Awesome read! It's great having a former personnel guy on staff for this sort of insight into the FO's draft thinking.

Haloti Ngata, DT (2006): I was in the Ravens' war room during the 2006 NFL Draft. We were looking for a big, athletic defensive tackle to help protect Lewis, someone who could also provide some interior pass rush, and we'd had our sights set on Ngata well over a month before draft day. When it looked like the Cleveland Browns might select Ngata one spot ahead of us, Ozzie made the call to send them a late draft pick in order to move up a spot and secure the talented defensive tackle from Oregon. Newsome believes a strong defense is built up the middle. With Ngata, we were set with elite players at defensive tackle, middle linebacker and free safety.
Anquan Boldin, WR (2010): During my time in Baltimore's personnel department, the extent to which Newsome appreciated Boldin's play with the Arizona Cardinals was never a secret. The wide receiver's toughness, attitude and timely playmaking were qualities that were plentiful on the Ravens' defense but sorely lacking on the other side of the ball. I always thought Ozzie saw an image of himself in Boldin: a clutch player who could be a third-down security blanket for a developing signal-caller. Boldin has been outstanding during his time in Baltimore