. If thats what the nation wants during Super Bowl week, He'll give it to them.

As for Amani Toomer's talk about Ray, of course he hates Ray.

HE HAS AN AGENDA TOO!

He talked about the same exact thing on last weeks Sirius Opening Drive morning show.
    He actually said he was still pissed about losing to the ravens in the 2001 SB. He said he was ticked because he doesn;t believe the ravens defense could have stopped the Giants offense if they had run right at Ray Lewis, but Jim Fassel changed the gameplan that gave them success throughout their regular season and that got them to the SB. He said he's sick of having to hear the ravens defense be talked about as one of the best of all time.

Well said, Luke

Blog Entries

I've never met such a group of people who were so eager to talk about how badly they were disrespected as Raven fans on this message board. Get over it, guys and gals.

Where does this perpetual inferiority complex originate? I just don't get it. I lived in Baltimore for 8 years and, one of the observations I made while I was there was that there was a high proportion of Baltimore residents that were so focused on defending every little aspect of their city that it consumed them.

Does what some columnist from the Sacramento Bee says about the Ravens really matter? Does Amani Toomer insulting the Ravens and Ray Lewis over and over really make or break your day? If so, then I'd suggest you care a little too much about your own personal pride that you derive by osmosis from being a Raven fan.....and too little about the actual matter at hand...a football game.

It's just sad because so many people whining about disrespect from the media are missing out on a rare chance to enjoy something special. If you are turning on Sports Center to hear what Marcellus Wiley says about Ray Lewis, you are missing the beauty of the moment.

Who knows when our next Super Bowl will be. On average, it happens once every 16 years. Lordwilling, I'll be 50 in 16 years. There are a lot of 60 and 70-year-olds in Cleveland and Kansas City and Minnesota and in New York Jets gear that were 34 the last time their team was in a Super Bowl. Think they wouldn't give anything to be in the position we are in for the next 3-4 days? Do you think when they saw their team play for a championship 35-45 years ago, they were thinking it was the last time they'd ever witness it?

At the end of the day on Sunday, we will either feel awful or great. If we win and your focus is sticking it to everyone who has disrespected us, then I feel sorry for you. If we lose, then I will hate to see some of your reactions.

This is a great event in our lives. It's an event we've been agonizingly close to playing in on a handful of occasions. It's an event that many of us have waited for for a decade now. Shame on you if you can't take your eyes off of PFT and ESPN and just enjoy the build up. The anticipation for games like this is why we are sports fans in the first place. Don't let the internet age of half-assed journalism deter you from that simple, yet crucial fact.

:word

It's difficult but I am slowly stopping to read all the BS opinion and comments on opinion pieces. Opinion's are like assholes...

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    Florio does not like the ravens. Plain and simple.
    He's a steelerrs guy. Grew up in WV. It's understandable.
    Yet it was Florio who broke the Big Ben rape story when other outlets sat on it.

I don't know if he's a Steeler fan or not. But if he is, he's shown first hand he doesn't have a bias.

Absolutely,

I realized early in the week that all the negative press coming out was striping me of the enjoyment of seeing my favorite team in the big game, I promised myself then that I wouldn't look back on this time and regret not enjoying every minute of it.

Because of the extra coverage we've managed to get great articles on Ed, Caldwell, Joe and a lot of other guys that without the Super Bowl coverage we'd never get so I've been enjoying reading those instead.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

By the way, Florio is a Vikings fan ....

http://wvrecord.com/news/219717-west...-goes-big-time

From what I've experienced in my career, breaking a story and writing bias are not connected.

Sorry this topic is near and dear to me.

Despite all my regular typos (fat fingers), I wrote for the WAPO for 7 years. Every person in a news outlet has bias and writes with it. But the better journalists try to ask questions or address issues in stories that come from many Points of View. If you don't do that you're not likely a reporter, you're a columnist or blogger.

On that line of thought, the boss-man pays you more to break news than stick to your loyalties. And often lost in the shuffle is that there are usually 3 editors that have thier hand in a story that REAL journalist write to avoid perceived biases and ensure many viewpoints are given/addressed.

Problems arise when a Quasi-news outlet like PFT, that started as a blog, and really still is one person's opinion with little to no edits, tries to pass itself off like an unbiased news source (and by breaking news).

Lots of these problems have been exacerbated by the changing landscape of journalism. Newsrooms are downsizing. "News" isn't cool any more. Social media, twittering and blogs are. Reporters are now asked to be reporters, columnists and bloggers. Those three things don't mix and the line of "reporter" gets further blurred.

Phew.

Ok, I'm done.

Sorry about all that.
    Last edited by bensmotorcyclehelmt; 01-31-2013 at 01:57 PM.