Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Oh, geez, here it comes (dread)...

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Videotape a phone call.

Does that mean the audio from the phone is picked up, or is it just recording a phone call with him talking?

Because I could videotape myself on a phone call with Obama, or Madonna or Fidel Castro. Unless you can actually hear and confirm the person's voice on the other end of the phone, I just don't see what a videotaped phone call proves.

People fake phone calls all the time to get out of conversations. I can pretend anyone in the world is on the other line. I can use fake names. I can make fake responses.
    hahaha, I thought this too...Can the media REALLY be that dumb to run with a flimsy video of a guy talking into a phone who claims "I WAS TALKING TO RAY RAY"?

Maybe...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    That's not definitive that he heard it either.

Neither one of us knows and until the writer...whom I'm sure will be asked about this report a lot over the next couple weeks sheds more light on it, we won't know.

I don't think you can clearly say that he didn't hear it anymore than someone saying he clearly did.

But either way, it's a very, very bad look.
    Yeah..like he had time "hours" after the game while in the hospital to set up a phone conversation, while he still hasn't had a full diagnosis. Does he have this guy on a Sunday on speed dial on his cellphone? It's a Sunday night, you think this guy in Mountain time is in his office at night? Facts don't add up.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Yeah, there is fire. The first line of the SI article reads:

$$$$$

Also, has Singh been crucified by the PGA?

Also from the SI article:
    Did Lewis really say "this" twice, or is that a typo?

Apparently he said that just after the tear in the Cowboys game (Oct 14th). Clearly he didn't return the next week. In fact he was out for months.

Also apparently Hue Jackson was the point of contact for Ravens and SWATS, and also took their products with him to Oakland.
    I took it as him saying, "I have to get back on THIS product, THIS week." Not a typo or anything, but i could be wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    It does suck that it is swallowing up media day, though.
    By design no doubt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    actually the whole ray Lewis part is preceded by the word allegedly
    I must have missed it. Here is the passage I was referring to:

"Hours after he tore his triceps during an Oct. 14 home game against the Cowboys, Ravens All-Pro linebacker Ray Lewis and Ross connected on the phone. Again, Ross videotaped the call.
    "It's bottom, near the elbow," Lewis said of the tear. After asking a few pseudo diagnostic questions, Ross concluded, "All right, well this is going to be simple. . . . How many pain chips you got around the house?"
    "I got plenty of them," Lewis replied.
    Ross prescribed a deluxe program, including holographic stickers on the right elbow; copious quantities of the powder additive; sleeping in front of a beam-ray light programmed with frequencies for tissue regeneration and pain relief; drinking negatively charged water; a 10-per-day regimen of the deer-antler pills that will "rebuild your brain via your small intestines" (and which Lewis said he hadn't been taking, then swallowed four during the conversation); and spritzes of deer-antler velvet extract (the Ultimate Spray) every two hours.
    "Spray on my elbow every two hours?" Lewis asked.
    "No," Ross said, "under your tongue."
    Toward the end of the talk, Lewis asked Ross to "just pile me up and just send me everything you got, because I got to get back on this this week."
    Ross says he provided the products free of charge. He even trotted out a novel S.W.A.T.S. technology for the star client: undergarments -- black with Lewis's name and number in -purple -- drenched in pungent menthol liquid that Key and Ross exposed to radio waves. All Ross wanted in return, he told Lewis, is for the future Hall of Famer to tell the truth -- that he used S.W.A.T.S. products -- when he returned to the field.
    On Dec. 5, Lewis practiced for the first time. He did not play in the final regular-season games, but remained a boisterous sideline presence and joined the jubilant locker room celebration after Baltimore routed the Giants 33-14 on Dec. 23 to win the AFC North.
    Lewis had not talked to media for 10 weeks while he rehabbed his injury. Asked by SI if he had worked with Key and Ross during his recovery, he initially demurred. "I didn't work with them personally this time," he said.
    When pressed, Lewis said, "Nobody helped me out with the rehab. I've been doing S.W.A.T.S. for a couple years through Hue Jackson, that's it. That's my only connection to them."
    Asked if he had talked to Ross the night of his injury, Lewis replied, "I told him to send me some more of the regular stuff, the S.W.A.T.S., the stickers or whatever."
    And did they help?
    "I think a lot of things helped me."
    So would he suggest S.W.A.T.S. to other players?
    "If I did, I would've done said it by now," Lewis said. Asked specifically about the spray and the pills, Lewis walked away without comment.
    "

The way they wrote it was so definitive (no hedge words, "allegedly," "reportedly," "according to," etc.) that it makes me think that they verified the source material. Being an attorney, I would NEVER in a million years let a journalist write a definitive fact like, "X called Y on date Z to talk about ABC" without damn well making sure that they were covered on the factual assertion. Alleging facts like that -- particularly when tied to material that could damage a person's reputation -- without checking the source material is begging to get sued for libel/slander/defamation.

I have heard of sloppy journalism, but this would take the cake.

In addition, they apparently tried to confirm by interviewing Ray and Ray admitted to using SWATs. (From the sounds of the interview, it appeared that they caught him by surprise.)
    Would they not be safe from a slander lawsuit since they really cant prove there was malice? I mean, they can say whatever they want, as long as no one can prove they KNEW that it was untrue. Right?

Ray Lewis wound up as MVP of the Super Bowl when the media was hounding him about the Atlanta murders. He'll get through this too. Things like this light a fire in him and I have no doubt that what the media is trying to accomplish here will have the opposite effect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    hahaha, I thought this too...Can the media REALLY be that dumb to run with a flimsy video of a guy talking into a phone who claims "I WAS TALKING TO RAY RAY"?

Maybe...
    "Hey man who you talking to?"

"Ray Lewis"

"Cool - I believe you"

"Wait...gotta go...Beyonce is on the line...I will record myself talking on the phone with her to prove that it is her."

"Later"

I must have missed it. Here is the passage I was referring to:

"Hours after he tore his triceps during an Oct. 14 home game against the Cowboys, Ravens All-Pro linebacker Ray Lewis and Ross connected on the phone. Again, Ross videotaped the call.
    "It's bottom, near the elbow," Lewis said of the tear. After asking a few pseudo diagnostic questions, Ross concluded, "All right, well this is going to be simple. . . . How many pain chips you got around the house?"
    "I got plenty of them," Lewis replied.
    Ross prescribed a deluxe program, including holographic stickers on the right elbow; copious quantities of the powder additive; sleeping in front of a beam-ray light programmed with frequencies for tissue regeneration and pain relief; drinking negatively charged water; a 10-per-day regimen of the deer-antler pills that will "rebuild your brain via your small intestines" (and which Lewis said he hadn't been taking, then swallowed four during the conversation); and spritzes of deer-antler velvet extract (the Ultimate Spray) every two hours.
    "Spray on my elbow every two hours?" Lewis asked.
    "No," Ross said, "under your tongue."
    Toward the end of the talk, Lewis asked Ross to "just pile me up and just send me everything you got, because I got to get back on this this week."
    Ross says he provided the products free of charge. He even trotted out a novel S.W.A.T.S. technology for the star client: undergarments -- black with Lewis's name and number in -purple -- drenched in pungent menthol liquid that Key and Ross exposed to radio waves. All Ross wanted in return, he told Lewis, is for the future Hall of Famer to tell the truth -- that he used S.W.A.T.S. products -- when he returned to the field.
    On Dec. 5, Lewis practiced for the first time. He did not play in the final regular-season games, but remained a boisterous sideline presence and joined the jubilant locker room celebration after Baltimore routed the Giants 33-14 on Dec. 23 to win the AFC North.
    Lewis had not talked to media for 10 weeks while he rehabbed his injury. Asked by SI if he had worked with Key and Ross during his recovery, he initially demurred. "I didn't work with them personally this time," he said.
    When pressed, Lewis said, "Nobody helped me out with the rehab. I've been doing S.W.A.T.S. for a couple years through Hue Jackson, that's it. That's my only connection to them."
    Asked if he had talked to Ross the night of his injury, Lewis replied, "I told him to send me some more of the regular stuff, the S.W.A.T.S., the stickers or whatever."
    And did they help?
    "I think a lot of things helped me."
    So would he suggest S.W.A.T.S. to other players?
    "If I did, I would've done said it by now," Lewis said. Asked specifically about the spray and the pills, Lewis walked away without comment.
    "
    Confusing myself. The word allegedly was used in the article reporting in the original article. My bad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by outlander512 View Post
    Would they not be safe from a slander lawsuit since they really cant prove there was malice? I mean, they can say whatever they want, as long as no one can prove they KNEW that it was untrue. Right?
    Technically, you are right -- and Ray is a public figure, so they have even more leeway. But my reputation is everything. If I want to keep getting interviews, and if I want to have a reputation as being upright, I would NEVER ever allow a journalist to cite a statement of fact that was not verified. I would just never do it.

I might win a verdict -- but I don't ever want it to get that far. I don't want to get to a trial. I don't want to get to discovery and summary judgment. I want this suit dismissed in the motion to dismiss stage. If it goes further, not only do I risk legal fees and a judgment, but I risk losing access to sports franchises and athletes who refuse to talk to me out for self-preservation or sympathy for Ray.

A good lawyer steers you clear not just of damages, but of larger risks -- even if you could have "won" in court.

Gotcha Hammerhead. I could be wrong on this, but didnt S.I. kinda botch up the T'eo story. Didnt they contact the school that the girl allegedly went to and they said they had no record of her. And then they ran the story anyway, just without the statemenst from the college?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by outlander512 View Post
    Gotcha Hammerhead. I could be wrong on this, but didnt S.I. kinda botch up the T'eo story. Didnt they contact the school that the girl allegedly went to and they said they had no record of her. And then they ran the story anyway, just without the statemenst from the college?
    Exactly. And you would think that given that experience, they would have tightened up their procedures for a story set to hit this week. If they messed this up so close to the Manti story, well, God help them.

Also, I misspoke earlier. In some jurisdictions, an obvious falsehood that injures a person's reputation can be libel without there being any proof of malice. So Ray would have to shop the appropriate forum and bring suit there. Something that shouldn't be too hard given that SI is a national paper with a significant web presence. He should be able to establish jurisdiction almost anywhere in the country.