Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Football Gameplan's Super Bowl XLVII Preview - Ravens vs Niners

Quote Originally Posted by EmDiggy View Post
    As for the Unbalanced formation..its a legal formation as Kyle Cactus noted!
    Bullshit.

At 2:29 of the video, in the bottom right corner of the whiteboard, you have a TE, two WRs and the RB lined up behind the line of scrimmage on the right side of the line. That's 5 men in the backfield, with 6 on the LoS, and that gets you pushed back 5 yards every-freakin'-time.

Moreover, if one of the receivers steps up to the LoS, the TE who started out on the LoS is now covered & ineligible. And unless that receiver who steps up goes to the left side of the line, the LT remains uncovered & therefore eligible. If the receiver stepping up does go to the left end of the OL, then the formation is no longer unbalanced.

If you want to diagram an unbalanced formation that's legal, you'd need to flip the TE on the LoS with the LG, & then move one of the WRs on the right side to the LoS to cover the latter up. But you simply cannot put 4 receivers out to one side of the line with a QB and RB in the backfield--the numbers just don't work.
    Last edited by lobachevsky; 01-31-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Thanks Gang!! i really appreciate that! Listen, you guys know I will always be fair and unbiased as well as keep it just football! Glad you guys enjoy my perspective without the spin.

Try to remember that the Ravens saw this offense with Washington without major (SMART) players out for that game. Also, Ravens have had 2 weeks to prepare (which Kaepernick hasnt seen). Ravens offense is totally different up front now and use more protection packages than vs Washington. Ravens take it.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Bullshit.

At 2:29 of the video, in the bottom right corner of the whiteboard, you have a TE, two WRs and the RB lined up behind the line of scrimmage on the right side of the line. That's 5 men in the backfield, with 6 on the LoS, and that gets you pushed back 5 yards every-freakin'-time.

Moreover, if one of the receivers steps up to the LoS, the TE who started out on the LoS is now covered & ineligible. And unless that receiver who steps up goes to the left side of the line, the LT remains uncovered & therefore eligible. If the receiver stepping up does go to the left end of the OL, then the formation is no longer unbalanced.

If you want to diagram an unbalanced formation that's legal, you'd need to flip the TE on the LoS with the LG, & then move one of the WRs on the right side to the LoS to cover the latter up. But you simply cannot put 4 receivers out to one side of the line with a QB and RB in the backfield--the numbers just don't work.
    Correct.

Thanks Gang!! i really appreciate that! Listen, you guys know I will always be fair and unbiased as well as keep it just football! Glad you guys enjoy my perspective without the spin.

Actually I noted it as illegal...