Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 141
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,256

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....



    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    The point is, he doesn't have to, nor should he/she.
    Why.




  2. #92
    George Carlin has come to mind reading all this.

    SHELLSHOCK!!

    Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2




  3. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    73

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Because of the freedom of speech... and you have the right to think that a person who uses word X is a Y.




  4. #94
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area
    Posts
    2,215

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    BcR--
    We've talked a lot of good football in the past, and I consider you a reasonable poster, so please understand I'm not attacking you, but perhaps we're "violently agreeing"! When you say "Perhaps every time we're about to speak, we should take a step back, count to 10, form our words, then say them slowly so we do not offend anyone.", I agree, and thus my comment that Flacco might need a refresher on how NFL players are trained to speak to the media.

    As far as the media ferreting out controversial statements, my interpretation of most of the links offered in this thread is that the media has their panties in a bunch (the "P" word? ) over the debate on where games should be played, and not that Flacco used the "R" word.

    Regarding making a mountain out of a molehill, I tend to agree with those who believe that a little civility and consideration of other's feelings is not out of order. Sticks and stones and .40 caliber ammo will likely break my bones, so I try and avoid them. Words will never inflict the same damage, at least towards me, but I'm willing to recognize that some MAY be hurt or offended by certain terms, and I can honor that. I guess the question remains as to which words and with whom. This relates more to my comment about Flacco making an ill-timed and poor choice of words like "retarded", which by cultural use seems okay to some, but in a more educated and aware environment should have been avoided. Maybe this is analogous, maybe not, but I see a similarity in the historical use of the "N" word (no, not Niners). I find it offensive, and I'm a white guy. IMO, it doesn't have a lot of practical use in most situations other than to create problems. Using "retarded" to describe why a Super Bowl should not be played in foul weather seems to be a similar non-starter.
    Last edited by Beau Petard; 01-29-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: misspelled "Suber" Bowl! :o




  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Severna Park
    Posts
    3,441
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Even if I agreed with that statement, which I don't, Captain Silver was not being specific to this example. He was broadly stating that people should not care about things unless they personally affect them, which is a statement so morally and historically dubious I don't even know where to start.
    Back up the pretentiousness bus. Not caring in context of a word his hardly morally dubious. You presume much because I think using the word retard, which is in a dictionary to describe something is akin to having no morals is categorically wrong and pathetic logic.

    The problem with what Flacco said is that there are people in this country that get into hissy fits over the fact he said retarded.




  6. #96
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    73

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    which by cultural use seems okay to some, but in a more educated and aware environment should have been avoided.
    PC ≠ Educated, although I agree that an educated person would know what is or isn't PC, even if they choose to express themselves otherwise.




  7. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmormon View Post
    Because of the freedom of speech... and you have the right to think that a person who uses word X is a Y.
    Ah freedom of speech.

    You're right, freedom of speech dictates that none of us have any right to prevent anyone else from calling something retarded.

    But it cuts both ways, so WE can say that anyone who insists on using retarded as a pejorative is an asshole. (Note, Flacco is not an asshole because he recognized his gaffe and immediately retracted it. It's the folks who seem hell bent on insisting that he shouldn't have had to who I'm talking about here.)

    Again, NO ONE is FORCING ANYONE to be PC. There are no word police, thought police, or idea police. No one who calls things they don't like retarded is going to be dragged into the street and shot.

    You are free to call anything you want retarded. But you are not free from being called out for that.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  8. #98

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Yeah, no, see the fun thing about being an individual is that I get to decide what I want to "get the fuck over." Since this isn't one of those things and aggressive language doesn't bother me, you need to bark up a different tree.



    You clearly don't get the point, and that is sad. A post ago you said context is everything. And now you are comparing literal, commonsensical applications of the word "retard" and "retarded" in mundane situations to use of it when it refers to mentally challenged people. Ha. I get the feeling it would be a waste of time to continue talking to you.



    Boo-fucking-hoo. Your life is so hard. Sometimes you have to say extra syllables.


    Boo-Fucking-hoo someone said you word you don't like. So fucking what.

    You have issues with the words Moron, Idiot, Imbecile, Stupid or Dumb? Should he have used any of those words instead? Guess what they all mean almost the exact same thing. They almost all have to do with being mentally retarded.

    Just because mental midget PC sissies get bent over the use of a word does not make it a federal offense.




  9. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    73

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Yes ASB, that is exactly right, and was alluded to in my "you have the right to think that a person who uses word X is a Y" statement. But you calling the person anything back only furthers the non-PC stance adding merit to the "don't be such a thin skinned whimp" argument from the PC side.




  10. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,256

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Back up the pretentiousness bus. Not caring in context of a word his hardly morally dubious. You presume much because I think using the word retard, which is in a dictionary to describe something is akin to having no morals is categorically wrong and pathetic logic.

    The problem with what Flacco said is that there are people in this country that get into hissy fits over the fact he said retarded.
    So someone who says "you presume much" wants other people to "back up the pretentiousness bus"? That's rich.

    And you're right, it would have been "categorically wrong and pathetic logic" of me if I had said what you said I did. Fortunately, I didn't. (Reading comprehension!)

    Here is what you said:

    When did America turn into a bunch of pussies? You people need to get thicker skin and not give a damn about what people say unless it is directed at you.

    Here is what I said after:

    Captain Silver was not being specific to this [the "retard" situation] example. He was broadly stating that people should not care about things unless they personally affect them, which is a statement so morally and historically dubious I don't even know where to start.

    So to reiterate:

    What you said sure as hell sounds like a general statement to me! So, yes, I think that "not giv[ing] a damn about what people say unless it is directed at you" is extremely morally dubious. Mostly because of a little thing called empathy.




  11. #101

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    The Euphamism Treadmill that was brought up was a great point.

    MY issue with the "PC craze" isn't the intention, it's the execution. The problem is that the accepted term turns into a derogatory term adn is replaced now on a nearly annual basis. It is becoming increasingly hard o "keep up with the times" an use today's corrrect terminology for a certain subset of the populace.

    Let's use those people that due to genetics are Far shorter then average. Midget, Dwarf... been bad for a while. Ok no problem, I can avoid those terms. So first I was trained to say vertically challenged or height challenged, and now "little people" is the term. The problem, to me, is that the new term is the most condescending of all so it is only a matter of time before a new term is born. It is far easier for a society to conform with new fangled terminology when it isn't such a quickly moving target. Like it's on a treadmill.




  12. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmormon View Post
    Yes ASB, that is exactly right, and was alluded to in my "you have the right to think that a person who uses word X is a Y" statement. But you calling the person anything back only furthers the non-PC stance adding merit to the "don't be such a thin skinned whimp" argument from the PC side.
    No, if I called him something else that was a pejorative term used to insult a minority class it would add merit to the other side. If I said, "Calling something retarded is something I only expect from low class niggers" then I'd be a hypocrite and a fool. But calling someone who insists on exercising his right to call something retarded an asshole doesn't really compare.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  13. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    73

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    No, if I called him something else that was a pejorative term used to insult a minority class it would add merit to the other side. If I said, "Calling something retarded is something I only expect from low class niggers" then I'd be a hypocrite and a fool. But calling someone who insists on exercising his right to call something retarded an asshole doesn't really compare.
    So you think calling people assholes is politically correct?




  14. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,735

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Why.
    Why what?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  15. #105
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,735

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    No, if I called him something else that was a pejorative term used to insult a minority class it would add merit to the other side. If I said, "Calling something retarded is something I only expect from low class niggers" then I'd be a hypocrite and a fool. But calling someone who insists on exercising his right to call something retarded an asshole doesn't really compare.
    I'm offended by this, could you pleas edit this...
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland