Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: What is really with the national angst about the Ravens/Baltimore? (long)

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I get why fans are upset with the media. Yes, some of the media have an obvious anti-Baltimore slant.

But I can just as easily find pro-Bmore news as well. Heck, the much hated Florio is picking the Ravens to win.

So no, I don't think the media as a whole is against Baltimore. It's also important to separate the opinion pieces from the actual journalism. The talking heads are dominating the news right now so it's hard to find actual news right now.
    Totally agree.

This "media is out to get us" crap comes up way too often for my taste.

It's the freaking media...they sensationalize EVERYONE and EVERYTHING.

The kid who made the homophobic remarks for the 49ers is getting a TON of negative press and is currently getting grilled by a mass of media as we speak.

Other than Ray's deal, which whether so many people here like it or not, IS a big deal to fans and media around the world...it hasn't been slanted really at all IMHO.

Joe said something stupid. Other than some of the special olympics people saying their piece, it barely was a blip on the national radar. Cullivers remarks are getting much more publicity than Joe's.

Art is never getting in the HOF. This is nothing new. Its a topic EVERY YEAR for crying out loud...and it's a topic at this point every year because they are announcing the class Saturday.

As for Ed, come on...most of us have been saying Ed was likely to be a Patriot back in September. If Patrick Willis was an upcoming UFA, they would be asking him the same questions.

We are one of the only 2 remaining relevant NFL teams. There are going to be positive AND negative stories about both teams. Unfortunately, Ray's story is dominating everything and it's completely warped the opinions of the entirety of the media coverage...if this Ray story never came out, the only other negative story to come out of Baltimore is Joe's "retarded" comment...which was a story for like 15 minutes.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Baltimore isn't a glamourous city. It's a blue-collar town. So all the "elite" (yes, I went there) towns and the media "elites" that live there, look down upon us. Personally, I'm really starting to embrace the role of the "bad guy/villian". They don't like us, so what? They can all go F themselves. All I know is we've got the best fans (and the best TEAM) in the NFL and we are about to show THE WORLD we are.

Just do what I've done. Tune out all sports related media. I stopped watching ESPN a few years ago, outside an actual game being played. Stopped reading SI back in September. Get all my sports news from this site and a few other sites with no national bias.

Has made the week alot easier. Besides all this media BS, positive or negative, doesn't mean a damn thing. It's all about what happens on the field Sunday. Thats all I care about and thats all the team cares about.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    It's the freaking media...they sensationalize EVERYONE and EVERYTHING ... We are one of the only 2 remaining relevant NFL teams. There are going to be positive AND negative stories about both teams. Unfortunately, Ray's story is dominating everything and it's completely warped the opinions of the entirety of the media coverage...if this Ray story never came out, the only other negative story to come out of Baltimore is Joe's "retarded" comment...which was a story for like 15 minutes.
    Agreed.

Which then begs the larger question. If someone truly believes the media is this nasty, biased entity totally out to screw everything Ravens, why on Earth are so many fans seeking validation from them?

Sirdowski -- starting to look familiar to you yet?

Blog Entries

What I see as the difference is not how much negative stuff there is on Baltimore or the Ravens. It's how much there isn't on the 49er's.

Joe says "retarded" and it's the top link on ESPN's NFL page, Mike and Mike are talking about it etc. 49er's CB says in a very intelligent way... that he would not like gay men in the locker room, and next to nothing.

That's just one example, but if anyone could find other negative articles on the 9er's I'd like to seem them, but I'd bet it's probably 10 to 1.

There is definitely some anti-Raven bias, and I think it's mostly because of what somebody else already said - that many picked against us for what was in their mind "valid" reasons(mostly because they harped too much on the 1-4 crap not even knowing that we rested our starters in the final game), and that the absolutely hate being wrong. It starts getting a little personal for them because fans fire back at them for picking against their team.

Again, the parallels to the 2000 season and 2001 superbowl are remarkable. Hopefully the eeriness continues :)

4000+ reporters covering 2 teams for the biggest sporting event of the year, everything players says and do will be under an extreme microscope.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    What I see as the difference is not how much negative stuff there is on Baltimore or the Ravens. It's how much there isn't on the 49er's.

Joe says "retarded" and it's the top link on ESPN's NFL page, Mike and Mike are talking about it etc. 49er's CB says in a very intelligent way... that he would not like gay men in the locker room, and next to nothing.

That's just one example, but if anyone could find other negative articles on the 9er's I'd like to seem them, but I'd bet it's probably 10 to 1.
    So there should be a fairness quota?!

All of the stories thus far should have been reported on and have been. Rays stuff, Joe using the R word, the Niners CB gay comments all deserved to be reported on.

And on every topic, you can google good and bad articles on both teams.

There's a link to a bad Niners article on the boards right now about how their fans are violent animals.

Besides the Ray Lewis stuff, and Joe Flacco, what other "negative" stuff is there?

The 49ers don't have a player who admitted to dealing with shady, moron who peddles supplements that at least are advertised as containing illegal substances. If they did, you can bet it would be out there and it would be an ongoing story.

And Cullivers comments are on NFL.com and ESPN.com's front page right now, and they were front and center last night.

The Ed Reed story is not "negative", the Art Modell HOF stuff is not "negative".

Everybody is not picking against us.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Great piece right now on ESPN about how the Ravens are finding their inspiration ....

Not only was the Culliver story one of the top links yesterday, his apology is the top link right now.

I'm glad the players are chill about all this stuff, because a lot of people here have gone off the deep end.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Not only was the Culliver story one of the top links yesterday, his apology is the top link right now.

I'm glad the players are chill about all this stuff, because a lot of people here have gone off the deep end.
    It was also on Mike and Mike so I don't know where people are getting the idea that nobody is paying attention to it, but they were paying SO MUCH attention to Joe's.