Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

What is really with the national angst about the Ravens/Baltimore? (long)

I used to post over on the Sun once in a blue moon. Nothing's going on there anymore, and I came across this site.....glad I did.

Anyway --OK, I have tried to sit quiet and not be phased by all the anti Raven/Baltimore crap being spewed by the national media. I've consistently tried to not buy into that whole "the media/nation has it out for Baltimore" talk. But this week has really crystalized things --enough is enough.

Joe gets crucified for using the word "retarded", even after apologizing right afterwards. People all but trying to put Ed in a Pats or Colts jersey -- anywhere but Baltimore --before the season is even officially over. People again bringing up Art and imploring TPTB not to enshrine him in Canton. I won't even get into the whole Ray witchhunt, it's so ridiculous. But now you have a 49er making anti-gay comments (and he plays in SF no less!) and it barely registers on the national land scape. I wonder if that was a Raven that said it would it be the 1st story on the front page of ESPN and its lead story on Sports Center.

Seriously what gives with the Baltimore rage? It's been this way for as long as I can remember. I'm not that old, but it still seems that way. The Ravens are hated nationally because (among other reasons) we "stole" Cleveland's team...after all these years no less. Get over it already. The Orioles are disliked because (again among other reasons) allegedly they tried to keep a team out of DC for all those years. Double standard anyone?! So we shouldn't have a football team but yet we shouldn't deny another city a baseball team? WTF?

It was bad enough when I was living/going to school near Indy that I had to constantly hear about my "stolen" team of "thugs" and cracks about the city on top of that. Never mind the irony that this was coming from Colt fans. Oh but that's right --the Colts weren't stolen. Mercifully I am back home now but unfortunately that doesn't make me or us immune to the continual national potshots and slander of our team(s) and town.

I don't understand it. It always seems that when the Ravens and Orioles are good they are generally ignored/minimized. But when they are noncompetitive/bad they always seem to be the "other" team that is being styled against on the highlights. Or just made fun of altogether. And yet when they do so well and are one of the few teams still standing (like this past season) where people are forced to discuss them it always has to have this disdainful, negative edge to it. Seriously.....what is America's problem with our fair city and teams?

I mean, shoot --I thought at worst this week we'd be inundated with sibling rivalry stories until we were bored and sick to death of both John and Jim and Jack and the rest of them. Never anticipated a steady stream of conjecture and intrigue and all out tabloid-type BS (almost exclusively focused on the AFC champ).

Sunday can't get here fast enough.

Blog Entries

Re: What is really with the national angst about the Ravens/Baltimore? (long)

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    I used to post over on the Sun once in a blue moon. Nothing's going on there anymore, and I came across this site.....glad I did.

Anyway --OK, I have tried to sit quiet and not be phased by all the anti Raven/Baltimore crap being spewed by the national media. I've consistently tried to not buy into that whole "the media/nation has it out for Baltimore" talk. But this week has really crystalized things --enough is enough.

Joe gets crucified for using the word "retarded", even after apologizing right afterwards. People all but trying to put Ed in a Pats or Colts jersey -- anywhere but Baltimore --before the season is even officially over. People again bringing up Art and imploring TPTB not to enshrine him in Canton. I won't even get into the whole Ray witchhunt, it's so ridiculous. But now you have a 49er making anti-gay comments (and he plays in SF no less!) and it barely registers on the national land scape. I wonder if that was a Raven that said it would it be the 1st story on the front page of ESPN and its lead story on Sports Center.

Seriously what gives with the Baltimore rage? It's been this way for as long as I can remember. I'm not that old, but it still seems that way. The Ravens are hated nationally because (among other reasons) we "stole" Cleveland's team...after all these years no less. Get over it already. The Orioles are disliked because (again among other reasons) allegedly they tried to keep a team out of DC for all those years. Double standard anyone?! So we shouldn't have a football team but yet we shouldn't deny another city a baseball team? WTF?

It was bad enough when I was living/going to school near Indy that I had to constantly hear about my "stolen" team of "thugs" and cracks about the city on top of that. Never mind the irony that this was coming from Colt fans. Oh but that's right --the Colts weren't stolen. Mercifully I am back home now but unfortunately that doesn't make me or us immune to the continual national potshots and slander of our team(s) and town.

I don't understand it. It always seems that when the Ravens and Orioles are good they are generally ignored/minimized. But when they are noncompetitive/bad they always seem to be the "other" team that is being styled against on the highlights. Or just made fun of altogether. And yet when they do so well and are one of the few teams still standing (like this past season) where people are forced to discuss them it always has to have this disdainful, negative edge to it. Seriously.....what is America's problem with our fair city and teams?

I mean, shoot --I thought at worst this week we'd be inundated with sibling rivalry stories until we were bored and sick to death of both John and Jim and Jack and the rest of them. Never anticipated a steady stream of conjecture and intrigue and all out tabloid-type BS (almost exclusively focused on the AFC champ).

Sunday can't get here fast enough.
    Welcome aboard. As for Baltimore being disliked nationally or by the media, it is a badge of honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Welcome aboard. As for Baltimore being disliked nationally or by the media, it is a badge of honor.
    Damn right.

1) Joe deserves some criticism for his poor choice of words. It will blow over.
    2) The only people who don't want Modell in the HOF are from Cleveland and it will never stop. I hope they put Ogden and Modell in this year so all the Cleveland people will boycott and we can go in peace.
    3) For everybody but us and SF, the season is over and they are looking to the draft. Hometown reporters want to know if they can get a future hall of famer. I don't think its a disrepect toward Baltimore thing. Ed could have just said " I am a Raven now and I have to be in the Superbowl on Sunday."
    4) The Ray Lewis thing can be discussed elsewhere on this board.

The Ravens are not well liked. We have ended the seasons of a lot of teams who thought they were going to be where we are. When a lot of teams come to play the Ravens they think they are ready to take the next step, we beat them and they are left wondering what went wrong.

Mostly with the National Media, I think its about never admitting that you were wrong. They made predictions that Joe Flacco wasn't good enough to get to the Superbowl. Wrong. They said that Cincinnati would be the best team in the division. Wrong. They said Andrew Luck could come into Baltimore and beat a team that went 1-4 down the stretch. Wrong. They said the Ravens had no chance in Denver. Wrong. They said the Ravens would lose to Tom Brady. Wrong. And now a lot of people are saying Jim is the better coach and that the Ravens are too old to keep up with Kaepernick. Are they wrong? We shall see on Sunday but it is the last chance for the Ravens to lose and then those "haters" can go on the air and say "see, I told you all along." The only other alternative is for a lot of people who get paid to be experts to say "I was wrong".

Personally though, I reccomend enjoying it. I like our team being thought of as the bad guys. Being hated is way better than being ignored.

I grew up in Southern Maryland. As a Southern Marylander, I had an open choice as to which city I would identify as being "my city": Washington, DC, internationally reknown as the national capital of the United States, or seemingly provincial, blue collar Baltimore.

I chose Baltimore. She'll always be my city, warts and all.

I get why fans are upset with the media. Yes, some of the media have an obvious anti-Baltimore slant.

But I can just as easily find pro-Bmore news as well. Heck, the much hated Florio is picking the Ravens to win.

So no, I don't think the media as a whole is against Baltimore. It's also important to separate the opinion pieces from the actual journalism. The talking heads are dominating the news right now so it's hard to find actual news right now.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I get why fans are upset with the media. Yes, some of the media have an obvious anti-Baltimore slant.

But I can just as easily find pro-Bmore news as well. Heck, the much hated Florio is picking the Ravens to win.

So no, I don't think the media as a whole is against Baltimore. It's also important to separate the opinion pieces from the actual journalism. The talking heads are dominating the news right now so it's hard to find actual news right now.
    Totally agree.

This "media is out to get us" crap comes up way too often for my taste.

It's the freaking media...they sensationalize EVERYONE and EVERYTHING.

The kid who made the homophobic remarks for the 49ers is getting a TON of negative press and is currently getting grilled by a mass of media as we speak.

Other than Ray's deal, which whether so many people here like it or not, IS a big deal to fans and media around the world...it hasn't been slanted really at all IMHO.

Joe said something stupid. Other than some of the special olympics people saying their piece, it barely was a blip on the national radar. Cullivers remarks are getting much more publicity than Joe's.

Art is never getting in the HOF. This is nothing new. Its a topic EVERY YEAR for crying out loud...and it's a topic at this point every year because they are announcing the class Saturday.

As for Ed, come on...most of us have been saying Ed was likely to be a Patriot back in September. If Patrick Willis was an upcoming UFA, they would be asking him the same questions.

We are one of the only 2 remaining relevant NFL teams. There are going to be positive AND negative stories about both teams. Unfortunately, Ray's story is dominating everything and it's completely warped the opinions of the entirety of the media coverage...if this Ray story never came out, the only other negative story to come out of Baltimore is Joe's "retarded" comment...which was a story for like 15 minutes.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Just do what I've done. Tune out all sports related media. I stopped watching ESPN a few years ago, outside an actual game being played. Stopped reading SI back in September. Get all my sports news from this site and a few other sites with no national bias.

Has made the week alot easier. Besides all this media BS, positive or negative, doesn't mean a damn thing. It's all about what happens on the field Sunday. Thats all I care about and thats all the team cares about.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

There is definitely some anti-Raven bias, and I think it's mostly because of what somebody else already said - that many picked against us for what was in their mind "valid" reasons(mostly because they harped too much on the 1-4 crap not even knowing that we rested our starters in the final game), and that the absolutely hate being wrong. It starts getting a little personal for them because fans fire back at them for picking against their team.

Again, the parallels to the 2000 season and 2001 superbowl are remarkable. Hopefully the eeriness continues :)

4000+ reporters covering 2 teams for the biggest sporting event of the year, everything players says and do will be under an extreme microscope.

Blog Entries

What I see as the difference is not how much negative stuff there is on Baltimore or the Ravens. It's how much there isn't on the 49er's.

Joe says "retarded" and it's the top link on ESPN's NFL page, Mike and Mike are talking about it etc. 49er's CB says in a very intelligent way... that he would not like gay men in the locker room, and next to nothing.

That's just one example, but if anyone could find other negative articles on the 9er's I'd like to seem them, but I'd bet it's probably 10 to 1.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    What I see as the difference is not how much negative stuff there is on Baltimore or the Ravens. It's how much there isn't on the 49er's.

Joe says "retarded" and it's the top link on ESPN's NFL page, Mike and Mike are talking about it etc. 49er's CB says in a very intelligent way... that he would not like gay men in the locker room, and next to nothing.

That's just one example, but if anyone could find other negative articles on the 9er's I'd like to seem them, but I'd bet it's probably 10 to 1.
    Besides the Ray Lewis stuff, and Joe Flacco, what other "negative" stuff is there?

The 49ers don't have a player who admitted to dealing with shady, moron who peddles supplements that at least are advertised as containing illegal substances. If they did, you can bet it would be out there and it would be an ongoing story.

And Cullivers comments are on NFL.com and ESPN.com's front page right now, and they were front and center last night.

The Ed Reed story is not "negative", the Art Modell HOF stuff is not "negative".

Everybody is not picking against us.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.