Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Who really has homefield advantage...

San Francisco may be the home team on paper, however which team has more New Orleans Natives and are using that to their advantage.

We all know Ed Reed is from there and is excited about playing the Superbowl in his hometown. Also Jacoby Jones has been very vocal about what it means to him to play in his town. His mom even cooked a meal for 150 Ravens and staff when they landed. www.baltimoreravens.com

Do the 49ers have any natives?

Do you think the "home" feeling theyre receiving from team mates families will be an advantage on an otherwise neutral site?
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Re: Who really has homefield advantage...

Last night the NFLNetwork showed last year's superbowl and it was clear there were many more Giant fans there than Pats. I think it will be similar this year with Raven fans outnumbering 9ers and making noise at the right times. If anyone has a slight advantage I'd say Baltimore

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I have friends and work relationships with people in the Bay Area, and the general consensus seems to be that the 49ers have a pretty weak fanbase. They're more of a wine and cheese crowd, Candlestick Park is one of the quietest home stadiums in the NFL, and their fans do not travel outside of Cali. All in all, your usual West Coast types. (Although oddly enough there does seem to be a substantial thug element to the crowd at Candlestick because of all the murders and assaults that have happened there over the last few years.)

If you saw the 49ers "send off" pictures yesterday compared to the Inner Harbor, it was an absolute joke. I'm not sure the 49ers had 1,000 people turn out while the entire Inner Harbor was packed wall to wall with screaming, rabid Ravens fans. I know a fairly large number of people are making the trip, some of whom aren't even going to the game.

The stadium distribution is supposed to be equal between 49ers and Ravens fans in terms of ticket sales but I would anticipate more crowd noise and energy from our guys than their's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I have friends and work relationships with people in the Bay Area, and the general consensus seems to be that the 49ers have a pretty weak fanbase. They're more of a wine and cheese crowd, Candlestick Park is one of the quietest home stadiums in the NFL, and their fans do not travel outside of Cali. All in all, your usual West Coast types. (Although oddly enough there does seem to be a substantial thug element to the crowd at Candlestick because of all the murders and assaults that have happened there over the last few years.)

If you saw the 49ers "send off" pictures yesterday compared to the Inner Harbor, it was an absolute joke. I'm not sure the 49ers had 1,000 people turn out while the entire Inner Harbor was packed wall to wall with screaming, rabid Ravens fans. I know a fairly large number of people are making the trip, some of whom aren't even going to the game.

The stadium distribution is supposed to be equal between 49ers and Ravens fans in terms of ticket sales but I would anticipate more crowd noise and energy from our guys than their's.
    All west coast crowds tend to be tame and quiet, apart from Seattle and Denver. Just off topic a little, but I think Gillete stadium may be one of the quietest stadiums in the NFL, their fans were non existent in the Houston and Baltimore games, seems they like to make more noise on the internet or on talk radios.

I've never been to Baltimore to watch a game, will do one day obviously, but as a kind of outsider, Baltimore has a very similar crowd to what you'd expect here in the English premier league or the rugby stadiums. The town is so emotionally tied with the Ravens, and so into its team, it is great, Baltimore have by far the best sports fans in the NFL, its like a college atmosphere. I expect to hear a lot of noisy Ravens fans, and not much noise from the 9ers crowd.

We have 18 people making the trip to New Orleans. Only 4 of us currently don't have tickets. I heard from a friend (although I don't know his source) the airlines are reporting 3 to 1 Baltimore to San Francisco people flying into the area.

I don't think any advantage is going to come from which team has more players from the NOLA area.

The advantage is going to come from which teams fans travel better and will have access to the game itself.

Keep in mind, Baltimore is pretty blue collar while SF is rather snobbish and with that snobbery comes money. It costs a fortune to live in SF and the average fan can more readily afford to go to the game than the average fan can from Baltimore. But then you have to figure in that SF is not a hot bed of football fans anymore. They are far away more of a baseball town than anything so they am limit the folks who will actually make the trip.

We will know for sure about a hour before kickoff.

Blog Entries

Our fanbase does travel well and I think the reports that San Fran just isnt a football town rings true. That along with a longer week and closer ties to the city itself I think will really give us an advantage, as we wont "feel away" as much as the 49ers possibly. I cant seem to find that anywhere that talks about a 49er from New Orleans. If were getting home cooked meals while theyre getting hotel room service it may not be much but id feel "homier" that way. obviously thats not a daily thing but little things like that I think will add up.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I've also heard a lot of rumors that the NO fans (particularly the older fan base) still dislike the 9ers from the old rivalary days they used to have. I've heard that the Saints fans want to see purple jerseys around their town over 9er jerseys, they will be rooting for us. Plus NO have next to no rival history with the Ravens.

Blog Entries

The Super Bowl means so much to the players that I don't think it matter who is being cheered for. In these events pretty much everyone gets cheers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I've also heard a lot of rumors that the NO fans (particularly the older fan base) still dislike the 9ers from the old rivalary days they used to have. I've heard that the Saints fans want to see purple jerseys around their town over 9er jerseys, they will be rooting for us. Plus NO have next to no rival history with the Ravens.
    good point, which i didnt really think of either.
    -JAB

I strongly suspect the crowd is going to heavily be in favor of the Ravens.

First, the Niners have a weak fan base and have for years. That much was readily apparent looking at the respective send-off's for the teams. They aren't much for traveling either. You don't really see thousands of Niner fans at games in Seattle or Arizona. Granted it's not a car drive away, but these are supposed to be rich, affluent types, they could afford it. On the other hand, in the AFCC game, there were more than 10K Ravens fans at Gillette, some estimated even more than that.

Second, the Ravens seem to be the sentimental favorite. Not sure if it's Ray's Last Ride, or them being the underdog with the chip on the shoulder, or what, but the feeling I get is that more people want to see the Ravens win than the Niners. I don't think either team is especially liked, but in NO, the Niners are especially disliked. Not that many NO natives will be there.

I think that the real reason is the first point, that the Ravens fanbase travels well, and this rabidity will translate to raw numbers, as well as a lot of noise.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    All west coast crowds tend to be tame and quiet, apart from Seattle and Denver. Just off topic a little, but I think Gillete stadium may be one of the quietest stadiums in the NFL, their fans were non existent in the Houston and Baltimore games, seems they like to make more noise on the internet or on talk radios.

I've never been to Baltimore to watch a game, will do one day obviously, but as a kind of outsider, Baltimore has a very similar crowd to what you'd expect here in the English premier league or the rugby stadiums. The town is so emotionally tied with the Ravens, and so into its team, it is great, Baltimore have by far the best sports fans in the NFL, its like a college atmosphere. I expect to hear a lot of noisy Ravens fans, and not much noise from the 9ers crowd.
    ot: whos your soccer team