Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: What is really with the national angst about the Ravens/Baltimore? (long)

Well if it means anything the SF Gay comment topped Drudge Report for several hours yesterday and is still floating near the top. Flacco wasn't mentioned there and Ray's story fell quickly.

Simply put, media types tend to flow in the direction of the largest audience (I know - I work in TV). San Fran is a larger West Coast city with a larger national following, and a nicer national image. Baltimore is known for "That evil Ray Lewis", "Stealing the Browns" and The Wire.

Take the opportunity to relish in their defeat, if / when it occurs. Also with Ray's retirement, the lightning rod that is his history and public persona will step away from the Ravens, and those who wish to hate will find it harder to do so.

Front page of CBSSports.com, a very pro Ravens piece about how the younger players have helped propel the Ravens defense this season.

Even Pete Prisco has a complimentary piece on the Ravens.

And, as someone has linked to in a previous thread, Ravens are front page on the New York Times with an excellent piece on Bisciotti.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Besides the Ray Lewis stuff, and Joe Flacco, what other "negative" stuff is there?

The 49ers don't have a player who admitted to dealing with shady, moron who peddles supplements that at least are advertised as containing illegal substances. If they did, you can bet it would be out there and it would be an ongoing story.

And Cullivers comments are on NFL.com and ESPN.com's front page right now, and they were front and center last night.

The Ed Reed story is not "negative", the Art Modell HOF stuff is not "negative".

Everybody is not picking against us.
    I think you stumbled onto something...

It's really just Ray Lewis.

Look at the articles in last 24 hours..."Ray Lewis announced retirement so you could thank him", "Ray Lewis: PED accusation is a trick of the devil", "Amani Toomer unloads on Ray Lewis"

Basically, the media has leveled itself at Ray Lewis.

The problem (? if you think it may be one), is that nothing else on the team is generating much news.

This may actually be a good thing. They are just PISSING him off to no end. And the team knows what this run is about. They are doing this for themselves yes, but in a large way, they want to send Ray off well. And this is going to resonate with them.

The media wants to piss on Ray Lewis' Cheerios. They want to knock him down a peg. Maybe or maybe not he deserves it with the things he says. But the team doesn't like it, I've seen that on twitter. KO posted on twitter...

Kelechi K Osemele ‏@KOsevendeuce
    It saddens me that people judge a man's character based on rumors and inaccurate information. Ray is one of the greatest men I've ever met.
    The team is going to use this as fuel.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    So there should be a fairness quota?!

All of the stories thus far should have been reported on and have been. Rays stuff, Joe using the R word, the Niners CB gay comments all deserved to be reported on.

And on every topic, you can google good and bad articles on both teams.

There's a link to a bad Niners article on the boards right now about how their fans are violent animals.
    Come on, I am not saying there should be a fairness quota. I think there should be an accuracy quota, but that's another topic.

When I say negative, I am talking about the PFT, Forbes article saying Ray is guilty because Lance Armstrong denied PED's and Barry Bonds found the fountain of youth late in his career, so that means Ray likely used goat horn spray to recover from a torn triceps.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Besides the Ray Lewis stuff, and Joe Flacco, what other "negative" stuff is there?

The 49ers don't have a player who admitted to dealing with shady, moron who peddles supplements that at least are advertised as containing illegal substances. If they did, you can bet it would be out there and it would be an ongoing story.

And Cullivers comments are on NFL.com and ESPN.com's front page right now, and they were front and center last night.

The Ed Reed story is not "negative", the Art Modell HOF stuff is not "negative".

Everybody is not picking against us.
    I didn't say people were "picking on us".. I said there are more negative stories on us than the 9er's.

It may be a majority of PFT like carp, but it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Not only was the Culliver story one of the top links yesterday, his apology is the top link right now.

I'm glad the players are chill about all this stuff, because a lot of people here have gone off the deep end.
    Right, one of the top links, not thee top link. And his apology, is the second to top right now.

Scally, I just listed three pro Ravens pieces that have nothing to do with Ray Lewis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Scally, I just listed three pro Ravens pieces that have nothing to do with Ray Lewis.
    Yes, and I'm sure there are some talking heads who do like the Ravens...I didn't say "nobody likes the rest of the team" or "nobody is writing anything on anyone else"

the MAJORITY of the press are finding the negative stories on him and focusing there. I think we see it mainly on PFT, but it could really go for the whole offseason. Ashley Fox on ESPN. The Denver Post writers. The New England billboard.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Now Amani Toomer on the other hand?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rite/#comments

I think an argument could be made for him seeing as how he's been talking about Ray for a while now.

Blog Entries

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...in-second-half

There's another example of good things being written about the Ravens. by JH of all people!

Like I said, the rest of the team isn't really generating negative stuff. It's really people coming out at Ray Lewis and running with it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Yes, and I'm sure there are some talking heads who do like the Ravens...I didn't say "nobody likes the rest of the team" or "nobody is writing anything on anyone else"

the MAJORITY of the press are finding the negative stories on him and focusing there. I think we see it mainly on PFT, but it could really go for the whole offseason. Ashley Fox on ESPN. The Denver Post writers. The New England billboard.
    I think you're hitting the nail on the head here.

The majority is about Ray, there are other stories about the team and players, most positive. But the majority of the stories are on Ray and negative.

I feel as if not all the media but PFT is holding some sort of grudge against Ray Lewis. Each article, while I have no problem with them being posted, has been slanted in a a negative way and then they add an unnecessary opinion. I really feel like this is one of those cases where there working for clicks like a "Mediatakeout.com" so they mislead with headline and take quotes out of context.

I used to go there first for all of my football news but after this recent display I am searching for a one-stop website for all the National football news. Would the 24x7 group want to start something like that?

Blog Entries

So riddle me this...

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/0...n-49ers-ravens

Of the analysts here, 6 have picked the 49ers to win by a TD or more. 1 has picked the Ravens to win by a TD or more.

49ers bias?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Huh?

Ashley Fox is paid for her opinion. For every Ashley Fox, I can find another talking head that supports the Ravens.

The Denver Post did exactly what The Sun does in Bmore -- cheerleader for their home team.

And the billboard in NE was done by fans.

And my God this PFT nonsense is laughably silly. Florio "hates" on every team. The problem now is there's only two teams left.

It was Florio who broke the Big Ben rape story when ESPN et all refused to report on it.