The Science Behind Point Spreads: Vegas doesn't disrespect the Ravens...bettors do!

In a message board post I’ll often see a question like “why does Vegas hate us?” The people setting the lines don’t care about the Ravens. They don’t care about Ray Lewis, they don’t care what Joe Flacco should make next season, and they don’t care when Bernard Pollard says the NFL won’t be around in 30 years. They only really care about how the betting market will price the game so they can closely approximate the spread when they first offer it and hone it before many dollars are wagered to something that will split action appropriately.

More on this misconception and other NFL wagering concepts HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: The Science Behind Point Spreads: Vegas doesn't disrespect the Ravens...bettors do!

Quote Originally Posted by link
    Complaining about the line does no good and may cause you to miss an opportunity.

When I hear people complaining about the point spread, I’m always reminded of a scene for the classic film The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

A mispriced line is an opportunity, not an affront. So when it’s time to bet…bet, don’t talk. You’ll have time to talk when you’re collecting.
    This is exactly why I love when the Ravens are the underdog.

Re: The Science Behind Point Spreads: Vegas doesn't disrespect the Ravens...bettors do!

The more I watch the NFL network, the more I see the 49ers getting more air time and more people picking them to win. I think it's all just an advertisement to get the average person to bet money on the 49ers, so when the Ravens win, Vegas makes a lot more money.