Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

What is really with the national angst about the Ravens/Baltimore? (long)

I used to post over on the Sun once in a blue moon. Nothing's going on there anymore, and I came across this site.....glad I did.

Anyway --OK, I have tried to sit quiet and not be phased by all the anti Raven/Baltimore crap being spewed by the national media. I've consistently tried to not buy into that whole "the media/nation has it out for Baltimore" talk. But this week has really crystalized things --enough is enough.

Joe gets crucified for using the word "retarded", even after apologizing right afterwards. People all but trying to put Ed in a Pats or Colts jersey -- anywhere but Baltimore --before the season is even officially over. People again bringing up Art and imploring TPTB not to enshrine him in Canton. I won't even get into the whole Ray witchhunt, it's so ridiculous. But now you have a 49er making anti-gay comments (and he plays in SF no less!) and it barely registers on the national land scape. I wonder if that was a Raven that said it would it be the 1st story on the front page of ESPN and its lead story on Sports Center.

Seriously what gives with the Baltimore rage? It's been this way for as long as I can remember. I'm not that old, but it still seems that way. The Ravens are hated nationally because (among other reasons) we "stole" Cleveland's team...after all these years no less. Get over it already. The Orioles are disliked because (again among other reasons) allegedly they tried to keep a team out of DC for all those years. Double standard anyone?! So we shouldn't have a football team but yet we shouldn't deny another city a baseball team? WTF?

It was bad enough when I was living/going to school near Indy that I had to constantly hear about my "stolen" team of "thugs" and cracks about the city on top of that. Never mind the irony that this was coming from Colt fans. Oh but that's right --the Colts weren't stolen. Mercifully I am back home now but unfortunately that doesn't make me or us immune to the continual national potshots and slander of our team(s) and town.

I don't understand it. It always seems that when the Ravens and Orioles are good they are generally ignored/minimized. But when they are noncompetitive/bad they always seem to be the "other" team that is being styled against on the highlights. Or just made fun of altogether. And yet when they do so well and are one of the few teams still standing (like this past season) where people are forced to discuss them it always has to have this disdainful, negative edge to it. Seriously.....what is America's problem with our fair city and teams?

I mean, shoot --I thought at worst this week we'd be inundated with sibling rivalry stories until we were bored and sick to death of both John and Jim and Jack and the rest of them. Never anticipated a steady stream of conjecture and intrigue and all out tabloid-type BS (almost exclusively focused on the AFC champ).

Sunday can't get here fast enough.

Blog Entries

Re: What is really with the national angst about the Ravens/Baltimore? (long)

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    I used to post over on the Sun once in a blue moon. Nothing's going on there anymore, and I came across this site.....glad I did.

Anyway --OK, I have tried to sit quiet and not be phased by all the anti Raven/Baltimore crap being spewed by the national media. I've consistently tried to not buy into that whole "the media/nation has it out for Baltimore" talk. But this week has really crystalized things --enough is enough.

Joe gets crucified for using the word "retarded", even after apologizing right afterwards. People all but trying to put Ed in a Pats or Colts jersey -- anywhere but Baltimore --before the season is even officially over. People again bringing up Art and imploring TPTB not to enshrine him in Canton. I won't even get into the whole Ray witchhunt, it's so ridiculous. But now you have a 49er making anti-gay comments (and he plays in SF no less!) and it barely registers on the national land scape. I wonder if that was a Raven that said it would it be the 1st story on the front page of ESPN and its lead story on Sports Center.

Seriously what gives with the Baltimore rage? It's been this way for as long as I can remember. I'm not that old, but it still seems that way. The Ravens are hated nationally because (among other reasons) we "stole" Cleveland's team...after all these years no less. Get over it already. The Orioles are disliked because (again among other reasons) allegedly they tried to keep a team out of DC for all those years. Double standard anyone?! So we shouldn't have a football team but yet we shouldn't deny another city a baseball team? WTF?

It was bad enough when I was living/going to school near Indy that I had to constantly hear about my "stolen" team of "thugs" and cracks about the city on top of that. Never mind the irony that this was coming from Colt fans. Oh but that's right --the Colts weren't stolen. Mercifully I am back home now but unfortunately that doesn't make me or us immune to the continual national potshots and slander of our team(s) and town.

I don't understand it. It always seems that when the Ravens and Orioles are good they are generally ignored/minimized. But when they are noncompetitive/bad they always seem to be the "other" team that is being styled against on the highlights. Or just made fun of altogether. And yet when they do so well and are one of the few teams still standing (like this past season) where people are forced to discuss them it always has to have this disdainful, negative edge to it. Seriously.....what is America's problem with our fair city and teams?

I mean, shoot --I thought at worst this week we'd be inundated with sibling rivalry stories until we were bored and sick to death of both John and Jim and Jack and the rest of them. Never anticipated a steady stream of conjecture and intrigue and all out tabloid-type BS (almost exclusively focused on the AFC champ).

Sunday can't get here fast enough.
    Welcome aboard. As for Baltimore being disliked nationally or by the media, it is a badge of honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Welcome aboard. As for Baltimore being disliked nationally or by the media, it is a badge of honor.
    Damn right.

I grew up in Southern Maryland. As a Southern Marylander, I had an open choice as to which city I would identify as being "my city": Washington, DC, internationally reknown as the national capital of the United States, or seemingly provincial, blue collar Baltimore.

I chose Baltimore. She'll always be my city, warts and all.

1) Joe deserves some criticism for his poor choice of words. It will blow over.
    2) The only people who don't want Modell in the HOF are from Cleveland and it will never stop. I hope they put Ogden and Modell in this year so all the Cleveland people will boycott and we can go in peace.
    3) For everybody but us and SF, the season is over and they are looking to the draft. Hometown reporters want to know if they can get a future hall of famer. I don't think its a disrepect toward Baltimore thing. Ed could have just said " I am a Raven now and I have to be in the Superbowl on Sunday."
    4) The Ray Lewis thing can be discussed elsewhere on this board.

The Ravens are not well liked. We have ended the seasons of a lot of teams who thought they were going to be where we are. When a lot of teams come to play the Ravens they think they are ready to take the next step, we beat them and they are left wondering what went wrong.

Mostly with the National Media, I think its about never admitting that you were wrong. They made predictions that Joe Flacco wasn't good enough to get to the Superbowl. Wrong. They said that Cincinnati would be the best team in the division. Wrong. They said Andrew Luck could come into Baltimore and beat a team that went 1-4 down the stretch. Wrong. They said the Ravens had no chance in Denver. Wrong. They said the Ravens would lose to Tom Brady. Wrong. And now a lot of people are saying Jim is the better coach and that the Ravens are too old to keep up with Kaepernick. Are they wrong? We shall see on Sunday but it is the last chance for the Ravens to lose and then those "haters" can go on the air and say "see, I told you all along." The only other alternative is for a lot of people who get paid to be experts to say "I was wrong".

Personally though, I reccomend enjoying it. I like our team being thought of as the bad guys. Being hated is way better than being ignored.

I get why fans are upset with the media. Yes, some of the media have an obvious anti-Baltimore slant.

But I can just as easily find pro-Bmore news as well. Heck, the much hated Florio is picking the Ravens to win.

So no, I don't think the media as a whole is against Baltimore. It's also important to separate the opinion pieces from the actual journalism. The talking heads are dominating the news right now so it's hard to find actual news right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    But now you have a 49er making anti-gay comments (and he plays in SF no less!) and it barely registers on the national land scape.
    Flacco is a name. Culliver is a nobody. Still, alleging that it "barely registers" is more a reflection of the "us against the world" attitude than it is about reality.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-to-thank-him/

Here's another example of the Baltimore hate.

Obviously Ray is talking about Baltimroe fans saying goodbye, not the national audience "thanking him." yet its spun to generate more hate for Ray and Baltimore.
    It's getting out of control. Profootballtalk has done it for years but look at many other internet sites. Big ones. Just about every Yahoo news headline is a fabricated one that has absolutely nothing to do with the story below it. It's sensationalized to make peopel click.

It's the time we live in.

However I was even more disappointed yesterday.

Most of the national media is predicing a 49ers win, and it's leaning toward a 49ers blowout.
    "Kaepernick is unstoppable," "Too many weapons for the old ravens defense" etc etc.

Listening to Sirius Satelite radio and the giddiness that Pat Kerwin and Tim Ryan spewed about the ravens and ray was extremely disappointing. THeuy are usually pretty even haded, even when making picks.

I understand that they were interviweiwng an ex 49er, and Tim Ryan is boys with the 49ers ownership, but comments and the good ole boy laughing with Jerry Rice that "Well Ray cant' hit what he can't catch! Bwahahaha!" and a few other comments were disappointing. I expected more from him.

If definately the Ravens vs. the world now...

Blog Entries

notice too, the Flacco comments basically blew over because of Ray's story. Apart from a few haters, no one even mentions it.

The 49ers comments will probably blow over too.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Some team has to wear the black hat. Looks like that's the job of the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-to-thank-him/

Here's another example of the Baltimore hate.

Obviously Ray is talking about Baltimroe fans saying goodbye, not the national audience "thanking him." yet its spun to generate more hate for Ray and Baltimore.
    It's getting out of control. Profootballtalk has done it for years but look at many other internet sites. Big ones. Just about every Yahoo news headline is a fabricated one that has absolutely nothing to do with the story below it. It's sensationalized to make peopel click.

It's the time we live in.

However I was even more disappointed yesterday.
    Listening to Sirius Satelite radio and the giddiness that Pat Kerwin and Tim Ryan spewed about the ravens and ray was extremely disappointing.
    I understand that they were interviweiwng an ex 49er, and Tim Ryan is boys with the 49ers ownership, but comments laughing with Jerry Rice that "Well Ray cant' hit what he can't catch!" and a few others was disappointing. I expected more from him.
    PFT just seems to have a lot of "skeptical" articles about Baltimore, making it seem like the Ravens have some sort of agenda with everything. Yeah, Ray Lewis' reunion tour thing IS a bit over the top, along with the religious stuff. There was an article about the PED stuff being "a trick of the devil". Ray did say that, but they took it a little out of context. And mostly, what they are reporting is true...but it's got hints of subjectivity in it. There's not many articles on there in the last few days that paint us in an extremely positive light.

Meanwhile, the 49ers "had a perfect practice".

I would've disagreed a few days ago, but in the past 24-36 hours, I'm starting to see it
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

I think you're taking it a little too seriously.
    Joe gets crucified for using the word "retarded", even after apologizing right afterwards.
    for example this.

I hardly heard anything about it and I've been all over the sports news this week. People don't like Ray Lewis for various reasons and that's the main culprit. I just say haters are gonna hate.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!