Blog Entries

Super Bowl 47 Expert Picks

It looks like all but one CBS expert likes us straight up and ATS. I would rather they all keep hating us...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/feature...straight-up/22

Re: Super Bowl 47 Expert Picks

So some people do learn...

Every time the CBS prediction machine has picked against us, we've won! It's doing it again this week, so I like our chances.

Blog Entries

That's a shock, I've heard mostly 49ers picks from the experts. They are giving HJ to Kaepernick.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

espn.go.com/nfl/picks Most ESPN talking heads are going with the Whiners

Odd how CBS is favoring the Ravens while ESPN is favoring SF
    Last edited by EdReed4HOF; 01-30-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    90% of the game is half mental

Blog Entries

We will be picked by many because most people wont like the match up with our veteran D against a very inexperienced Kaepernick. John Harbaugh is very good at preparing his teams after a week off/bye week, and usually with more time, formulating a plan to stop an unorthodox offense like what SF run becomes a lot easier than only having a week to prepare for it. The tape is out there, Seattle and SL have provided us with all the tape we need, while they torched a bunch of awful defenses (Chicago not withstanding). You also have to take into account how well rested our stars are now, a lot of them have spent weeks off during the regular season with injuries etc, they had the Cincy game in week 17 off, and now have a bye week before the SB while on a hot streak, there are very minimal injuries on our team, and its seems like everyone on D is getting healthy at the right time. Suggs seems to be in better shape now, Ray Lewis is playing possessed, while Kruger and Ellerbe continue to emerge, and Reed is back there, could decide the game.

Frankly, I wont be surprised if SF win, but I think its going to be tough for their offense, I think we match up well with them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Frankly, I wont be surprised if SF win, but I think its going to be tough for their offense, I think we match up well with them.
    I think that's the only agreement I've seen...everyone thinks this is a VERY good matchup game. Should be one of the best Super Bowls in years, according to most of the talking heads.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

If you look at the aggregate W-L record during the playoffs of the prognosticators on CBS it's pretty close to 50/50, take that with a grain of salt. ESPN picks are split but leaning towards the 49ers. I'm not surprised by that.

Quote Originally Posted by EdReed4HOF View Post

A number of those ESPN guys always pick against the Ravens unless the Ravens are prohibitive favorites. Notably Hodge, Keyshawn, and Chris Carter. Too many people there pick with their hearts instead of heads.

Jaws, Schlereth, and Golic are exceptions. Those guys usually do their homework.

Quote Originally Posted by EdReed4HOF View Post

CBS broadcasts AFC games and their announcers and analysts go more in depth on AFC teams I think. Lason La Canfora is a Baltimore guy even though I think his bias rarely shows through.

I have no problem with people thinking the 49ers are favored. They are a very good football team. If there are areas where I think people might be over-estimating its:

- The notion that Jim is clearly the better coach than John. What John has done over 5 years is truly amazing. When you consider the injuries that we had this season nd the difficulty of the schedule, its pretty amazing we are here. People talk about the Kaepernick switch, but people forget that John made the decision to go into the season with a rookie kicker. It worked out but its pretty ballsy.

- The assumption that SF's offensive weapons are clearly better than the Ravens. I don't see it. The styles are different, but the Ravens have been putting up points as well as anybody in the last month against quality competition.

As a Ravens fan, I am most concerned about their LB's being able to stop us on 3rd down. THey are very good. If I were a 49er fan, I would be most concerned that this game comes down to field goal kickers. If it does, I like the Ravens chances.

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    - The assumption that SF's offensive weapons are clearly better than the Ravens. I don't see it. The styles are different, but the Ravens have been putting up points as well as anybody in the last month against quality competition.
    Yeah, that seems to be some prevailing thought, but it's kinda silly. We have clearly better players at most of the skill positions, other than maybe TE.

Despite the CK lovefest, Flacco is the better, more experienced QB, our receivers are VASTLY better, we have TWO great RB's, with Rice > Gore anyway. Both OL's are talented and great. It's really not even a contest. If we played the Niners weak schedule, we might have gone 14-2 and scored 500 points, even with the myriad of injuries.

I was listening to Ross Tucker on Sirius yesterday afternoon, and a knowledgeable Niners fan called in, and he was talking up the Niners a bit, while predicting the Niners would be down but come back in the second half to win. Tucker asked a simple question "Who is going to be able to cover Torrey Smith? Frankly, I don't see that guy on your roster". The caller agreed, but countered that he thinks the Niner's offense is going to be able to put up a lot of points.