Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Re: What is really with the national angst about the Ravens/Baltimore? (long)

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Not the statement I was referencing, and you know it.
    The entire gist of the argument is over the fact that you said that Joe's comments brought more coverage than Cullivers...and that is far from the truth.

I said it it was getting the same coverage and you went with the front page stuff...which you really have no leg to stand on if you don't know for sure if Cullivers wasn't ever on the front page.

The fact remains that outside of the Ray Lewis stuff...which is a big national story whether any of us like it or not, the coverage has not been negatively slanted only toward us while the 49ers are getting a free ride.

That has been the entire gist of our disagreement. I nor you are in disagreement that there are quite a few negative Ray Lewis articles. You brought up Joe Flacco as I guess some type of support of your view that we are getting railed in some way by the media. I disagreed and brought up points that it wasn't the case.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

The Ravens have been good enough to be talked about, but have fallen short. Would you prefer we were more like Jacksonville, Cleveland, Buffalo, etc? Many teams aren't relevant enough to talk about. With winning comes criticism. When you don't get Super Bowl wins that opens you up for additional criticism. Win the Super Bowl is the cure. If they lose they expect more of the same.

I'm glad Ray Lewis has been a Raven over the years because of his ability as a football player. But Ray is someone that people can easily criticize. I can understand how people can be critical of his huge persona. His dancing, barking, preaching, crying is something a fan can tolerate, but I can also see how an opponent would be repulsed by. As much as I celebrate his career, I suspect a lot of criticism will retire with him.

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    Despite all my regular typos (fat fingers), I wrote for the WAPO for 7 years.
    Are you Michael Wilbon?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    The entire gist of the argument is over the fact that you said that Joe's comments brought more coverage than Cullivers...and that is far from the truth.

I said it it was getting the same coverage and you went with the front page stuff...which you really have no leg to stand on if you don't know for sure if Cullivers wasn't ever on the front page.

The fact remains that outside of the Ray Lewis stuff...which is a big national story whether any of us like it or not, the coverage has not been negatively slanted only toward us while the 49ers are getting a free ride.

That has been the entire gist of our disagreement. I nor you are in disagreement that there are quite a few negative Ray Lewis articles. You brought up Joe Flacco as I guess some type of support of your view that we are getting railed in some way by the media. I disagreed and brought up points that it wasn't the case.
    Neither one of us can factually prove which story (Culliver or Joe) got more press. So I might not have a leg to stand on and neither do you.

I brought up Flacco as another negative story that was getting a ton of attention, nothing close to Lewis', which is finally starting to die down. I brought up what I felt based on what I saw and given what I felt the level of how bad the two comments were, Joe's got more than it deserved and Culliver's did not get as much as it deserved, like I said it's a touchy subject and I could see no one want to talk about that out of fear of saying the wrong thing, but either way I didn't see as much.

Time to move on, I am not going to get as pissed about this as I did yesterday and let it ruin this once a 12 year event for me.

I am really fired up for the Baltimore Ravens second Super Bowl this weekend against the San Fran 49ers.
    Can't wait.

Did someone say something else is going on this week in New Orleans?
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

iggyman555 Guest

i read pft everyday, its clear that florio is more anti raven than pro raven

#1 Jealousy(smaller town "expansion" team that has so much going for it)
    #2 Racism(team is viewed as "ghetto")
    #3 Massive Steelers fanbase
    #4 Team has made enemies with other large fanbases, including NYG from 2000, NE recently and Dallas when we buried Texas stadium, and Washington(although I think that went away when the Skins exorcised their demons by beating us this year, a lot of Skins fans want the Ravens to win now.)

Honestly though it used to just be massive indifference towards us until this season, even in the media. I don't think the national media is anti-raven, in fact some are adamantly pro-Raven especially at Yahoo sports and prominent ex-Ravens in the media. The criticism of Flacoo was justified and understandable because national media cannot be expected to know that the problem was actually playcalling. Most of the hatred in the media comes from local media(jealous and racist) and national Steelers-fan media like Dave Damesheck and Mike Florio.

Niners fans are right that they are not given enough respect proportional to their dominant history. They don't get the respect the Steelers get even though theyre almost the same. The reason is that Niners fans are not respected because they are NOTORIOUS frontrunners and bandwagon fans.
    Last edited by BmoreBrawla; 01-31-2013 at 02:23 PM.

From what I've experienced in my career, breaking a story and writing bias are not connected.
    Completely, utterly disagree but that's an argument for the Politics area of the boards.

Problems arise when a Quasi-news outlet like PFT, that started as a blog, and really still is one person's opinion with little to no edits, tries to pass itself off like an unbiased news source (and by breaking news).
    PFT has always been a news AND rumor site. It says so right on its page and always has. If people get upset because they are doing as advertised, that's on the reader.

Lots of these problems have been exacerbated by the changing landscape of journalism. Newsrooms are downsizing. "News" isn't cool any more. Social media, twittering and blogs are. Reporters are now asked to be reporters, columnists and bloggers. Those three things don't mix and the line of "reporter" gets further blurred.
    Same disagreement as before.

No definately not Wilbon. If you saw us, you'd never confuse us.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Completely, utterly disagree but that's an argument for the Politics area of the boards.

PFT has always been a news AND rumor site. It says so right on its page and always has. If people get upset because they are doing as advertised, that's on the reader.

Same disagreement as before.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset by their content. I completely understand it and the motives behind it- it's entertaining and an easy/fun read!

But offering a website (or any news outlet) that offers BOTH news and rumors (but posts it all in the same place, in the same style format with ZERO differentiators) is troublesome, IMO because many people can't tell the two apart.

It's like those that "get their news" from The Daily Show. I love the Daily show too, but because I watch it, doesn't mean I'm abreast of the happenings around the world. There are tons of people that "get their NFL news" from PFT.

Blog Entries

They don't hate Baltimore's teams, they hate Baltimore, period.

It's hard to know precisely why, but it's a fact. From the whole "detour" on I-95 wisecrack to inner-city crime (as if Phil., NY, Chi did not have it), and on to the "weird" characters from Baltimore in Edgar Allan Poe and John Waters stories. It's just in the national subconsciousness that Baltimore is the "other."

The "Baltimore is a detour on 95" saying is as old as I am.

So no, it's not "fact" they hate Baltimore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreBrawla View Post
    #1 Jealousy(smaller town "expansion" team that has so much going for it)
    #2 Racism(team is viewed as "ghetto")
    #3 Massive Steelers fanbase
    #4 Team has made enemies with other large fanbases, including NYG from 2000, NE recently and Dallas when we buried Texas stadium, and Washington(although I think that went away when the Skins exorcised their demons by beating us this year, a lot of Skins fans want the Ravens to win now.)
    IMO you're close on some of these, but no cigar.

Let's start with fan bases & ask the "anti-Kojak" question: Who hates us, baby? The list includes--
    • Steelers fans (a large nationwide collection of bandwagoners & the Mullethead Diaspora) for obvious reasons (& we return the favor with gusto!)
    • Browns fans (a smaller but still national contingent of refugees from the Mistake By The Lake) & the entire Cleveland metro area from birth, for even more obvious reasons
    • Cowboys fans (half of Texa plus nationwide bandwagoners) because of the losses in 2008 and 2012 (the latter helping to bounce them from the postseason).
    • The Indianapolis fanbase (PM and now AL bandwagoners plus an older stratum of pure Colts fans outside Maryland who, if they think at all about The Move, think Baltimore got what it deserved for being so mean to nice Mister [expletive deleted]) for ruining their storybook season & because they really don't like to be reminded that they accepted stolen goods--not so much the team as all its records & traditions--from that drunk sonofabitch whose name I shall not type. (There was a quick popquiz on I think NFLN website between video clips & question #4 was "First team with cheerleaders?" & the guy on camera shot back "Indianapolis Colts"--I jumped out of my chair & wanted to strangle the bastard even though I know he's just an actor reading the lines. FTR I would have accepted "Indianapolis Colts when they were in Baltimore"...)
    • Redskins fans (some nationwide holdover from Joe Gibbs days plus professionals who've cycled thru DC) for the Ravens' consistent success just up the road while their owner, the Redskin Peanut, was a national joke, plus prior embarrassments on national TV (& probably for getting Wonderboy RG3 hurt even though it was mostly bad luck)
    • Patriots fans (all of New England plus nationwide bandwagoners & knownothings who just think Tom Brady is sooooo cute plus all the obnoxious Sawx fanbase) for ruining their season, in particular the one-man Pats wrecking crew wearing #31--they are entitled, don't you know? Wasn't it Kraft's late wife who pushed Cundiff's kick wide from up in Heaven? (Memo to Pats fans: Next year if you want divine intervention, try convincing the owner to lay off the young stuff--& encouraging Welker to catch a couple more balls.)
    • Broncos fans (most of the Mountain West plus nationwide PM-jocksniffers & -bandwagoners who transferred their allegiance from Indy) for ruining their season.
    • Giants fans (NYC plus national bandwagoners) for SB 35 plus wrecking their season this year
    • Plus fans of any other team that's given large contracts to former Ravens, mostly defenders, who didn't turn out to be much once removed from the influence of Ray Lewis

--Add the 49ers fans who think we have no right to stand between them & the Lombardi, & that is a shitload of NFL fans in every corner of the USA with reason to dislike the Ravens. And we haven't even gotten to Ray Lewis!

But let's go there. Many non-fans & one-day-a-year-fans (the equivalent of folks who show up at church on Christmas & maybe Easter) know #52 as the face of the Ravens: a vaguely great player (they couldn't tell you why) who was accused of murder & went to jail. The finer points of the situation & case are lost on them. Immediately that makes the team "ghetto" & "full of thugs"--& of course they play dirty, look at that howwid howwid meanie Pollard... Then add in all those who find Ray's continual invocation of God at best unseemly...

Now move on to Baltimore itself. What does the average non-Baltimorean know about the city?
    • Somewhere vaguely between DC and NYC, though many maps omit it while showing smaller cities (in past visits to Europe more locals recognized Annapolis than Baltimore)
    • "The Star-Spangled Banner", which everyone outside of Maryland derides because they don't understand it & can't sing it anyway
    • Gritty crime shows (Homicide, The Wire) that portray the city in the worst possible light
    • The Baltimore Orioles, who haven't been good in years (till this year) but rose up in 2011 to screw over the Sawx (another reason for that fan base to loathe us--team mostly brought it on itself but try telling that herd of arseholes)
    • Steamed crabs (a positive thing)
    • Michael Phelps (a mostly positive thing)
    • Johns Hopkins (maybe--most of 'em don't know it's here & all of 'em leave off the first S)

So we have a very sizeable chunk of NFL fans nationwide with reasons to dislike the Ravens, with very few fans with reasons to like them (IMHO them as do make up in quality what they lack in numbers, but YMMV), and a very substantial chunk of USAns in general (not to mention furriners*) with reasons to dislike the city of Baltimore & very few with reasons to like it.

Now add in the sloth & cowardice of "journalists" working for a national media that has long since sold its soul to Mammon--always reaching for the story that writes itself, the easy take that confirms the prejudices of your audience & will therefore get the sales/views that justify that salary--

& the only question is, Why would anyone expect things to be any other way?

(FTR I've lived all but 1 year of my life within a half-hour's drive of the city & IMHO it's the most underrated big city on the Least Coast re livability. Not sure I want it discovered, except for my friends, a few at a time...)

Oh, and BTW, if the Ravens ever decide to devise a coat of arms for the team, I've got just the Latin motto for it: Oderint dum metuant.